• Report: #862072

• Updated: Sun, September 23, 2012

• Reported By: Luis Blasco — Merion Pennsylvania United States of America
Philadelphia Parking Authority
PO BOX 41818 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States of America

Philadelphia Parking Authority If you want tofrustrate a citazen create The Philadlephia Parking Authority Philadelphia , Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Can't wait 'til it happens to YOU, then!

*Consumer Comment: OP not answering the question

*Consumer Comment: How refreshing it is

*Author of original report: A last word

*Author of original report: You missed the point and became personal

*Consumer Comment: You've just proven

*Consumer Comment: I wasn't aware the PPA had ANY kind of NATIONAL reputation...

*Consumer Comment: Reason for the Parking Authority.

*Author of original report: Over the time limmit

*Author of original report: Overstaying after parking time has expired

*Consumer Comment: I love PPA

*Consumer Comment: My advice is...

*Consumer Comment: another question

*Consumer Comment: The meter was expired

*Consumer Comment: So?

Some one, somewhere should  rebel and fight the methods of this Agency . I assume that the purpose of this agency is to get money from the citazens. It is not to protect or to serve or to facilitate   traffic. Its only purpose is to generate income. The Agency should be reformed and policed  and all citazens should rally around who ever has the fortitude to call on our elected officials to discipline and review this agency. It is as if the city wants to discourage the use of restaurants ,theatres, museums,services  etc .Everybody knows the abuses of this agency .
3/31/12 I parked at 21st  ,the parking allowed time was 3 hours.It was 6:39 pm and the parking sign indicated that you should pay up till 10pm.I paid the maximum of 3 hours and went to the theatre. Returned at  9:47 when the theatre ended. I was ticketed  at 9:45 pm that is 6 minutes after my allowed time and  15 minutes before the 10 pm . It is obvious that the agent waited  eagerly to fine me  even thogh I had paid the maximum time allowed  ,3 hours . No other cars were parked and there was no reason to ticket other than to collect money. Obviously I could not have come back to the parking spot because I was in the theatre and  any reasonable person woudl have assumed that the agent would not have ticketed some one that had paid the maximum and just was a few minutes later and just before the 10 pm fre time .
I can pay and will pay this fine . Strictily speaking I know that the agent could issue the ticket but this is one more example of the lack of common sense utilized by this agency . The end result is to frustrate the citazens of this city .
I would like to participate ,encourage, and pay any entity or group that will fight this 'abuse "of power .

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2012 09:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Philadelphia-Parking-Authority/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19101/Philadelphia-Parking-Authority-If-you-want-tofrustrate-a-citazen-create-The-Philadlephia-862072. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Philadelphia Parking Authority

Can't wait 'til it happens to YOU, then!

AUTHOR: MaxxFordham - (United States of America)

Oh, shut up, robert from Irvine, you dumb jerk! What are you: some kind of idiotic heartless robot? Well then I can't wait until your parking goes over by just ONE minute and they ding *your* butt for it! You'd feel pretty bummed then, wouldn't ya?

Idiot!

OP not answering the question

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Mr Blasco, the crux of your complaint seems to be that the agent should have given you X minutes worth of grace, for either remaining in the spot over the expiration of your meter, and/or for the proximity of the hour when the meter no longer ran.

So, what we would all like to know is exactly how much grace, in terms of minutes, should everyone be given, before YOU would approve tickets being issued? 5 minutes? Well, that wouldn't work in your case. 10 minutes? 11? 15? 20?
At what point would it be okay with you to have a ticket issued and not feel justified bitching about it being a ripoff?
and why is it okay that you were the only one on the whole street that didn't seem to get that you ought not have been there?

How refreshing it is

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

Isn't just great how robert king of Team Rebutt knows it all. So refreshing and very useful info :<~

A last word

AUTHOR: Luis Blasco - (United States of America)

Not use for me to try to make you understand my point.
I never denied that the "horrible fault was commited by me " nor that I will pay the fine  I just pointed out that in my opinion  there is much to be gained by been more welcoming to the  visitors  even when they commit the horrendous crime of overstaying  7 minutes over the time allowed by the purchased ticket.
I see that you do not share my point of view  and do not understand the difference between    "respect for the authority" and   SS implemntation of AUTHORITY . We have seen that .They also were implementating the Law
Tank you for exposing me to other enlighted points of view ! . The Law is the Law sort of thing !
My point was a very differnt one but I do not believe you can understand it ,you rather prefer to accuse me of expecting special treatment . No Sir ! That was a sugestion to be extended to everybody ,including you . Be welcome to this city !
No more of this for me
Goodby Sir

You missed the point and became personal

AUTHOR: Luis Blasco - (United States of America)

Not use for me to try to make you understand my point.
No more of this for me
Goodby Sir

You've just proven

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

How you have the typical "I am special than anyone else and I because of that they should make an exception".

- So where you grew up gives you permission to park where and for how long you want?  Somehow I think people in a true dictatorship have more to worry about than parking at an expired meter.

- You can't even keep your "thin" reasoning the same from one sentence to another.  You were not ticketed 10 minutes before it was set to expire but 15 minutes at 9:45PM.  So by your own words you still should have been ticketed.  So what's the problem..you got what you wanted.

