• Report: #419828

• Submitted: Tue, February 03, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, October 26, 2009

• Reported By:Virginia Beach Virginia
Polaroid, Walmart
4400 Baker Road Minnetonka, Minnesota U.S.A.

Polaroid, Walmart Polaroid is not honoring their customer's warranties Minnetonka Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: I HAVE ONE

*UPDATE Employee: Why is this Walmart's Fault

Me and my roommate bought a 42" LCD Full HD TV of the brand Polaroid from Walmart on black friday of 2007. We had trouble with the TV within three months of the purchase and it got repaired three times. The TV ended up with a worse picture quality than it originally came with, but at least there was a picture there, which was not the case before the three repairs. I didn't feel like arguing anymore so I let the problem with the picture be.

Right before black friday of 2008 a different problem emerged with the TV; our remote stopped working. It turned out it wasn't the remote itself that was the problem, but the remote reciever on the TV, so I called Polaroid again and explained my problem. I was promised that I would get a new TV sent to me within two weeks if I sent my broken TV to the Polaroid repair center.

I had to pay for the box to ship the TV in myself (it was 22 dollars...), but I was ok with that since I was supposed to get a new TV when they had gotten my broken TV.

Two weeks pass, no TV, no phone call. I call the support again and is told that they don't have any TVs to send to me, but instead they will issue me a refund for the full amount I paid. They continue on to tell me that I will get the refund within two weeks. Two weeks and two days pass, I get no refund. I call them up again and was told that because Polaroid is in chapter 11, all their refunds has been pushed back to late January (this was early January).

At this point I'm furious, I call the corporate office, they tell me the same thing, my roommate calls the corporate office, they won't return his phone calls, so he calls again, still no return call, I call again, no return call, and finally my roommate calls once more and catches someone as she is about to call out (usually you get an answering machine when calling the corporate), and she's accusing us of harassing her...

The last call I made to Polaroid was in late January (the phone number to the corporate office is no longer in use, so we're getting transferred to the regular costumer service department), and they can't say for sure when our check is going to come, but they tell me it's within 15 days... They have continually lied to us and refuses to honor our warranty. We have also been in contact with Walmart where we bought the TV (they are still selling their TVs) and they were really helpful at first, but since our first conversation they have yet to return a single phone call to us, and they have not done anything concrete to help us. A lot of talk and no action.

May I say that I'm a college student and this TV was 800 dollars, cheap for the type of TV I got at the time, but a lot of money for me none the less. Polaroid has had our TV for two months now, we have seen nothing from them so far.

We are definitely not the only ones that has this problem, click yourself to this site and see how big of a scam this company is: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/polaroid_tv.html

Walmart is still selling TVs of this brand:

Hampus
Virginia Beach, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2009 05:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Polaroid-Walmart/Minnetonka-Minnesota-55343-8684/Polaroid-Walmart-Polaroid-is-not-honoring-their-customers-warranties-Minnetonka-Minnesot-419828. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Polaroid, Walmart

I HAVE ONE

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

I bought a 32" Polaroid flat screen 3 years ago and it's still perfect. My only complaint is that it should be digital as well but then they have to rip you somehow! And yes, Polaroid do make tvs! I fell in love with it. The picture was the best out of all. Sometimes they are just defective. Just never buy the combo units! Those will give you woes! I also make sure I buy extended warranties. Home Depot honors theirs as does Lowes. My riding mower has had over $800 worth of work and the warranty cost me $99....the repairs...nothing.

Oh and BTW....NEVER buy air conditioners at Walmart.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (U.S.A.)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but, the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Not surprising to hear they are in chapter 11. They made good cameras back in the day but televisions?

Why is this Walmart's Fault

AUTHOR: Irishman78 - (Canada)

First thing. I work in Canada. So I didn't even know Polaroid makes TVs.

Anywho, Walmart owns the Stock of any item as soon as it comes into the store. Therefore, the fact Polaroid in bankrupt doesn't mean WM should stop selling them.

Second, did you get the extended warranty? Once you passed 30 days Walmart didn't have to help you at all. Yes, to me it sounds like something for certain is cooked with your TV, however Polaroid should've dealt with it.

They aren't calling you because they have no money left. Walmart isn't calling you because they don't have an answer for you either. They are trying to get an answer out of Polaroid for your, but if they are ignored too, then nothing can be solved. Maybe if you still have the receipt then the WM can work something out with you, but again they don't have to.

You got shafted by a crappy TV and Polaroid sucks for not helping you out and now being Chapter 11. But I don't see Walmart's fault in this.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC