Complaint Review: Pik A Pup

• Updated: Tue, July 09, 2013

• Reported By: SadPuppy — Somewhere Massachusetts
Pik A Pup
599 Concord Street (Route 126) Holliston, Massachusetts USA

Pik A Pup Got puppy w undisclosed failing puppy syndrome, almost died 1st day home, parasites, heart prob. Refunded @ full purch price Holliston Massachusetts

The premise is healthy pups, choice breeders etc., per their website and phone conversation pre-visit.  Place was kind of run down inside, frankly. That aside, our pup was not in good shape after we got it home.  happy puppies do not mean healthy ones. They accepted return of poor pup for full refund of price when followed procedure of vet check within 2 weeks and diagnoses to them within 2 days as stated in their purchase agreement papers. No problem but they insist that all his conditions were normal. Yes, if you are selling an under-healthy dog and are transparent about that BEFORE purchase.

My biggest issue was that their vet signed off on the dog's health at all.  This dog was very sick which was clear when I got it home. ok he threw up in car (after being fed out of site to administer 'precautionary worm meds' - something about that didn't seem right. Anyway,  perhaps nerves but at 9 weeks a pup should eat a few hours after it throws up, or take more than 3-4 licks of water, not enough.  He refused any form of food, wouldn't drink enuf water well into 2nd day home. I was given some Karo syrup from them in case he 'starts to shake'.  No nutritional value, just corn syrup. They prefaced it by saying oh he might not eat for a few days. But he wouldn't drink water either? Nonsense, no healthy dog refuses to drink water for a few days from a little car sickness.

The dog was very friendly, we wee wee pad trained within hours.  But when explained eating/drinking issues to vet when making first appt, they said I had to bring him in right away. He was too pale, needed emergency IV, Rx nutrition gel  and more wet food which we had to syringe into his mouth upon coming home, 4x a day. That is the only food he would take except for a total of 5, that is FIVE pieces of kibble over the 2 days.   This went on 48 hours minimum.

None of this was disclosed upon purchase. Their vet signed off on its health only a few days before. That parasite comes from mother so pup poop was probably not examined before we got him.

Other pups there looked ok, but so did this til we got him examined. Since full refund for purchase was given, can't complain there. They said they 'may' reimburse us for our med expenses because we gave them the parasite med upon return so they can administer. At this point I don't care, I just hope they take better care of him. They said they will re-sell him when meds that we provided are done.

This was a small black and white maltipoo. Very cute, great personality, trainable. He may be ok eventually, but was mislabeled as 'healthy'. He will need heart checks as matures, if he is able to. Frankly, I think he is too frail and should not be sold for the price he was sold at. He should have been donated to someone who expects to spend $500 on meds (expect to spend on normal vaccinations, not included in vet visits here) within the first two months on top of purchase price, or, watch him just fail further and further.  His breeders are from midwest is what I was told (milwaukee) which is not what I expected (thought they were local) but my bad for not asking initially.

If you would like a puppy from this place, and are willing to do all the vet work within required within time requirement per purchase agreement, go ahead. I am sure not every dog there is in as bad shape as this poor guy was. I did not keep him because I do not think he will live and think the store should take care of him until it is known one way or the other if pup will live ok, and if someone willing to buy with known health issues, should get a discount. Or , if he doesn't thrive, as he is not thriving now, he should be humanely put down by the store at their expense.

I did not think to check this webpage before visiting them. They claim to be under 'new management'. Based on what I experienced, they need to do that again.  If I had seen these reports, as recent as April, I would not have gone there to view any pups.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2013 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pik-A-Pup/Holliston-Massachusetts/Pik-A-Pup-Got-puppy-w-undisclosed-failing-puppy-syndrome-almost-died-1st-day-home-paras-1065641. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pik A Pup