Complaint Review: Powell's Plumbing

• Updated: Fri, April 19, 2013

• Reported By: Shannon — Winchester Virginia
Powell's Plumbing
152 Windy Hill Lane Winchester, Virginia United States of America

Powell's Plumbing A Company only out for Money, Poor Service, Incorrect Repairs Winchester, Virginia

Once we arrived back home from vacation, we found that our plumbing was having issues. The toilets, bathtubs and stand up shower had filled with feces and sewage water, and was sitting. It would not drain, and if you tried to flush it, they would overflow. We called around for plumbers, and Powells Plumbing was the first company that answered and could make it out to our home. We needed someone fast, since we have two children and it is unsafe to have sewage/ feces sitting. Powells Plumbing came out the next day and at first tried to snake the lines by hand. This did not work. They then went to their work van and took out a snaking machine. They continued to snake the lines for about 15-20 mins. They came to me and said they were able to unclog the quest bathroom, and that "everything was flowing great". The charged us $209 - this was for labor, the machine and travel time. Our plumbing seemed to be working ok, but not 100%. [continued below]....
..... We figured it just needed time. 5 days later, the same issue happened. The toilets, bathtubs and stand up shower were over flowing again. Again, we had feces and a horrible smell coming from our bathrooms. My Boyfriend called Powells Plumbing and asked if they could return to complete fixing our plumbing. They stated that if they returned, they would have to charge $155 for a camera, $110 to use/ relocate the camera, $98/hr for Labor and another travel charge. This is just to look, not to repair anything. They also stated that the first day they had open was Monday (We called on Friday). By Monday morning, I had called Powells Plumbing about the situation. I first spoke with a Receptionist, I told her what our issue was and she stated the same charges to return. I told her that the reason I needed them to return, was to complete the repair I had asked them to do the first time. She said they did, when the unclogged our system. I asked why they didnt use the camera the first time to find the issues, and fix them correctly the first time. She stated that they dont carry cameras on their work vans. After speaking to her for a moment, I asked to speak to the manager. Again, I explained the situation. I also asked him, why they didnt use the camera on their first visit to find and fix the issues correctly. He stated that they only bring the cameras, if they are requested by the customer. I stated that I do not know about plumbing, and that I was never given that option. I stated that I would have chosen that option, if it had been given to me. I would have rather the situation be fixed right the first time, then to continue to pay their company to return, over and over. I stated that the issue they were called on to fix was never fixed. He stated we fixed it for the moment. I agreed, they fixed it for the moment, but thats not what we wanted. We did not want nor pay for a temporary fix. He continued to say that Powells does not warranty drain lines which was never told to us. I also explained that we called Friday, and that the only time they had open was Monday, but I felt that was unacceptable due to the fact we had sewage and feces sitting in water in our home with children and pets. He went ahead to tell me, that they had appointments opened on Saturday, and that we didnt want to pay the overtime charges. This was the first that I had heard that. I explained that we were never offered that appointment, and that we would have taken it due to the home being unsafe. H continued to ask me who I was and if my name was on the property, because he claimed it was not on the paperwork, and that he could not talk to me. (It is my phone number on the paperwork, I was the one at the at home during the visit, and it was my signature on the receipt.) I asked if I could speak to another manager. He told me that no one was in, but that he would have Jeff call me back. This was at 7am. By 11am, I still had not received a phone call back. I called again, left another message for Jeff to return my call. By 450pm (we still have sitting feces, this being 4-5 days later, and not being able to use our plumbing) still no phone call back. I called again, spoke to another lady. She explained to me, that Jeff had gone home for the day. That he left at 4pm. I told her that it is unacceptable that the owner. Manager did not find it necessary to call a customer back, in regards to their service and that we were in an unsafe situation. After speaking to her for about 5-10 mins, she then stated there is a manager here who will take your call. The manager gets on the phone, and its Jeff. (Apparently he didnt leave at 4pm like I was told originally) I explained the situation again for the 5th time. Explaining that we needed their company to return to complete fixing the issues. He just continued to state that they would not return unless we paid the fees (About another $300 just to look at our plumbing, again) I asked why I wasnt given the option to have the camera used on the first visit. He stated they dont offer that to new clients. I told him that the other manager I spoke with told me they did and that I had to request it. I also stated that if they dont carry cameras on their vans, what if the machine snaking did not work. Would I have to pay for your company to travel back to the shop, to pick up the camera, and come back to complete the work? He laughed and said no. So I stated why would I have to pay you now to return with the camera, since they should have looked at my drains on the first visit? He just continued to say, we dont offer that option to new clients, because the camera cost is $155, plus $110 to use and that he didnt want to charge a new client $500 on a visit if the camera was not needed. Well in this case, the camera was needed, and I am a new client, and if they return I would be paying the $500 +. He got rude and stated me by another name. I asked what name he was calling me? He said oh, Im sorry I dont have your paperwork in front of me. He asked also asked me who I was, and if my name was on the property. I told him That Paul Lewis is the owner, and that I am his girlfriend that has been living in this location for 4 years that It is my phone number on the paperwork, I was the one at the at home during the visit, and it was my signature on the receipt. I also stated that I would be filing a report about his company with BBB and he stated Do what you feel you have to, just dont slander us and hung up on me. I was in shock.
We called another company out, since we could not live in a home with feces just sitting. The other company came out and looked at our system. They used a camera and found that we have something called a belly and possibly a broken pipe under the house. They also cleaned out and flushed our pipes (No more feces) they asked what Powells Plumbing did. I stated they went into the guest bathroom and snaked the toilet. The other company asked if Powells went outside or into the master bath. I said they only went into to the master bath to see if the water was running. They did not complete any work in the master bath or outside. The Other Company stated that Powells plumbing should have known there was a major problem with the drain pipes. And that only looking at the guest bathroom would not have fixed our issues. The problem we had would have had to be seen by going into the master bath and outside where the catch drain is. The other company also stated that we have air vents on the roof or ceiling, which was also causing the problem due to poor air flow. None of this was told to me by Powells Plumbing. They didnt even look at any of this. The other Company stated that Powells Plumbing should have been able to tell me this and to fix the issues the first time. But because Powells Plumbing snaked the Guest Bathroom, and Unclogged the pipe they only pushed the clog more into the belly, causing more problems.
This has caused us nothing but problems. We were unable to use the plumbing for days, due to Powells Plumbing not completing the repair correctly and possibly causing more damage. I dont see how any professional business owner can hang up on a customer who is having a major issue, an issue that could cause health issues due to feces sitting in the bathrooms. I also did not appreciate being lied to and not having a call returned after leaving several messages.  The way they handled our situation is just unacceptable.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/19/2013 05:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Powells-Plumbing/Winchester-Virginia-22602/Powells-Plumbing-A-Company-only-out-for-Money-Poor-Service-Incorrect-Repairs-Wincheste-1044518. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Powell's Plumbing