Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC

• Submitted: Mon, March 03, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, August 09, 2008

• Reported By:Miami Florida
Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC
P.O. Box 12914 Norfolk, Virginia U.S.A.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Running Demanding Payment for an Alledge Defaulted Bank of America line of credit 8 years old. Norfolk Virginia

*Consumer Comment: The same thing happened to me!

*Consumer Comment: Send these cockroaches a credit verificationletter to prove its your debt

In the past few days I have received voicemail and a"tax season settlement offer" letter from Portfolio Recovery Associates (PRA), a collection agency on behalf of "MBNA America Bank/Bank of America", to pay an alledge defaulted loan I tookin March 2000 and that I have absolutely no knowledge about.

On Feb 28th 2008 I received a voicemail from a lady by the name of Victoria (1-800-383-8013 ext. 22758) to call Portfolio Recovery Associates. Five days later on March 3,2008 I received a "tax season settlement offer" letter to settle a debt of $1500+ owed to Bank of America (BOA) by paying $1200 offer expiring late March 2008.

As per Ms. Victoria I took out a loan 8 years ago and paid it on time for 6 years and because I did not paid it off the last 2 years I defaulted thus PRA is acting as a collector for this debt. To begin I have no knowledge about this loan, nor have I ever banked at BOA, obviously I denied the debt as I was dumbfounded so I asked Ms. Victoria to provide me with documentation (proof of payments made by me during those 6 years, proof of the actual loan documents) proving the alledge credit line loan I took. First she said it was a credit line later a credit card debt and failed to fulfill my request by faxing the supporting documentation.

What concerns me is that she had access to my personal information including social security and credit report, all the rest of the information on the report was accurate except the alledge BOA loan. and used it to refute my request for proof of documentation.

My gut feeling told me this was a scam and that I might be victim of identity theft. What startles me is how can PRA just pin a debt on me without providing any documentation as I dispute it. She even when to say that there will be inquiries from PRA on my credit report that will lower my score and will be done periodically untill I pay off this (bogus) debt.

I'm sad that my credit history is now tarnished but will continue to have good faith and pay off all my authentic creditors but PRA will never see a dime from me!

Luis
Miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/03/2008 05:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-LLC/Norfolk-Virginia-23541/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-LLC-Running-Demanding-Payment-for-an-Alledge-Defaulted-Bank-314373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC

The same thing happened to me!

AUTHOR: Amdrrt5192 - (U.S.A.)

The same exact thing happened to me, and every time I called to talk to my "representative" with PRA she was never there so I had to talk to who ever was available and they never seemed to know anything. And every time I ask what needs to be done to clear up this mess they always tell me something different. I personally feel bad for Bank of America because PRA is using their name on fraudulent accounts. They say that if this is identity theft then it must have been a person I know because they opened the account and then paid on it for two years but there is no possible way that's true. And then when I asked for information about the payment they could not provide that for me. This is just ridiculous! Have you found a solution to your problem yet? Because I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to get this off of my credit and out of my life!

Send these cockroaches a credit verificationletter to prove its your debt

AUTHOR: Faron - (U.S.A.)

Send it certified, return-receipt and sign only with a typed signature< they have only 30 days to respond to this. Also, monitor the 3 reporting agencies. You can go to annualcreditreport.com and receive all three for free (however this is a one-sot deal and can only be done once a year). Also a good idea to get in touch with budhibbs.com and he can put you in contact with an attorney in Miami to fight the cockroaches and watch them scurry. Good luck!