Complaint Review: Polaroid

• Submitted: Tue, December 30, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, January 07, 2009

• Reported By:Clemson South Carolina
Polaroid
4400 Baker Road Minnetonka, Minnesota U.S.A.

Polaroid 19" LCD TV dies one month after warranty expires. Minnetonka Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: Another Expert

*Consumer Suggestion: Should have bought the extended warranty!

*Consumer Comment: Polaroid TV's are junk!!

*Consumer Comment: Not quite getting it...

*Consumer Comment: Not quite getting it...

We are reporting the early death of our 19" Polaroid LCD TV which we purchased from Circuit City in November of 2007. The poor set was only one month past its one year warranty. Did the ears of Polaroid and Circuit City executives turn red because they sensed a lot of four letter words flying their way? Oh dear!!!

Shortly after the initial shock of the death, I politely and patiently called the phone number on the service paper that came with the deceased LCD set. After being on hold so long that I was able to play several games of "Snood", a nice woman in Florida came on the line. She listened to my story and directed me to California where I was put on hold again.

After earning 300,000 points playing "Bookworm" a man came on the line. He hung up on me when I asked for his name! So at this point I know that I have a dead TV and Polaroid has some employees whose manners have also died!

After taking a bathroom break, I called again. Of course, I was put on hold again! This time, I played "Bejeweled" and racked up half a million points, another man in California came on. He said he had taken a report about the previous hang up, listened to the story of my TV's death, and then he directed me to be put on hold again. A quarter of a million points later on "Bejeweled" a woman came on the line. Again I explained the death of my TV. She said we could send them $140 and the TV and they would take a look at it. How sweet!!??

Both here and at other sites, I've been reading about other consumers having similar problems to mine. For me there no mystery as to why both Polaroid and Circuit City are in bankruptcy. I also know that even if they come out of it, pigs will have wings when we buy anything from them again. They have squandered my good will as I have squandered my money with them.

anonymous
Clemson, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2008 08:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Polaroid/Minnetonka-Minnesota-55343-8684/Polaroid-19-LCD-TV-dies-one-month-after-warranty-expires-Minnetonka-Minnesota-406491. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Polaroid

Another Expert

AUTHOR: Dennis - (U.S.A.)

In response to" Inspector" lol post
Could'nt help reading this post and then the REBUTTAL....

I guess you are an expert on LCD TELEVISIONS POLAROID LCD's to be exact????

If you would indulge me for a minute while I give you a few lessons........

I feel I have the expertise to reply to these "moronic rebuttals" that I come across because I have "earned it" by having the same expierences as the complaintants writing on this board

With that being said, you really believe if this lady and the 100's of others who have paid good money for a product that is DEFECTIVE had a "surge protector" (which Im sure 99% did) there would be no one complaining about POLAROID???

Or if they made sure they "vacuumed" the dust off the set everyday they would not be having this problem?

Your post amazes me,I guess you figured it's a woman complaining and she won't reply to your "rebuttal"
Let me close by letting you know the POLAROID TELEVISIONS ARE DEFECTIVE

POLAROID knows it and has ignored the complaints and have buried there heads in BANKRUPTCY

Dennis

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Should have bought the extended warranty!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Nowadays, these tv's are designed to live a very short life span being 3-5000 hours.

The days of the 20+ year old Zenith are long gone. If you get 3 years out of one of these new lcd or plasma sets you are doing good.

With that said, ALWAYS buy the extended warranty on any electronics item you cannot afford to replace. That is not optional anymore.

Why did you not buy the extended warranty????

If you would have had it, you would have got that set fixed or replaced and would be watching it right now!

The good news is, WalMart has those right now in a better brand for about $200.

You can get a 32 inch LCD right now for $368.
Get the warranty.

Polaroid TV's are junk!!

AUTHOR: Inspector - (U.S.A.)

Blah blah blah.....the op is correct in complaining, it's junk. The companies that sell this crap should be out of buisness. You should not need all this protection to keep your TV alive unless its junk. I was repairing televisions back when they ran on vacuum tubes.

If the electronics is so sensitive that it cannot handle a few surges and temperature variations well... it has no buisness being on the market or in peoples homes. Pretty soon you will need a clean room to operate your TV in.

It's JUNK, why not admit it and quit feeding people excuses.

Not quite getting it...

AUTHOR: Ceadda - (U.S.A.)

Circuit city doesn't manufacture televisions. So why your set failure would have anything to do with their business is beyond me. They sell it. Not make it. Get a clue.

For that matter, neither does Polaroid. They buy the sets from a company that will slap a logo on it for them and give them a bit of the profit. This is a common way of companies that are in failing markets to free up some cash.

For a third point. The tech support numbers on the sheets of paper that come with tv are just for some general tech support warehouse in India somewhere. They also have nothing to do with Polaroid except a sheet to tell them what to ask when you say what company.

And lastly, before you complain about anything else, I really want to know the one thing I always ask when people complain about a broken TV at my job.

You of course had this lcd tv hooked up to a surge protector. And I do not mean the 5$ special at the local walmart I mean the $80-150 power filtering brownout protection with insurance and all he other surge and brownout features. This includes the cable line running through it, the dvd player and whatever else is hooked to it. And, secondly, you paid attention to the vents on the tv and are sure the room was within the moisture and temperature limits of the set.

90% of the tv's that i see where people are whining they failed and its the manufactures fault come back to us a month later from the manufacturer saying things like "Power Surge, Brownout damage, moisture damage, heat failure." and none of that has anything to do with the way it was made.

Not quite getting it...

AUTHOR: Ceadda - (U.S.A.)