Complaint Review: Pinyan Labs

• Updated: Tue, April 22, 2014

• Reported By: rattlertx17 — Nashville Tennessee United States of America
Pinyan Labs
501 NW Scott St. Ankeny, Iowa United States of America

Pinyan Labs Ron Pinyan Labrador lab breeder puppy farm fail Ron Pinyan Ugly Ankeny, Iowa

*Consumer Comment: Lab Purchased also needing advice

Ron Pinyan is a terrible breeder and a swindler.   He swore to me I was going to receive the pick of females in a particular litter that started out with 3, and somehow ended up being 2(I am guessing one died).  I was sent pictures of the puppies to make my pick and discovered he had sent pictures of the same puppy, I am guessing because another one died.

When I called him out on it, he apologized and said his son had taken the pictures and "sent the wrong ones".  Seems pretty deliberate to send 2 separate pictures of the same dog with it wearing different color collars.  The puppy had a pretty bad scratch on its nose so I told him I wanted the puppy without the gigantic scar on its face.

The puppy was suppose to arrive one day, and didnt until 3 weeks later. When he said he had taken the dog to the vet to get its final weight and shots to be shipped, he told me it weighed in at 11 pounds.  When it arrived it somehow had lost 5 pounds(weighing 6 pounds).

I know this because it immediately had to go to the vet for being dehydrated and having parasites in its stomach.  The vets also laughed at me when I showed them the "proof of vaccinations" that Ron had sent with the dog as basically a handwritten note that he was vaccinating these dogs himself.

My assumption is that the other 2 females in the litter died and the only one left had the scar on its nose.  So, when I told him I didnt want the one with the scar, he sent me a puppy from the younger litter.

When she arrived she had major digestive problems that took months to rectify with special(aka expensive) medicinal food that she had to eat with pills every day.  Possibly why she weighed half what she was supposed to at 8 weeks old.

Ron guaranteed my puppy's parents were both 85 pounds and larger.  My dog is now full grown at 41 pounds, half the size promised.  She has an odd gait which the vet is confident will lead to hip dysplasia before she is 3 years old.

Ron's price for a puppy was $1500 when we purchased our dog and is now $1000.  I am certain this is because word is getting out he is harming these animals and selling people sub-par dogs.  This is either because he is incompetent at his job or is bordering on the criminal for intentionally harming his females and their litters by over breeding.

It was relatively easy for me to find many others with similar or worse stories.  I urge you to read them, then find a reputable breeder.  This was a life lesson I wish my wife and I didnt have to learn by watching a dog grow up in pain.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2012 05:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pinyan-Labs/Ankeny-Iowa-/Pinyan-Labs-Ron-Pinyan-Labrador-lab-breeder-puppy-farm-fail-Ron-Pinyan-Ugly-Ankeny-Iowa-835562. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pinyan Labs

Lab Purchased also needing advice

AUTHOR: Charlie - ()

I am not sure if this is the place to post this or not but we purchased a silver lab puppy from Pinyan Labs in October. When we went to look at him he was the only one left of the liter and he was 11 weeks old very timid but I thought maybe that was because he was by himself. We brought him home and he was scared to death of my husband and when you went to pet him he laid down like he had been beat. I contacted Ron and got the song and dance he is trying to just adjust to his new home.  He than started with the horrible diarrhea we changed his food we consulted with a vet many times so far and we can't get anything to work. I am looking for any advice I can get from people who have purchased from him and what needs to be done.  My vet today said to me is he a full bred lab because he doesn't look like it.  Now I am really concerned. I will say he is a great dog and he is very smart.  We just need to get his stomach issues resolved.

Lisa