Complaint Review: Pets & People Humane Society

• Updated: Thu, May 17, 2012

• Reported By: ihateunethicalcompanies — Oklahoma USA
Pets & People Humane Society
701 Inla Street Yukon, Oklahoma United States of America

Pets & People Humane Society Rude Impolite Nasty Impatient Pets Adopt Humane Society Dog Animal Shelter Yukon, Oklahoma

*Consumer Comment: If it's so good why all the complaints

*Author of original report: Thank YOU

*Consumer Comment: ihateunethical

*Author of original report: Amy

*Consumer Comment: Ignorant SCUMBAGS!

*Consumer Comment: Can I file a report on "ihateunethical..."?

*Author of original report: Oh, please

*Consumer Comment: That's Not What I Experienced...

*Author of original report: Pets and Peoples true nature comes out

*UPDATE Employee: Perfect Example

*Author of original report: Pets and People are confused

*UPDATE Employee: Not true!

*Consumer Suggestion: Unfortunately

Wow! Words can't describe how unpleasant our interaction was with this non-profit.

The volunteer "greeted" us very rudely and acted as if she'd rather disembowel herself with a spoon than be bothered by someone wanting to adopt an animal.

Unfortunately, we did not pass their screening questions.  You can't have another animal, children, or keep your pets outside during the day just FYI. If you really want an animal from these people, you are going to have to lie.

All of the poor animals are kept in crowded, dirty conditions.  The smell of animal feces and urine is overwhelming in this facility.  The grounds were also littered with animal feces - apparently it is not a priority for them to clean up after the pets.

I will not deal with this non-profit again, nor will I support their thrift store or charity.  I will also recommend that others stay away from them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2011 08:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pets-People-Humane-Society/Yukon-Oklahoma-73085/Pets-People-Humane-Society-Rude-Impolite-Nasty-Impatient-Pets-Adopt-Humane-Society-Dog-712561. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pets & People Humane Society

If it's so good why all the complaints

AUTHOR: petsandpeoplesuck - (United States of America)

You can't defend all the criticism this place gets. The workers there definitely have an agenda. I have been to other no kill shelters and was treated 100% better. There's no excuse for rudeness. Especially in the pet rescue arena where dealing with the public and being a good ambassador is crucial. Enough people hear that a place is bad and it will get shut down or go out of business. Being a non profit and doing good work is no excuse for snotty, unprofessional,rude,upidity 20 something girls with their no it all attitudes treating me like I'm a ignoramus that's just dumping a dog that ate my favorite shoes. I worked with this dog for 3 months patiently and still reluctantly took her back to the shelter. Some adoptions don't work out, in a perfect world they would. I was sad already I had to take the dog back, I didn't need this girl, and i will say girl, attitude.

AUTHOR: ihateunethicalcompanies - (USA)

Thank you for continuing to bump up this Ripoff Report higher in the search engine rankings.

I really do hope that you continue to respond.  I like that this conversation is helping to get the word out there.  I feel it is my duty to warn people of possible shady doings, rude volunteers and rude supporters.

I appreciate you being a prime example of WHY people should avoid going to Pets and People.

ihateunethical

AUTHOR: Amy Vantuyl - (United States of America)

Hi!  I am currently snuggling the little fur ball I got from Pets & People.  He's my little sugar booger.  I'm kind to every furry friend, but thanks for the suggestion.

You DID make me uncomfortable with your initial posting, I do admit.  However, your reaction (more like over-reaction) didn't change my opinion of P&P; it reminded me of my own immaturities over the years and that is very embarrassing to remember how I have acted out of ego or a sense of entitlement.

It is interesting that you would choose an inappropriate forum for purposes of exposure.  I don't think you're entirely stupid; it would be a wasted effort to point out again that you weren't "ripped off".  Considering there are maybe 3 different people posting on this topic, I'm not sure you're getting the exposure you'd hoped for.  Maybe you can get on Oprah and tell your story of how someone wasn't personable to you.  (I do believe that happened, btw!)

In a prior post you mentioned your family.  If by that, you are telling me you have children, instead of being a role model of entitlement, consider teaching them how to give back to their community.  In the long run, they'll be happier and have better life experiences than you apparently have had.

Encouraging people to lie to get what they want is irresponsible and reprehensible.  You don't come across as someone who wants what's best for the animals...and while, MAYBE, you would've come through, had you gotten one from P&P, think of the disservice you are doing to the animals that will be adopted by people you're encouraging to lie.  You know what happens to these animals and you know why they end up housed in a community of volunteers trying to keep them alive.

So, while you haven't proven your point to me, or to anyone I've shown your posts to, you have won in one regard...I don't have time to be pen pals with a person like you.  There's too many other fun and challenging things to do, such as volunteering.  But, I will give you the last word as I know that would seem important to someone such as yourself.

In the meantime, I'll give you four years to either a) get an education, b) get a broader life experience--I mean, really, was this your first rodeo??? or, c) volunteer at a rescue organization.  Only then will I feel you have a perspective worth reading.

Good luck and I hope you're not invited to any neighborhood barbeques---I might run across you again, reporting that someone didn't give you a hamburger!  And, that they looked at you funny!

Amy

AUTHOR: ihateunethicalcompanies - (USA)

Amy, I used ripoffreport.com because of their Google rankings.  Boohoo.com would not have given the exposure I desired.  I'm glad you had a good experience there, however I did not.   It seems my bad experience makes you feel uncomfortable.   If someone should google and find this report, which is online FOREVER, do you really think that your comments will convince them that Pets and People and their supporters are a good thing?

