Susan

• Updated: Sun, January 13, 2013

• Reported By: Kevin — Colorado Springs Colorado United States of America
Polaris Industires
2100 Hwy 55 Medina, Colorado United States of America

Polaris Industires High CDI Ignition module failures (defective) on Sportsman 500 ATVs Medina, Colorado

*General Comment: Could be a rip off

*Consumer Comment: IF the warranty was anywnere near 9 years, you might have had a chance...but...

I am writing this letter to express my sincere concern over a recent issue I have had with my 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 VIN 4XACH59A43A739182 with a manufacture date of 9/21/2002.  The ATV currently has 2694 miles and 305 hours on it.  Approximately 8 months ago my Electronic Module quit working and after testing with the local Polaris dealership, it was determined the Ducati CDI module had indeed failed.  Upon further investigation with Polaris service techs, as well as multiple forum websites on the Internet, there are repeated reports of an extremely high failure rate of the Ducati CDI modules installed in the early production run of the 2003 Sportsman 600 (quotes listed below).  This is further reinforced by the CDI redesign and redeployment of a different manufacturer later in the 2003 year model.

Additionally, the factory replacement for the Ducati CDI module is an" updated Ignition Module," further contributing to the evidence that Polaris deployed a defective CDI module on the model of Sportsman 600 I currently own, and replaced the factory part with a more reliable part.

I contacted Polaris Customer Service 888 704 5290 on 17 October, 2012 and spoke with Loddy and described my dilemma, expressing my concern over the defective part, and asking if there was some kind of recall on this item.  She checked my VIN number, and stated there was no recall, and that I would have to foot the full $524 bill for a replacement updgraded Ignition Module.  I expressed my concern that I proudly own 2 Polaris Sportsman, and as a Search and Rescue Team Member, many of our team members have purchased Polaris ATVs based on my recommendation, to which she said there was nothing she could do to help, that the local dealership would have to submit a request for help.

The service manager at Vickery Motorsports contacted Polaris on my behalf and opened case C-2541817-B4R7X4 requesting coverage of this defective part.  Polaris immediately came back and said they would not do anything to help.

I understand the age of my ATV is a factor, but considering the high failure rate, the "updated ignition module," and the huge price difference between a replacement CDI and the "updated" model, I am asking Polaris for consideration in the form of a substantial price discount to help me in replacing this defective part.  I am sure the consideration and actions of Polaris in helping me get my ATV back up and running will be reflected in all of the people I meet in my outdoor activities including military, Search and Rescue, and my guide service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2012 04:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Polaris-Industires/Medina-Colorado-55340/Polaris-Industires-High-CDI-Ignition-module-failures-defective-on-Sportsman-500-ATVs-Me-979616. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Polaris Industires

#1 General Comment

Could be a rip off

AUTHOR: Rob - (Canada)

I think if you consider the fact that many of the parts in question died much sooner then 9 years and that they quit selling the original part, only offering the upgade. Yopu might consider it a rip off. Appears the stator is killing the CDI so one must purchase a kit with the stator the CDI and a flywheel which I understand involves 4 hours labour to install. In Canada you would be looking at around $1200 or more to have this faulty part replaced. We had a vehicle that we bought used it was 12 years old or more and we got a recall notice to have a bad part replaced. Toyota offers voluntary recalls on defective parts that wear out out break prematurely.  This Atv only has 300 hours on it 2900 miles in 9 years! Thats just over 33 hours per year or 322 miles a year. Do you think it was used too much and the parts is past it's life expectancy?

I would hope not I have read of Polaris ATV with less then 200 hours and the same problem. If the part was good why would they still not offer it for sale instead of recommend the upgrade kit. If this was a car you bought even with 10 times the miles on it I think you may wonder about the quality of the part if it seemed all the people with this vehicle had the same defect.

The right thing to do would be to offer some assistance and have a happy customer that will likely buy another of your product in the future rather then thinking of how they had a problem and where left to deal with it on their own with no support from the manufacturer, if word got out thata  manufacturer did something to help their customers and and another more less said "too bad so sad" .... Well I know what my next purchase would be.
In my mind they know they have a defective part out there and chooseing no to help out spells a "rip off"

IF the warranty was anywnere near 9 years, you might have had a chance...but...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

it's a little unreasonable to expect them to fix it free after that long of a time.

Often mfr's will help out if the product is a "little" out of warranty.

Most mfr's also have disclaimers that products may be updated at any time without incurring an obligation to update previous units.

Even good parts (units) do deteriorate over time.

I honestly can't see a Ripoff here...sorry.