Complaint Review: Philadelphia Water Department

• Updated: Tue, July 09, 2013

• Reported By: Sandra — Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Water Department
1401 JFK Boulevard Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Philadelphia Water Department AKA Philadelphia Revenue Department A Water Department Scam that rips off citizens Philadelphia Pennsylvania

*UPDATE Employee: Please Contact Me

The Water Revenue Bureau's accounting system is defrauding the citizens of Philadelphia.

I make this statement because over the last year I have disputed a $5,000.00 bill and additional penalties from the Water Department. I have never owed this bill at any time. This property is my family's home and has been vacant for over 13 years. In 2000, the home was burglarized and the thief stole all the copper pipes that carried water throughout the house as well as anything else they could salvage. In 2012, I repaired the pipes and obtained a permit to have a new water service installed in the house. Two weeks later we asked to have a new water meter installed too. The meter appeared to be defective because once it was installed; we had no water traveling into the house. I called the WRB to explain the problem and they replaced the device the following day.

The following month, I received my first bill for a mind blowing $4,243.63. I closely examined the bill detail and realized that two meter serial numbers were listed. The first serial number (the defective meter) listed a charge of $4,243.00 for one day of service and the second meter began the next day and charged $40. I called the WRB immediately and they agreed to investigate the problem. After many months and several phone calls to the WRB, I received a letter explaining my dispute was denied and the excessive charge was to stay. I have since requested a hearing to discuss this decision. I am still waiting for a response.

How could I have accumulated such an excessive bill in one day? During the time when the house was vacant, I always paid the storm water bill monthly. I am afraid that regardless of my efforts, my complaint will be denied and I will be responsible for these charges and/or my water services will be terminated.

I am a senior citizen living on a fixed income and can not afford to pay such an exorbitant expense. I am in need of help!  If you can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2013 11:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Philadelphia-Water-Department/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19103/Philadelphia-Water-Department-AKA-Philadelphia-Revenue-Department-A-Water-Department-Scam-1064158. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Philadelphia Water Department

Please Contact Me

AUTHOR: Water Esq. - ()

I'm an attorney with the Water Department and this complaint came up through my Google Notifier. I handle appeals of the type of situation that you mention all the time on behalf of PWD and can help you figure out the appeal process and next steps. If you could please email this address (with the slashes removed) with a number at which I can reach you I will walk you through the procedure sam.robinson@phila.gov Hope to hear from you soon.