Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, September 14, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, September 15, 2012

• Reported By: Anonymous — Wyoming United States of America
Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc. Rip Off Artists USA, Internet

*Author of original report: Thank you and the other for your input

*Consumer Comment: Do this also

*Consumer Suggestion: SOL

While still living in one town, I was contacted by Rip Off Artists USA on my unlisted phone # telling me that I owed them $7000.  I asked them  how I could possibly owe them this money because I did not owe anyone any money.

They told me that I owed for a credit card.  I told them I did not have any credit cards.  They said it was a credit card from 1999.  I told them first of all, that bill is way over 10 years old and they couldn't collect on it even if I did owe it.  They mentioned the name of the credit card company and I told them I never had any credit cards with such a company.  They insisted I pay it immediately, and I told them they weren't getting a dime for a bogus credit card debt, and hung up.

I moved shortly after that and some how they got a hold of my cell phone number and called me.  I asked them how they got my number and they said they have their ways.  He said "I insist you pay this $7000 immediately so let's just take care of it right now".  "I said this is how we will take care of it", and hung up on him.  I immediately called my cell phone company and was told it would cost me close to $5 extra a month to put a block on my phone.  I told her it would be worth the extra to have peace from these rip off artists.  I was allowed up to 30 blocks and went online to find all the Portfolio Recover Associates I could find and blocked everyone of those numbers.  So, now, the only way they will be able to call me is if they use their personal phones.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2012 03:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-Inc/internet/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-Inc-Rip-Off-Artists-USA-Internet-941344. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc.

Thank you and the other for your input

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

I did in fact check my credit just prior to the second call, and it was not on there.  I don't know whether it will stop them from putting something of that nature on there or not; but I put a fraud alert on my credit reports.

If I understand the laws correctly, they cannot put something that old on my credit report anyway. If they do, what is my recourse? thank you again for your input.

Do this also

AUTHOR: Niko234 - (United States of America)

If they call again, in addition to taking them to court Ask them for verification of the debt. If they fail to provide this you have them dead to rights.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

SOL

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

If they call again just challenege them to take you to court. The statute of limitations has long since expired.

As a sideline, I'd recheck my credit reports and see if they placed any derogatories or tried to reage your account.