Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery Associates Inc.

• Submitted: Mon, October 26, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, October 26, 2009

• Reported By: Jeff — Chicago Illinois USA
Portfolio Recovery Associates Inc.
120 Corporate Boulevard Norfilk, Virginia United States of America

Portfolio Recovery Associates Inc. Called to tell us my wife owes $5,259 for Wickes Furniture purchase made in her name in 2006 Norfilk, Virginia

Got a call from Portfolio Recovery Associates this morning telling us that we owe for a Wickes furniture purchase made in Sept. of 2006 - $5,259.35
They also said that the last payment of $4,381 was paid in May of 2008 - I believe that Wickes had been in bankruptcy and closed shortly before this date say March of 2008

1-They had my wife's last 4 of her social & date of birth correct
2-The address listed is not ours nor have we ever lived on or near that street
3- We did purchase furniture from Wickes - in the mid 1990's, paid it off & closed the account (slightly over $2,000 total)
4- They also claim that they just received the account to collect this month - Oct. 2009

We absolutely did not make this purchase. She is sending me a "Fraud Dispute Package" to fill out, but after reading many other complaints on this site I feel it would be a mistake to do that - giving them even more personal information to use against us.

I'd like to find out WHO sent them the account from Wickes & talk to them, but as they are no longer in business I can't find out who that may be.
How can we fight this & prevent PRA from reproting us to the Credit agencies? Who do we talk to?? If I ignore them I fear it will only get worse.

After I explained that it was not us & couldn't be the woman from PRA was not in any way abusive or difficult & is sending us that Fraud form, but I don't think it will remain cordial for long.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/26/2009 08:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-Inc/Norfilk-Virginia-23502/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-Inc-Called-to-tell-us-my-wife-owes-5259-for-Wickes-Furni-514913. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery Associates Inc.