Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery Associates

• Updated: Sun, April 10, 2011

• Reported By: mad as he** — Newburgh New York United States of America
Portfolio Recovery Associates
PO Box 12914 Norfolk, Virginia United States of America

Portfolio Recovery Associates camco Camco is attempting to recover a 17 year old account. Norfolk, Virginia

*Consumer Suggestion: Ignore them.

Today, a representative called me from CAMCO, stating that I had a 17 year old debt.  I asked the agent, if she could explain WHAT company I owed. The agent responded, "no, Im really not sure, but I do have a list of possibilities",, I complied, I asked her to read off what she had and perhaps we could narrow down the company.  She read about  100 possiblities, none of whom I had ever heard.. I told her not to get upset, I would get on the computer and together maybe we could find out what Camco was talking about. She had absolutely NO clue what to do at this point.  She started reading off about half a dozen more possibilites.. I told her, NO, I had not opened an account with any of them. I told her, that I would call back in the morning, as I was going to check with my local credit bureau to find out what was owed. The agent then told me that she had to refer my call to a manager.  I spoke to the manager who also stated that although she did NOT know who I owed, I did owe 200.00.. I again asked her, well, do you have any idea who is it? She stated that she did not BUT, I could have it investigated.. So, at that point, I was transferred to the Investigation Department. The individual who I spoke to, stated that although she did not really know who I owed, I did owe money.. At that point, I asked for the address to send it a cease and desist. She then stated, oh, its not even on your credit bureau, they "fall" off in about five years.  I asked her, "then what am I paying for", she whispered, I dont know, I just want to keep my job and hung up.. Needless to say, I still have absolutely no idea who I owe!! This is a total scam in an attempt to make people pay on bills that no longer exist!! Buyer Beware!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/05/2011 05:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates/Norfolk-Virginia-23541/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-camco-Camco-is-attempting-to-recover-a-17-year-old-account-714269. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery Associates

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ignore them.

AUTHOR: Graham1954 - (United States of America)

On no account give them any personal information.  They purchase VERY old debt that is usually expired then try to make people pay.  Their whole business revolves around trying to recover money that is legally discharged debt via intimidation and threats.

Also you may want to check out this link.  http://www.fdcpa.me/portfolio-recovery-associates-zombie-robo-signer/  It shows the depths to which they will go to try to get money you don't owe by any means possible!