By the way I think you would defiantly have been featured on Parking Wars..too bad they weren't filming that night.  So as suggested keep parking illegally and maybe one day you will get your 15 (or is it 10...:) ) minutes of fame and you can give your case to a national TV audience.

I wasn't aware the PPA had ANY kind of NATIONAL reputation...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Did you just make that up?

"Obviously I could not have come back to the parking spot because I was in the theatre and  any reasonable person woudl have assumed that the agent would not have ticketed some one that had paid the maximum and just was a few minutes later and just before the 10 pm fre time"

Wow, they would have just gone on and not written the ticket if they knew it was YOU parking there and that you had parked at 6:39 and the metering went out of effect at 10:00.  How unthinking and rude of them to do this to YOU...you're someone special and should have  been granted an exception. At only 9:47 the ticketed you. They probably sat in a restaurant with a pair of binoculars and hustled out when the meter expired.

Robert said it best, if YOU are given 11 minutes, the next guy will.......get it yet?

It also doesn't matter about the treatment in the country you come from.

Get over it and move on.

Reason for the Parking Authority.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

You appear to be under the impression that the PPA exists to regulate traffic.   That seems to be the crux of the problem.   They actually exist to generate revenue, with the side benefit that such revenue generation keeps people from parking outside the rules.

While I understand that you are somewhat peeved that you should get a ticket so close to the expiration time, your expectation that the rules should be bent for you seems unrealistic.   Everyone operates under the same rules and all who overstay their welcome at a meter get ticketed.   It's as simple as that.   You were treated no differently than anyone else.

Since you no longer live in a dictatorship, you are free to petition the politicians to change the parking policies to accomodate your theatre going experience.  That's how it works.  Good luck.

BTW -  I couldn't help noticing this in your original post :

"  No other cars were parked and there was no reason to ticket other than to collect money. "

It would seem that your fellow theatre patrons have figured this out.   Perhaps you should find out where everyone else parks to avoid this problem in the future.   That would seem to be the simplest solution, don't you think?

Over the time limmit

AUTHOR: Luis Blasco - (United States of America)

Yes I had placed my ticket in the window and the officer knew very well that I had paid the Maximum ( 3 hours) and that the expitration was 20 minutes before 10pm when the parking  fees stop ( at 10 pm).

'You see I do not dispute the fact that the officer can ticket me but I object to the overall agressive method used by this agency . I ask for Common sens  from the "elected "officers that I assume have in mind the overall progress of the city and that should encourage friendliness and welcoming.

You did not read carefully:

I said :"I can pay and will pay this fine . Strictily speaking I know that the agent could issue the ticket but this is one more example of the lack of common sense utilized by this agency . The end result is to frustrate the citazens of this city ".
I guess I am expecting a little common sense if you want to make our city more appealing and yes I would have appreciated a 10 minutes grace period. I grew up in a country with a Dictatorship  and I am sensitive to authority that thinks that enforcing laws  is better than understanding that the authorite has been invested on them by the subjects and that therefore  the parking power is essentially intended to facilitate and organize traffic  not necessarly to extract more money from the taxpayer . If you need more money TAX ! . Whether you understand or not my frustration  you should recognize that fining someone 10 minutes prior to the time when the  meterd time is to expire ( 10pm ) proves that ONLY  object is to get money and in my opinion is not a good policy .In the long range I believe that this is not a good policy . The PPA is gained its national  reputation. This is only a minor example of their  lack of "common sense"  and overall disregard fro the wellbeing of the city that they are supposed to protect and enhance

Overstaying after parking time has expired

You did not read carefully:

I love PPA

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

Where I live the fines are 3 to 4 times as much and the enforcement checks more often.

Instead of booting and towing you just can't renew: Licence, Licence Plates, or conduct any other registry service for land etc until the fines are paid.

Suck it up and pay the $25 bucks, Cheap for parking in a big city. Last time I got dinged $270 with discount for quick payment.

My advice is...

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Keep parking at meters whose maximum time limits you know you cannot leave the spot by. Sooner or later you might end up featured on the show Parking Wars.

This was your fault and the meter maid, or master, or whatever they call themselves, was justified in ticketing you.

No ripoff.

another question

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Just curious:  would the officer writing the ticket know that you parked at 6:39 and that you were only a few minutes over the 3 hour limit?  If you're feeding coins into a meter I suspect not.  I only say that because in some places you pay and get a ticket to leave in the windshield, so the officer would know how long you had been there.

If you were using a regular meter, how would the office know that you hadn't been there for MORE than the three hour limit?

The meter was expired

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

The meter was expired, what's your problem?

So?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You parked in a 3 Hour parking zone at 6:39 PM, you were ticketed at 9:45 which is MORE than 3 Hours.  Was there a sign that said.."3 Hours..well unless it is really close we won't give you a ticket"?  My guess would be no.

- You know what happens when you "assume" don't you.  You of course could have left the theater..but you CHOOSE to stay instead of going back to your car.  You gambled and lost.

Perhaps to fight this you should fight for a "grace period" where they won't ticket you unless you are parked more than 10 minutes after the allowed time.  Of course that sucks for the person that gets ticketed at 11 minutes.  So why not make it 11 minutes.  Of course the person that gets ticketed at 12 minutes will be bummed..Get the point?