Complaint Review: Philips Electronics USA

• Updated: Thu, November 01, 2012

• Reported By: Aleksandr — Wheeling Illinois United States of America
Philips Electronics USA
1251 Avenue Of The Americas Nationwide United States of America

Philips Electronics USA TV caugh in smoke / fire and Philips customer service ignore service! New York, Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: What did you want Philips to do?

I have purchased Philips TV model # 47PFL7403D / 27 about 3 years ago and it was working fine until last week. Suddenly, just out of nowhere while it was on, TV caught in a lot of smoke with irritating odor smell and filled my living room! I had a filling it would be on fire if I dont take immediate action. I quickly plug it out of the socket and called Philips customer support.

First contact was good, and I were promised to receive a call back within 24 hours to take care of this issue, customer service rep acknowledged that it should not have happened. It has been 2 days and nobody called back, so I did call myself and got very unpleasant reply this time. Representative told me that corporate asked them to make me take pictures and send it to them, and nothing else can be be done unless they have these pictures!

How do I suppose to take pictures of tv in smoke? Do you want me to risk my life and house for it? What if it gets on fire?
Who would risk to plug it back in and put their house in risk of fire with elderly people present in it? Are you guys joking?
I asked to send a technician who could do it in safe environment and I was told that no technicians were available for this!

I would love to take all possible actions regarding this matter. BEWARE, if you buy $2000 Philips TV or other consumer product and it will get in smoke or on fire there will be no help to resolve this life threatening issue with company. They dont stand behind their products at all! RIPOFF!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/01/2012 11:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Philips-Electronics-USA/nationwide/Philips-Electronics-USA-TV-caugh-in-smoke-fire-and-Philips-customer-service-ignore-serv-963215. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Philips Electronics USA

What did you want Philips to do?

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

You bought the set 3 years ago, and unless you bought an extended warranty, it was at least 2 years out of warranty.

You were almost certainly not at risk for a fire.  The smell was most likely a fusible component burning out. A not uncommon occurence.

It's a very acrid, unpleasant odor, but is a sign a part failed doing its job.

IF the set had a history of "FIRE" as you so hysterically infer, it would have been recalled long before now.

No, I don't work for them, I don't even particularly like their product...it's very low end and the picture is NOT to my liking.

You life was NOT threatened.  NO Ripoff.