Your attitude and comments are a reminder of what we ran into at Pets and People.

p.s.  my ego is fine, but I detect that yours is a little hurt.  Oh, and every time you reply, I will reply back, which will only lend more weight to the Google rankings, so go right ahead.  Have a lovely night and be kind to your fluffy friends.

Ignorant SCUMBAGS!

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Unfortunately, this person's account is all to often the same at "humane" societies and "shelters" everywhere.

These places are only concerned with packing in the animals by the dozens just to make profit off them.

Then they staff the places with ignorant teenagers that haven't a clue what kind of scum they're involved with, or brainwash them into taking part and shilling for them.

The best solution is to keep any and all animals as far away as possible from these places.  I personally know people that really rescue and care for animals just so these kinds of places don't get their claws on them.

Remember, If they really cared about the animals, there wouldn't be a fee at all to adopt.

Let alone all the red tape.

RIPOFF STAY AWAY!!!!

Can I file a report on "ihateunethical..."?

AUTHOR: Amy Vantuyl - (United States of America)

Because I feel ripped off just reading their comments--wasted seconds I'll never get back.

I'm still trying to understand how some tool could feel they were "ripped off" by a volunteer-based organization.

"Oh, no! You didn't get the royal treatment? WTH!!! File a report on them!!!"

This isn't the forum for bruised egos--go to boohoo.com for that.

Oh, please

AUTHOR: ihateunethicalcompanies - (USA)

You think I shouldn't share *my* bad experience because your experience was good.  Yep, that's a "real mature" outlook.

As for the volunteers, they don't have the right to treat my or my family crappy just because they are having a bad day.

That's Not What I Experienced...

AUTHOR: Amy Vantuyl - (United States of America)

When you look at the situation, I guess your perspective is going to depend on your maturity level.  YES, the place is filled to capacity with unwanted dogs and cats and YES, perhaps the VOLUNTEERS that are working their asses off don't have the time to coddle every jerk that comes through the door.  They are only there because they love animals and if you think that thankless job is at all easy, then get off your a** and help.  At least they're doing SOMETHING other than b**ch about what others are at least TRYING TO DO.

I drove from Kansas City to get my dog--which, by the way, I wasn't initially approved for--and the place was exactly what I expected.  If you got denied for a pet, for whatever reason, guess what--there's millions of unwanted pets out there--which is why these people DONATE THEIR OWN TIME AND ENERGY to help as many as they can.  I saw elderly volunteers down to children volunteering.

If your angry, go get yourself a pet, have it not work out and then dump it off at Pets and People.  Because I sure as h**l wouldn't expect to find one of these haters volunteering for endless potty breaks, constant clean-up, socialization, constant noise and jerks that have nothing better to do but complain.

Pets and Peoples true nature comes out

AUTHOR: ihateunethicalcompanies - (USA)

The personal attack on the previous commenter is a "Perfect Example" of Pets and People's attitude that I described in my report.

Thank you, Pets and People for proving the truth of my words.

Perfect Example

AUTHOR: Pets & People Humane Society - (United States of America)

Our rescue, Pets & People Humane Society, rescues and "adopts out" over 1300 dogs and cats each year.  We also facilitate the connection of another 200-300 to find their way to breed rescues.
We are a "volunteer based" organization.

Most rescue volunteers love these pets before they have even saved them!  The are overworked, overwhelmed and are trying to save these pets lives, one at a time.  The only thanks they get is the tail wag and purrs of the happy dogs and cats.

To insinuate that we just send our rescued pets to pet food slaughter houses is a Perfect Example of a comment from a  person that has "no clue" about the topic they are commenting on.  A person who is full of hatred and is just sitting at their computer, surfing "slamming" sites,  spouting their opinions because they have nothing better to do.  Why don't you actually get out, and go to a rescue or animal shelter and volunteer for about a hour.  You might change your opinion.

Pets and People are confused

AUTHOR: ihateunethicalcompanies - (USA)

Pets and People must have confused us with another family.  That is NOT what happened.   How would they know WHICH family filed an anonymous report on Ripoffreport.com anyway?  The answer is, they DON'T.

Not true!

AUTHOR: Pets & People Humane Society - (United States of America)

I have been a volunteer with Pets & People for 14 years.  We try very hard to match our pets with the family.  We do have requirements to adopt.  Your existing pets must be spayed/neutered (if over 6 months old) they must be current on vaccinations and heartworm preventative.  They also must be part of the family.  We require that they get to be inside your home when you are home and to sleep in the house at night (not just the garage).

We love to adopt to families with children.  We, of course, want the pet to be very good with the kids so we recommend that the children come to meet the pet and let us see how they interact.

We encourage the families to let the pet play outside when they are gone or at work, as long as the pet is not a fence climber or one that would try to dig out.

The family in this report must have gotten confused.  They first asked about a dog that didn't interact well with children so we told them "no kids" for this one.  Another pet they asked about really wanted to be an only dog thus our repsonse on this pet was "no other pets for this one".  We love to adopt to families with other pets for ours to play with (if the pet they like wants to play with other pets).

Then we found out that one of their dogs lived in a pen in the backyard!  So their report is Not True.

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Unfortunately

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

It seems that these places are not really interested in the adoption side, thats why all the hoops to jump through and the high fees.

They most likely make the real money from the local restaurants, foreigners, and the pet food companies. Look at your next bag of petfood-Meat and Bone Meal?  Wonder where that comes from?