Complaint Review: Planet Toyota Illionois

• Submitted: Sun, July 13, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, August 27, 2010

• Reported By:Fillmore Indiana
Planet Toyota Illionois
5540 Auto Court Matteson, Illinois U.S.A.

Planet Toyota Illionois Re:Don Race "Internet SCAM..False information...Bait & Lure..." Planet Toyota gives special treatment to their dealers families after promising a client the vehicle first!! Matteson Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Ken Broholm, Do you inform potential customers to 'Google' this- ENGINE SLUDGE, and go to the consumeraffairs website about 'Toyota Engine Problems' and read all of the complaints....

*UPDATE Employee: I am Don's Manager at the time

*Consumer Comment: Not the first time a salesman said what he thought you wanted to hear to get you in the door.

My husband and I traveled to my parents residence in Indiana to look at a vehicle that didn't work out and wound up looking on-line for a vehicle to drive home. Saturday, July 12th, 2008 we found the truck we wanted, price, looks and details in all. The only catch was that we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to purchase the vehicle.

At 2pm that afternoon, we contacted Planet Toyota in Matteson IL and spoke with Don Race head of the Internet sales. He asked for the stock# that we found with the vehicle we wanted, and he told us that it was still on the lot, and told us that it was a trade-in and that it was a great vehicle. We asked how late they were open and he advised 6pm is when they closed. My husband and I told Don Race that we were going to come to the dealership and drive home a vehicle. Don told us to call him as soon as we were ready to leave so he knew when to expect us there and that he would take the truck off the lot for us to look at when we got there.

At 2:45pm My husband and I called Don Race back, and spoke directly to him and asked him if we pay out of state sales tax when purchasing out of state. He told me that we would do that at time of registration at the Indiana tax level. We told Don Race that we wanted that truck and that we had cash in hand to drive a truck home that night and that it was going to take us 2 1/2 hours to get to the dealership from where my parents reside. Don said that he would be waiting our arrival and have the truck ready for us to look at.

At 5:10pm that evening we arrived at Planet Toyota and spoke to a manager asking for Don Race. He went to get him and the same manager came out and advised us that Don had just called my parents house 10 minutes prior to us getting there and advised us that the truck had just SOLD! The manager that we were speaking to had said that it was sold to one of the dealers family members! Now...whats wrong with this picture??

We found this dealer online, wanted that particular truck, called the Planet Toyota dealership spoke to "Don Race", truck was still there on the lot, NOT sold, got directions to the dealership, told Don that we were comming 2 1/2 hours to get the truck with cash, he told us to call him back when we were leaving, we did, got there, told us that it was sold, Don Race never showed his face to us, we asked why we were promised a vehicle when we arrived then given to a dealers family member before we got there, the only thing they said they could give us is a "sincere appology", and offered us a dodge dekota or a tacoma instead!!!!! But not at the price and conditions of the truck that we wanted!!

After getting nowhere with the flippen company..we had to travel 4 hours back home to the south west side of Indiana with-out a truck that we were promised that would be there when we arrived! We could see if we didn't call and say that we weren't comming till another day but, we DID call since we were traveling long distance with cash in hand to drive a new truck home that night! We wasted our TIME, GAS, and Toll Money!! Not to mention the stress that the situation put on us! We are VERY disappointed with this company and with Don Race lying to us, and selling the truck from under us. "TALK ABOUT BUISNESS ETHIC". This company and dealer are frauds!

The travelors
Fillmore, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2008 02:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Planet-Toyota-Illionois/Matteson-Illinois-60443/Planet-Toyota-Illionois-ReDon-Race-Internet-SCAMFalse-informationBait-Lure-P-350760. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Planet Toyota Illionois

before they buy a new or used Toyota?

Do you inform potential customers to 'Google' this- TOYOTA TWITTER SLUDGE, so they can go to that site to read what others are saying about Toyota, and read all of the articles and watch all of the videos that are available at that site?

Please let all of us know, okay?

I am Don's Manager at the time

AUTHOR: Ken Broholm - (United States of America)

I was Don's manager at the time and he got a cell phone number from you so you could be contacted if anything happened to the vehicle that you were coming to inspect.

The vehicle sold before you got here and Don called you once and an hour later I called you myself....no answer, but I left a message that the vehicle was sold. Then a couple hours later you showed up and said we never called you ???

It is not our policy or has it ever been to lie to customers over the phone. We have been doing business in the area here for nearly fourty years....if we practiced the tactics that you accuse us of using we would not be in business any longer.

I am sorry for any inconvenience you have experience, but we have a firm policy that we do not take deposits on used cars over the phone. We operate on a first come first serve basis because we believe that is the only way to be fair to all customers.

AUTHOR: Friendly Help - (U.S.A.)

After all, if you never walk in their door, they can't sell you anthing, can they?

An old technique in auto sales was the "naildown", a vehicle that was such a wonderful deal that people with any interest at all could not pass it up. But for one reason or another that vehicle could not be bought. But another, "almost as good a deal", was available. Some people use the artless term "bait & switch".

Used vehicles that are truely a bargain as real low-milage creampuffs will almost NEVER be available to an 'outside buyer' because a family member or relative will come first. And many dealers 'owe' well-connected people favors (use your imagination) and so vehicles that are truely a bargain will be used to pay off a favor.

Your mistake was gambling your time and effort based on a telephone conversation with a stranger.