Complaint Review: Powerhoutz Promotions

• Submitted: Thu, June 02, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, August 25, 2007

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
Powerhoutz Promotions
1940 F. Lehigh Ave Glenview, Illinois U.S.A.

Powerhoutz Promotions scams job-seekers into thinking they're being hired for Managers positions Glenview Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: I wasted my Gas today on the first interview!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: mentor!! are you seriouse!!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: a great mentor

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I wish I would have seen these comments before my "2nd Interview!"

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Unpaid from Taylor Made

*UPDATE Employee: Absolute Scam

*Consumer Comment: p-houtz

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: You Guys Are A Joke!

*Consumer Comment: My interview is this comming Monday, January 8, 2007 - THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THIS

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I used to work for them

*Consumer Comment: I know! I'm glad ripoffreport.com is here to show how these companies operate! BEWARE!

I avoided this SCAM this week. This new company pops up posting on CareerBuilder.com, MSN, AOL CareerBuilder, Employment Guide and other job posting websites. They post they are hiring Managers and you need no experience. At first I thought this was telemarketing, but worse, is anything worse than telemarketing? This is another pyramid SCAM that recruits alot of yound adults (18-25) to visit their offices, they hold an interview, but dont take your application, they are quick talkers and boast about the National companies they do "Direct Marketing" for.

They wanted me to start immediately, but I avoided that SCAM and waste of time and gas, because this company, these are the ones responsible for the outside trinket sales people you see or are bugged by to try their product. This SCAM reminds me of the perfum SCAM the "Scentura Creations" or whatever name they use... same approah, they SCAM you into think you're going to become a manager with their company, and they have you sell poor imitation perfum on the streets.

There are 2 offices under this company, one near Chicago (Glenview, IL) and one in Inglewood, CA. Here's there information, so please avoid:

Powerhoutz Promotions Inc.

Illinois Office
1940 F. Lehigh Ave
Glenview, IL

new phone: 847-486-8880
phone:847 832 9246 (Number from website, out-of-order)
fax: 847 832 9287

Also, here's the jerk from the Illinios office cell phone number:
Billy
818-523-5681

Here are other affiliated SCAM companies that boast "Direct Marketing" management position, but actually SCAM you in the same matter:
Mile High Marketing International, Inc.
www.mhminternational.com

www.eventiveconcepts.com
10512 Meadowglen
Houston, TX 77042
713-334-8800

Please job-seekers, DONT do the SCAM, it's not worth your time. I hope the potential job seeker sees this before going to that place. And I hope they soon go out of business, because you cant SCAM a job-seeker out time and money so you can prosper. Job-seekers need to get REAL jobs with LEGITIMATE companies.

Antonio
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2005 07:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Powerhoutz-Promotions/Glenview-Illinois/Powerhoutz-Promotions-scams-job-seekers-into-thinking-theyre-being-hired-for-Managers-pos-144791. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Powerhoutz Promotions

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I wasted my Gas today on the first interview!

AUTHOR: Pinkskier - (U.S.A.)

I applied and phoned back another marketing company called Warren International. Their description on their website sounded like door-to-door outside sales interactions that Primerica requires. I just didn't go. The next day, I phoned back another firm that I applied for...when they included words like warehouses meaning their had the products that not selling financial services. Something was too suspicious about the multiple ads from the same companies that put in on different locations.

PPI was what I applied for and accepted to go for the interview when they listed a Base salary because alot of the other marketing firms only listed commission and bonuses...making it clear that it's pay by performance. There were alot of people...esp. women that came today for the interviews. I dressed all nice for no reason because I hate professional dress. Billy Houtz I saw looked like a pervert by taking his time eyeing all the new women in the room and walking out with another hoe to his car. I live very far away from there..hoping the base salary can get me housing in Chicago and have a real life. Guess not, wasted a quarter of a tank of gas. Now I learned my lesson the hard way again on my expense.

Yes, I applied for PPI..the one owned by Billy Houtz. But I was phoned back by TaylorMade promotions owned by Katie Taylor. I thought she fast talked because she was behind on the interviews...but I guess not. Making it sound like fast-paced and stuff. I most likely will be phoned back and asked for a day of observation. I get it now! At least it will be free labor for now. If they see you as an asset, they will want to keep you through lies and promises....no different from a politician and child molestor.

I think a journalist should go do this insider piece and seriously expose these people in the media.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

mentor!! are you seriouse!!

AUTHOR: Jaki - (U.S.A.)

Billy Houtz is not only the least qualified person to call a mentor, he is also the lowest form of man on earth. Billy! you claim that the people who file these reports against you aren't the "sharpest tools in the shed" due to spell check errors?!?! I believe I heard "hey jaki how do you spell...." a thousand times in the six horrifying months I worked for you. on top of the sexual harrassment and verbal abuse I endured while working for you- I don't suggest you try and challenge me on this as I have witnesses and can to this day press charges on you. You are a horrible person. For the record, William Houtz is a pathological liar. He blatantly places ad's saying "no selling" then had me lie and say "oh no there is no selling involved" , not only do you sell, but you sell crap, and you can get arrested doing it! He screamed and yelled at me one day because I hadn't seen my son in 3 months, so I took him for a 3 day weekend at my moms house. his words were "you left me here for 3 days! what was I supposed to do!" are you kidding me?! if you come across an ad that says anything in the relm of "entry level management. no exp. ness.!" Dont call!!! DON'T CALL!!!!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

