Complaint Review: Polaroid

• Submitted: Fri, April 20, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, April 21, 2007

• Reported By:South Lyon Michigan
Polaroid
1265 Main Street Waltham, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Polaroid selling fire hazard LCD TVs ripoff Waltham Massachusetts

*Author of original report: UPDATE

*Consumer Comment: In your title

*Consumer Comment: YOU better reread

*Author of original report: update

*Consumer Comment: I was just wondering....

*Consumer Comment: Generalization

Hi All,

I'm setting this morning feeling SO ripped off! My husband and I bought the Polaroid LCD FLM3232B TV on 5/9/06 and it stopped playing on 3/24/07. I called Polaroid right away and was instructed to change the fuse in the back of the TV, next to the power outlet. I did and the TV blewup. Sparks were flying everywhere. I called them back and they sent a local repair shop out to pick up the TV on 3/27/07. We haven't seen the TV since.

I did report this to the CPSC because I felt the TV to be a fire hazard. Even if this TV is repaired and returned, we feel we can never trusted it again. We are trying to get the word out to everyone looking for a new TV to steer clear from this one, and to save them the nightmare. The CPSC is interested in seeing this TV if we ever get it back, but I'm not hopeful anything can be done.

We might as well took our $900 and played the lottery. the chance of getting any money back is better. If you do a internet search on this matter you will find that Polaroid is selling defected LCD TVS and they know it.

Marsha
South Lyon, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2007 06:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Polaroid/Waltham-Massachusetts-02451/Polaroid-selling-fire-hazard-LCD-TVs-ripoff-Waltham-Massachusetts-244924. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Polaroid

UPDATE

AUTHOR: Marsha - (U.S.A.)

This is my last post..because Your are a smuck that can't read. You must work for Polaroid.

In your title

AUTHOR: Shawangunk - (U.S.A.)

Where did you make your flamboyant generalization? You might want to look at your title, which I will copy and paste here for your convenience: "Polaroid selling fire hazard LCD TVs"

Using the plural form of TV (i.e., TVs) suggests that MULTIPLE Polaroid TVs are "fire hazards" which of course is not true. Did you buy only one TV? Or more than one? And they ALL caught on fire?

When you are going to make a complaint, use language that validates the facts, rather than obscuring them and taking away all credibility.

And learn how to change a fuse correctly, which involves first UNPLUGGING the unit. The only fire hazard I see here is your own personal negligence.

YOU better reread

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

"I'm confused. where did I say "ALL" Polaroid TVs are fire hazards? You better reread my post."

It's in your title.

update

AUTHOR: Marsha - (U.S.A.)

I'm confused. where did I say "ALL" Polaroid TVs are fire hazards? You better reread my post. I did include the model# we purchased. If you were able to see the way this TV was designed, you could understand why this model of Polaroid TV should be recalled. Don't bother to look at the owners manual because the TV they show in it..is not the TV we received. As for researching a TV before buying. YES. we are kicking ourselves about this one. Our old TV quit and this was an impulse buy. I was going on the Polaroid name. but now I know that was sold along time ago. I also know now that Polaroid is in chapter11.

As for unplugging the TV before installing the fuse. Ive been a tropical fish breeder for years. I work with and around a lot of water and electicity. I know to unplug a TV before working with it.

I was just wondering....

AUTHOR: Gabriel - (U.S.A.)

Did you happen to unplug your tv before you changed your fuse? If not, then even if there was a warranty, chances are it is not covering cases of customer negligence. There would be no way for the tv to blow up while changing the fuse if there is no power, unless you did not unplug it, thus supplying the power for the sparks to fly everywhere.

Generalization

AUTHOR: Shawangunk - (U.S.A.)

How can you make such a flamboyant generalization by suggesting that ALL Polaroid TVs are "fire hazards" when in reality only YOUR Polaroid TV was a fire hazard?

Just because you had a problem with one piece of merchandise does NOT make this a widespread problem frequently encountered by this manufacturer.

Doing a brief internet search, there is NO evidence that Polaroid TVs are "fire hazards" -- the only comments about Polaroid TVs are that they are junk and frequently break after just a few months. Surely you already know this as you wouldn't have spent $900 on something without first doing a little research, right?