Complaint Review: Popcorn.net

• Updated: Mon, November 13, 2006

• Reported By:camp lejeune North Carolina
Popcorn.net
members.popcorn.net/members/?section=home Internet U.S.A.

Popcorn.net Website is threatening to ruin my credit if I don't pay for their software, with constant reminders that freeze up my computer Internet

*Consumer Comment: Too cool

*Consumer Suggestion: Karen, both the WA AG and State of CA are not done with them yet

*Consumer Suggestion: POPCORN TOTALLY IN BUSINESS

*Consumer Comment: I saw it!

*Consumer Comment: Hey Lorraine! I think "Legal" knows better than to reply here again

*Consumer Suggestion: MovieLand, MoviePass, MuviPaz and now Popcorn.net

*Consumer Suggestion: This sounds exactly like a scammer we ran off a while back here on ROR

*Consumer Comment: Go to your S-2

*Consumer Suggestion: Steve, this is MovieLand renamed .. our buddy Legal is back in business!

*Consumer Suggestion: Looks like you need a good spyware program

My firewall was down for updates and I left my computer for a little bit, when I came back I had popcorn.net pop-up screen asking me how I wanted to pay for their software. I didn't request their services and when I went to their website to follow their customer service help page on how to remove the software because I never installed it, the page reads verbatim:

"Failure to satisfy your payment obligation may result in an escalation of collection proceedings that could have an adverse effect on your credit status" I don't like my credit being threatened and the intrusive software on my computer that is locking it up at random times is incredibly annoying.

Thanks for whatever help you can be to stop these scam.

Anthony
camp lejeune, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/26/2006 02:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Popcornnet/internet/Popcornnet-Website-is-threatening-to-ruin-my-credit-if-I-dont-pay-for-their-software-wi-217830. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Popcorn.net

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

Great to hear that Steve. You do such great research work! You ever do make it out here to Phoenix and we do coffee, plan on getting your brains picked for a couple hours. :)

I'm looking forward to what you've found on these guys after watching them leave so many victims in their wake as they went from MovieLand to MoviePass to MuviPaz and now PopCorn.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Karen, both the WA AG and State of CA are not done with them yet

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

There is even a RICO case being considered. I have done further investigation on this, and there is much more to the story.

It IS an ONGOING case.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

POPCORN TOTALLY IN BUSINESS

AUTHOR: Karen - (U.S.A.)

Sorry to rain on your parade, Lorraine and Steve, but it looks like Legal and his friends are totally up and running. I visited the FTC's webstie and it turns out that the FTC lost their request for a Temporary Restraining Order.

Looks like we'll all be dealing with these complaints for a long time.

I saw it!

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

I did see that rebuttal you did Steve. I responded to it and a couple other reports that evening, but I was having some connection probs and not all of them went up. Think the cable company got it fixed now, so hopefully I won't have that happen again.

Think all I said was 'great find' or something to that extent and I hope this will finally shut these jokers down for good. Am seeing another bad company going up a lot in here recently and it's starting to 'call to me'. Hehe, if you want to join in, get my email from ED and I'll tell you where I'm at in my info search on them. We can take it from there and get them like we did the MovieLand/popcorn.net gang. :)

Hey Lorraine! I think "Legal" knows better than to reply here again

Lorraine,

Did you se the other links I posted in the other threads? The WA AG filed a complaint against this whole outfit, and the FTC sued everyone involved. The case is ongoing, and there is an injunction against the entire operation right now that they are violating!

#9 Consumer Suggestion

MovieLand, MoviePass, MuviPaz and now Popcorn.net

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

Hey Steve, I see they are back in biz. *sigh* I did some searching and found a website that is offering a program that will remove the popcorn.net code from computers. It's much more involved than MovieLand was to remove manually, so I was happy to see someone made an .exe file to help people.

That URL is where the download is offered. There is some information there on the connection of MovieLand and popcorn.net.

Ya think our old buddy Legal will drop in and say hi to us? LOL.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

This sounds exactly like a scammer we ran off a while back here on ROR

Anthony,

This sounds exactly like an outfit calling themselves "movieland" and a few other names. We have not heard from them for a few months now so I suppose they closed down that scam and maybe opened this one. TRIUMPHANT VIDEOS is the registrant, as was movieland/moviepass.

The MO you described is the same.

Go to Start>Control panel>Add/Remove Programs and click the box to show updates. Look in that list for any suspicious looking programs.

