Complaint Review: Port City Chrysler Dodge

• Submitted: Mon, February 09, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, February 18, 2009

• Reported By:Tewksbury Massachusetts
Port City Chrysler Dodge
155 Greenleaf Ave, Portsmouth, New Hampshire U.S.A.

Port City Chrysler Dodge Refused to return deposit Portsmouth New Hampshire

*Consumer Suggestion: SORRY BUT

*Author of original report: I don't think so!

*UPDATE Employee: Port City's response

On 11/21/2008 I decided to cancel my order and request a full refund. I sent a registered letter to the General Sales Manager. The General Sales Manager called me on 11/28/2008 about the cancellation letter. He indicated that he could not cancel the order or refund my deposit. I told him I no longer want the vehicle, that they did not meet the 6 - 10 week delivery date, no scheduled date to build the vehicle; no VIN assigned and demanded my money back. He has refused to do so. I have consulted my Attorney and he will be perusing my deposit recovery.

To this day (02/09/09) I have not heard from anyone from Port City Chrysler Dodge since 11/28/2008 when I spoke to the General Sales Manager regarding my cancellation letter and request for a refund. Please note that this vehicle was ordered on 9/27/2008.

I have contacted the BBB and filed a complaint against them and my credit card company as well. My credit card company did refund my money however, since the 6 - 10 week delivery period was not noted on the purchase agreement; they had to give the money back to Port City Chrysler Dodge. I have a witness that who was with me at the time to vouch for the 6 - 10 week delivery. However, that's just hearsay.

According to Chrysler, the vehicle was built on 01/19/2009 and was received by Port City Chrysler Dodge on 02/02/2009. That's a total of 20 weeks to wait for a car. That's totally unacceptable! I confirmed this when I spoke to Chrysler Customer Service on February 4, 2009.

So now they can sell the car and attempt to keep my deposit. I feel that this is a very poor business practice where the consumer looses in the end. Hopefully one of them will read this, have a conscience and put themselves in my shoes; maybe even have the decency to refund my deposit. I'm sure if it was any of them they would want their full deposit back.

I guess in the end, if anyone plans to order a new vehicle, make sure you get the delivery date in writting.

383rr
Tewksbury, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2009 06:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Port-City-Chrysler-Dodge/Portsmouth-New-Hampshire-03801/Port-City-Chrysler-Dodge-Refused-to-return-deposit-Portsmouth-New-Hampshire-421839. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Port City Chrysler Dodge

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: D K - (U.S.A.)

you said "however, since the 6 - 10 week delivery period was not noted on the purchase agreement" They got ya there.... if it was not in writing, it is not valid...

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

I don't think so!

AUTHOR: 383rr - (U.S.A.)

Mr. Thompson you stated "being told 6-10 weeks for delivery for a 6-speed manual transmission Challenger, that never happened." is a total lie! I was told told by your sales staff on 9/27/2008 6 - 10 weeks.
As far as you paying for interest, I guess you have the first $2,769.00 of it covered! So in the end when you sell the $35 car, you'll have make some bonus dollars. That you cannot deny!

Port City's response

AUTHOR: John Thompson - (U.S.A.)

It makes me angry as a 13+ year employee of Port City and 17 years in the car business to have the blame always fall on the car dealer. While I have worked for Port City we have always been one of the top rated in customer satisfaction in the country. We have no hidden fees, gimmicks, documentation or preparation fees and we always put the customer first. When we advertise a vehicle for a certain price we sell it at that price. Always up front and straight forward. So why would we be expected to place a factory order for a very specific vehicle and put $33,000 of our money up front(not the customer's money) to get this vehicle? The reason we do is because the customer signs a contract that clearly states that he will pay for the vehicle when it arrives from the factory within 48 hours. As for the customer's comments about being told 6-10 weeks for delivery for a 6-speed manual transmission Challenger, that never happened. We tell every customer that places a factory order for a 6-speed Challenger expect 3-6 months for delivery. The reason is the 6-speed manual Tremec transmission takes longer to get. On another note, it also clearly states on our contract that he signed "I acknowledge that delays may be experienced by you in obtaining the vehicle purchased by me which are beyond your control. For this reason, I further acknowledge and understand that any time for delivery quoted in this Motor Vehicle Purchase Contract is for informational and planning purposes only and shall not be binding upon either of us. You will keep me informed of the progress of this transaction and if delays may be encountered." How much clearer could we state it?
As of 2/10/2009 this Challenger is still on our lot and everyday it sits here we pay interest on the vehicle.