Complaint Review: Pimsleur Approach.com

• Submitted: Fri, November 16, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, November 28, 2012

• Reported By: Veronica-Thought Pimsleur was a serious comp — Wake Village, Nash Texas United States of America
Pimsleur Approach.com

Pimsleur Approach.com Stroll I ordered a language course that was $9.99 and now they say I have to make 4 monthly payments of aproximately $64.99, or they will report me to the credit bureua! Internet

*Consumer Comment: Had similar issue

*Consumer Suggestion: Here's what I found on their website...It's just below and to the left of the order blank...

On  August   2012 I ordered Quick and Simple Spanish CDs for $9.95 from the Pimsleur Approach.com. The statement was $9.95. I received the CDs one or two weeks later and the statement was $9.95. One or 2 weeks later, when I was away from home I received another set of CDs. The statement said the charge was 00.00. There were no instructions with respect as how to go about any returns of the CDs, or why I was receiving them.

I searched my email several times, expecting some explanation about them. I only found some advertising about a speed reading course. On the November the 14 2012 I received a letter from Stroll saying that my account status had changed, to call the Stroll company.

I talked to a person on customer service who informed me the course was a trial course for 31 or 21 days and since I had not returned the CDs on time I now owed the company 4 payments of aproximately 64.95 each. I could not return the CDs. I had to pay for them Or, I will be reported to the credit bureau. I explained I had not ordered them. He told me I should have read the small print somewhere on the advertisement page. I remembered there was an option for a monthly issue and having crossed out where i said I did not want it. He said there was no such choice and therefore I had to pay.

I asked him to send me a statement and an address where I could send the payments to, and where he stated that I coud return them or exchange them for another course once I had payed for them in full. I am still waiting for the email. In the meantime I searched for an email from Pimsleur explaining about the procedure in case I did not want the CDs. I never received any or any statement saying I still owed 4 payments.

In the beginning I thought I had overlooked the emails and maybe I should pay for the course. However, when I saw there were no emails explaining about the procedure or the trial period, I realized It was a well thought out scam. What am I supposed todo? I never used any of the CDs. I do not want them. I do not need them either

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/16/2012 08:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pimsleur-Approachcom/internet/Pimsleur-Approachcom-Stroll-I-ordered-a-language-course-that-was-999-and-now-they-say-I-970434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pimsleur Approach.com

Had similar issue

AUTHOR: JJ in NY - (United States of America)

I also purchased the Pimsleur promotional product for $9.95.

I read the entire page before clicking the "order" button. I recall seeing the notice that they would send future shipments, but I do not remember seeing ANYTHING that indicated the cost.

If I had seen the $256 price tag on each package I would have made sure I cancelled right away.

Once the packages started to arrive and the $64 was taken from my account I considered keeping the package as the demo was pretty good and $64 was not that high a price.

But after the second charge of $64 hit my account I went out to their website and was shocked that they were expecting four payments of $64 for each package (or $512 for the two-level course).

I combed through the order confirmation, all of the emails, packing slips, etc, and never once was there any mention of the cost.

I called customer service and was told I could return package 2 as it was still within the trial period, but that payments would continue to be deducted for the first package.

Overall I believe their product is legitimate and works well. I just think that "hiding" the cost of the full course is an "under-handed" way of getting peoples money.

JJ

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Pimsleur Rapid Fluency Purchase Program: One month after you receive your Quick & Simple you'll begin receiving 30 day trial copies of advanced Pimsleur courses in the language you selected. Each course is yours to try for 30 days. You'll receive a new course once every 60 days. For each course you keep we'll bill you in four monthly payments of $64. Remember, there's never an immediate obligation to buy any course because of the 30-day trial period provided with each shipment. And you may cancel future shipments at any time by calling 1-877-802-5283. See Key Details

Guess you somehow missed this part. No Ripoff here.

That must be some fantastic language course at that price.

" In the beginning I thought I had overlooked the emails and maybe I should pay for the course. However, when I saw there were no emails explaining about the procedure or the trial period, I realized It was a well thought out scam. What am I supposed todo? I never used any of the CDs"

You WERE notified with the above note on their site, what's not to understand? NO I DON'T  work for them and had never even heard of them before.