Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery

• Updated: Sat, October 29, 2011

• Reported By: flower_child — Virginia United States of America
Portfolio Recovery
120 Corporate Blvd. Norfolk, Virginia United States of America

Portfolio Recovery Cavalry, NCO They say I owe a debt from 11 + years ago...constant calls...help Norfolk, Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Don't pay it

*Consumer Comment: tape calls and file a complaint with your attorney general

*Consumer Comment: How

Portfolio Recovery has been calling me for the past 4 months.  I answered the initial call, refused to give them my SSN.  They say that I have debts to Capital One and some utility company from 2000!!  I told them that I couldn't believe that they are trying to collect after 11 plus years.  They gave me a city and state where the debt was from and I never lived there in 2000.

I then explained to them that in December 2010, I had paid off every debt that I had, which is absolutely true.  I explained that we (husband and I) had hired an attorney to find all of my debts (debt from my previous marriage...ugh) and that we paid every single debt that was on all of my credit reports in December 2010, so I found it hard to believe that I owed anything to the people that they stated I did.  I also found it funny because I had just received a new credit card from Capital One!!  I said "why would they give me a card if I owed them money?"  They said that they purchased the debt from someone else.

They then told me that I could write a letter to them stating that I didn't owe the debt and "they" would determine if I really owed or not.  I sent the letter, but they are still calling 2-3 times per day.

My husband did pay all of my debts off for me (he is such a great guy!!) because he wanted me to have great credit again and to finally move on with my life.  We also have three very small children and he wants to make sure that I have great credit if anything ever happens to him. He has excellent credit and wants the same for me.

Anyway, the debts that they say I owe are in the state of Missouri and are over 11 years old.  I don't think that I owe anything at all.  Plus, it is well beyond the Statute of Limitations, right?

What can I do now?  Anything?  I am sick of the calls and I have no debt now and I do not owe the ones that they claim that I do.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2011 10:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery/Norfolk-Virginia-23502/Portfolio-Recovery-Cavalry-NCO-They-say-I-owe-a-debt-from-11-years-agoconstant-calls-757086. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery

Don't pay it

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

First they have to prove and show that you not someone else owes the debt.  Regardless however since it is over 10 years I would not pay anything.   It is no longer affecting your credit report and if you begin to make payment on it now it will reactivate it and make it current on your credit report as a derog which will bring down your credit score.   At this time you have nothing to gain by dealing with them.

tape calls and file a complaint with your attorney general

AUTHOR: tom - (USA)

I would start by taking digital pictures of the calls on your phone and creating a log.  Send them a cease and desist letter.   Telling them to contact you by mail only.  Now you can file a complaint against them with the attorney General of your state and The FTC at FTC.gov.  Debtorboards can help.  Its free. They are a .com. Put the two together and thats their web address.  Be smart do not give them information.

Don't fall for their lies.   Check your rights under the Fair debt collection protection act.  You can even sue.
Check on the statute of limitations in your state.
Good luck.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

How did you send the letter?

You should have sent it Certified with Return Receipt.  This not only proves when you sent it but when they received it.  Once they Receive the Cease Contact letter and they contact you even once(other than to tell you they will no longer contact you), you can file a suit against them for actual damages as well as statutory damages up to $1000.  You can do this in Small Claims without an attorney.  But if you already have one you can also claim reasonable attorney fees if you want them to handle it.

When you send the letter you also should not sign it just print your name, as some collection agencies are known for taking that signature and scanning it onto something you never signed.  Also, you should write the Certified # ON the actual letter before you send it.