A GOOD spyware/adware removal software is highly suggested. Update it every day.

Also print any information you can and file a complaint with the FBI. They have a unit that specializes in this type of thing.

I did a search on who owns popcorn.net, and my suspicions were correct! This was some of the same contact info used by movieland, moviepass, etc.
Registrant:

Contact, Domain registrar@popcorn.net

Record last updated 09-05-2006 10:14:37 AM
Record expires on 09-11-2008
Record created on 09-12-1995

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.VITALIX.NET 205.144.171.11
NS2.VITALIX.NET 205.144.171.12

This is the rebirth of movieland/moviepass, etc. It is offering the same exact garbage by the same illegal means. Right down to the website that has absolutely no physical contact information and only members can contact "customer service". The website is even similar!

See all of the posts here on Rip Off Report for Movieland and Moviepass and you will see that it is the same operation with a new name.

Go to your S-2

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Talk to the Legal Beagle in your unit. He/she will be able to assist you. You may be told to go to Base Legal, or you may be told to ignore it.

I suspect it's just a phishing attempt, as was suggested. There are several excellent anti-spyware programs available. CC Cleaner, Sybot, Spyware Blaster are a few of the better ones. Spyware Doctor is a good program, and it's not expensive. Trend Micro makes Housecall, and it has both a FREE virus scanner/cleaner, but also a FREE spyware cleaner. Avanquest/V-Com makes a great utility program called FixIt. It's very reasonably priced, and WORKS. They are up to FixIt 7 Professional, and I have used them since FixIt 3. I have never had an issue of any type on my computers since using their product. They provide daily updates/upgrades, and have excellent customer service through either E-mail, or telephone.

Do your research, and choose a good one.

In any case, make sure you get some factual info from your S-2, or Base. You know how Marines get hammered for not payng their bills.

Good luck.

#12 Consumer Suggestion

Steve, this is MovieLand renamed .. our buddy Legal is back in business!

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

All last year Steve from Brandenton, Florida and myself (and a few other of the regs from this site as they had free time) did our best to help people who were infected with the virus/trojan put out by the owners of MovieLand, which became MoviePass, then last was MuviPaz. Once too many reports were filed on these companies and Steve and I weren't scared off by 'Legal' when he posted, they pretty much weren't heard of again.

I saw a report a short time about this Popcorn.net and in my rebuttal told the person it sure sounded like MovieLand to me and suggested doing a search on this site for old reports here.

Now I came upon your report Anthony and I did some searching on google. Well, first thing I did was try clicking on the link to their site, only to have Google block me with the following warning:
--------
Warning - the site you are about to visit may harm your computer!

You can learn more about malware and how to protect yourself at StopBadware.org.

Suggestions:

Return to the previous page and pick another result.

Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Or you can continue to http://www.popcorn.net/.
--------
I backed out from there and looked thru the other links that came up in my search for 'popcorn.net'. The best I found is this URL:

This is how the above site describes the popcorn.net code that has taken over your computer. I did a double take when I read it WAS in fact linked to the same people that made so many people victims with their MovieLand code. They have a link on their site where you can download an .exe file that will remove the harmful code and enable you to use your computer again. They also have the directions for a manual removal, but unless you are an advanced computer geek, you won't want to try it. It's very involved and you could hurt your computer if you do something wrong. The file they offer for download would be the easiest way to remove popcorn.net in my opinion.

From spywareremove.com:

PopCorn.net General Description:
PopCorn.net, also known as Movieland and MoviePass, is a P2P program that offers a 3 day free trial download for online users. PopCorn.net takes over the whole screen and displays pop-ups to keep reminding you that payment is due following the trial.

According to PopCorn.net's terms of service, unless you cancel the service during the three-day period, the company will bill you $29.95 a month. PopCorn.net billing reminder pops up even when you're not surfing the web. PopCorn.net comes bundled with malicious files that allow it to keep popping up requests for payment, making it difficult to remove.

-------
If you have time, please post an update and let us know if their removal file did work for you and rid you of popcorn.net forever. Thanks so much. :)

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Looks like you need a good spyware program

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

If you had never installed "popcorn" and never gave personal info. (ie. ssn, bank account #) to the web site, you have a spyware or virus problem.They are phishing for your credit card number. Don't give it to them.

I would ignore their theats. After all, how can they ruin your credit if they don't have your ssn.

Instead, I would spend some money on a good anti-virus program and a spyware progam. That will take care of "popcorn."