Complaint Review: Portfolio Recovery

• Updated: Mon, January 16, 2012

• Reported By: Sherry D Hardy — Kenduskeag Maine United States of America
Portfolio Recovery
140 Cooperate Blvd Norfork, Virginia United States of America

Portfolio Recovery This company keeps demanding money for a credit card I never had from 1994.They state I owe over 3,000 dollars Norfork, Virginia

*Consumer Comment: So they want to help?

*Consumer Comment: Ex Employee Johnson 23, read the post!!!

*General Comment: Listen to them!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Statute Of Limitations Expired Long Ago

*Consumer Comment: Contact the Better Business Bureau

*Consumer Comment: Most likely you can tell thm to go to h**l

*Consumer Comment: Would like more information

The company Portfolio Recovery first conatcted me about 5 months ago, stating that I owed a credit card debt to Capital one from 1994 of over 3,000 dollars and that I needed to find someway to pay this debt. They gave me an address of Woodchuck hill and haven't even lived there since 1994 when my ex hsuband and I were divorced. I asked them to send me something in the mail stating what was owed and they became up set with me and sayed" do you want to pay this bill or not, why are you asking for a statement." I explained to them that I don't recall ever having a capital one card and part of the reason I was divorced was because my exhusband was forging my name on the checking account and writing bad checks. Still this was back in 1994. The cards I did have are paid off and closed. They refused to send my some sort of proof that the bill even existed, and I believe that I never even had this card.They told me to send them a letter stating I never had the card and I did. But they continue to call and ask for money, stating I never sent them a letter. They call almost every day. My boyfriend is getting frustrated with the phone callls and so am I. Today they called and gave me a email address to send them another letter. And this is when I came up with your address. They keep threatening to put this on my credit report. If there was a card it wasn't from me. And why would they wait for almost 17 years to act on it. Can they actually do that?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2011 10:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Portfolio-Recovery/Norfork-Virginia-23502/Portfolio-Recovery-This-company-keeps-demanding-money-for-a-credit-card-I-never-had-from-803103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Portfolio Recovery

So they want to help?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- This from a debt collector...hilarious but not really surprising.

Sure they are willing to "help" you.  They will "help" you by saying you need to pay this debt.  They will "help" you by saying to just make a "good faith" payment of $50 and they will work something out.  They will then "help" you by turning around and suing you for the entire debt because you reset the Statute of Limitations.

Too bad that the one thing they don't "help" you with is to explain that the SOL has expired long ago and you don't legally owe a thing.

Ex Employee Johnson 23, read the post!!!

AUTHOR: Nc - (U.S.A.)

1.  The so-called debt is 17 years old!!! REALLY!! 17 years old!!!

2.  The OP didn't have a Capitol One Card. Why should she pay it? She stated that she closed her accounts and paid them off.

I sure wouldn't pay anyone who contacted me after 17 years for a card I didn't have. I would send them a cease and desist letter.

#3 General Comment

Listen to them!!!

AUTHOR: Johnson23 - (United States of America)

I have been an employee of PRA, the statute of limitations is up on the acct, although it is still able to be collected on. When you sign for a card you signed for charge off fees, late fee's, and interest. As far as asking for a "bill" or an statement you also signed to not allow a 3rd party any kind of itimized statement. It's not like they are asking you to sign your life away, they are willing to help you. I apologize for anyone who has been rude to any of you in the past. It's as simple as being responsible and taking care of the money you borrowed. #payyourbills

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Statute Of Limitations Expired Long Ago

AUTHOR: TTC Media - (United States of America)

The statute of limitations in Virginia is 3 years on consumer debt.  A 1994 consumer debt is well past the three year limitation.  Just tell them they can not collect as the statute of limitations has expired and that is all that is needed.  Put it in writing and tell them that any further contact will be viewed as harassment and if they do contact you again, file charges and sue them.

Contact the Better Business Bureau

AUTHOR: ES1980 - (United States of America)

I just had a situation similar to this with this company.  They called me every day about a debt that was reconciled 7+ years ago with the original debtor.  I sent them several dispute letters and asked them to not call me at work anymore and they claimed they never received the letters and continued to call. As soon as the BBB contacted them I got a response of OOPS we made a mistake, the account was deleted and I have not been contacted in the last 3 weeks.

Most likely you can tell thm to go to h**l

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Check your state laws. Most likely, assuming it was legit to begin with, the statue of limitations long expired that debt legally. That doesn't mean whoever now owns the debt can't try to pester you for it, but they won't be able to get any judgment, and they have to stop harassing you legally if you tell them to leave you be.

If you can't find definitive information online, ask the office of your local state legislator or DA if they can tell you.
Many lenders have been digging up ancient unpaid debts and defaults, selling them to credit collection agencies for pennies, meaning a lot of people are now seeing these old ghosts returning.

It could also be a scam attempt.

Would like more information

AUTHOR: anonymous - (USA)

I would like to have more information about what happened to you.