Complaint Review: Plain Financial Inc, Fidelity International, Sheila Harris, Samantha Louis

• Submitted: Thu, September 24, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, September 25, 2009

• Reported By: Roy — Boise Idaho USA
Plain Financial Inc, Fidelity International, Sheila Harris, Samantha Louis
207 Yonge St Burlington, Ontario United States of America

Plain Financial Inc, Fidelity International, Sheila Harris, Samantha Louis Allianz Mutual Letter received from Sheila Harris, "promotions director" for Allianz Mutual, that I had won $250,000. Letter included a check for $4964, and requested I send $2975 to cover taxes for the winnings. Burlington, Ontario

*Consumer Comment: well

I recieved a letter, in a plain white envelope with no return address, from Allianz Mutual, in Burlington, ON (with an invalid zip code number),  along with a very official looking check drawn aganist Citibank for $4964.55.     The letter, from Sheila Harris (promotions director), spelled with no caps, informed me I was the winner of $250,000 in a UK sweepstakes sponsored by Intel, Microsoft, Wall-Mart, Sears, Home Depot and others.

The letter included instructions to forward $2975 via Western Union to cover the taxes for the winnings, and then, after sending the money, I could cash the check for $4964.   And then, magically, I would recieve the winnings.  Gee, $2975 is a very tiny percentage to cover taxes for $250,000 in winnings.

Amazingly, the letter inlcuded a phone number for Selyne Fitzgerald LL.B (claim agent) with directions to call for further instructions.

I looked up Allianz Mutual, but no matches to the address on the letter.   I searched by the phone number, and learned it is a cell phone number in Toronto, not Burlington, ON.  And it is a personal phone number and not a business phone.

This report is almost identical to others I've read on this site, with the variation of using other real company names with invalid addresses, such as Fidelity.  But Sheila Harris (promotions director) seems to be consistent from one scam letter to the next.

Fortunately, by searching on Sheila Harris, I found this site.  Thanks.

I was tempted to call the number, but decided there no need to also provide my phone number to this scammer.

I will be forwarding this letter down to our FTC office.  I'm sure I'm just one of many who has received a letter like this.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2009 07:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Plain-Financial-Inc-Fidelity-International-Sheila-Harris-Samantha-Louis/Burlington-Ontario-A3H747-cA/Plain-Financial-Inc-Fidelity-International-Sheila-Harris-Samantha-Louis-Allianz-Mutual-500102. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Plain Financial Inc, Fidelity International, Sheila Harris, Samantha Louis

well

AUTHOR: Jocko - (U.S.A.)

At least you was smart enough not to do this, good for you. I got a few of those letters here in the states and the FBI took them from me.