a great mentor

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

My name is Jessica and I worked for Billy Houtz about 8 months ago. I want everyone to know the truth about him not these lies. First of all you are lucky if you make it to the second interview. He obviously sees something in you. Second it's not a scam it's a real job. I mean would you rather sit in an office all day fine but that's not working hard that's just working hard for someone else. Billy Houtz was and is a great mentor for me and the rest of his partners. The reason I use the word partners is because he hated being called a boss he liked to teach and mentor you not boss you around. So that's probably why that job wasn't for you. You probably aren't a hard worker, determined, or smart. The reason I left is personal but it had noting to do with any SCAMS!!!! that's a joke. Katie she is the sweetest woman I know she is confident and a millionaire. They both are millionaires trying to make people like us rich, fast. So stop talking about them just because you won't get off your lazy butts and go get the money you deserve. So thanks Billy and Katie you guys are great and ill never forget the things you taught me.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I wish I would have seen these comments before my "2nd Interview!"

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I responded to those infamous ads that you are all talking about. I went to PPI, Taylormade Promotionz with the intent of building a good resume for my future marketing career. Boy I was in for a ride!

I went through the extra quick first interview and was actually nervous when I saw hopeful employees walk in one after another to interview for the same position. I should have known then that something was up, but I thought, oh well. I'll do my best.

I got the call back almost instantly after I left for a second interview. Why did I not see the scheme unfolding?

All in all, I know I could have made a lot of money selling the garbage that they trick people into thinking helps "Save Missing Children." But did I want to have trouble sleeping at night knowing that I'm a con/scam artist?

I would say thay Katie Taylor and her ridiculous excuse for a "Marketing Firm" are definately a VERY REAL PYRAMID SCHEME. Anyone who is seriously interested in outing this waste of time place, send a rebuttle and we'll come up with something brilliant! :)

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Unpaid from Taylor Made

AUTHOR: C - (U.S.A.)

Billy-
Is it just me or is it ILLEGAL to not pay someone who worked for you, even if it was for less than a week?
It's been over a month since I quit your company and I STILL have not recieved my first and only paycheck. On my first call Katie Taylor told me it was in the mail. After two weeks I tried again and the receptionist told me she would call me back. Katie never called back. On my third attempt, a month later, the receptionist once again put me on hold and told me that Katie was "not in the building". This time I warned your receptionist that the next phone call would be from the BBB or the Department of Labor. I have still heard nothing from Ms. Taylor.
Being a citizen of Glenview, I will do anything in my power to kick you guys out. The BBB has been contacted, and I highly recommend that if anyone reading this has a complaint against the company, they should report it as well.

Oh and Billy no offence but for someone who supposedly makes 6 digits a year, wouldn't you want to drive something nicer than that mid 90's POS I've seen you rolling in?
"The fish stinks from the head down" right Billy? Something smells. Rotten.

~CA

Absolute Scam

AUTHOR: Lauren - (U.S.A.)

Avoid at all costs. If direct marketing is your thing PPI, Taylor Made, or whatever name we are going under this week, then spell it out.
Why create such a hype just to change up the description of the job once the people are interviewed? Furthermore, it is EXACTLY how people have claimed.
Literally, fast talking on the interview. Speed talking so fast you can barely understand.
Claiming salary, but resulting in commissions.

This job is for those that love going to businesses and trying to make sales.

Thats what it is, cut and dry.

So why lie and avoid people who WANT to do this?

From the moment you walk in the office with the techno music pumping you up, you should turn yourself around and walk right out.

My husband was literally ON a job shadowing for TaylorMade out of Glenview, and I called the main office with questions.

I asked what exactly an event planner would do at a job for them. She said that the position was filled! ??? What, DURING his job shadowing?

What a joke..

Flat out CALL places and ASK the questions BEFORE wasting a second on these places.

Shame on you Billy Houtz.

p-houtz

AUTHOR: Bradley - (U.S.A.)

billy,

there is such a thing as bad publicity. especially when it's on ripoffreport. and it lets people know how much of a waste of time it is to "interview" with your "company".

what your employees do is probably the hardest job in the world to do and be successful at it. it takes a special kind of person. theres no doubt in my mind you would have zero interest from job-seekers if you told them the truth about the job they are applying for.

so, i understand why your hiring procedures are designed to be so vague. you would have to be insane to want to do what the job description should say on careerbuilder
-travel to the worst neighborhoods in chicago to sell crap for 10$/item

ya i would lie to prospective employees too.

maybe you do find some people that can stick it out with your company and make a decent living at it. but it sucks for the rest of us that have to waste an entire day because we were expecting something completely different from your job description. and dont think the employees that you have that do well with your company are better than the ones who reject you and laugh at you, my bet is they are probably extremely desperate people. desperate people are good at selling when they know theyll get immediate cash to pay for long over due bills, drugs, or whatever.

and another thing: theres no way you could take legal action on anyone that slips cell phones, names, or addresses past the ripoff filter. it would be impossible.

#8 REBUTTAL Owner of company

You Guys Are A Joke!

AUTHOR: Billy - (U.S.A.)

I find it very interesting how you post peoples phone numbers, emails, cell numbers, etc. on sites like this.

The reality is that we are a promotional marketing company that distributes products wholesale from business to business - door to door - Harvard business school, as well as any other educational program, calls it direct marketing.

The postings which you have listed on your site are humorous to me for many reasons:
1. Most of the responses are from people who have never even interviewed with our company, let alone worked here.
2. The grammar errors in the letters let it be known the sender isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
3. My last name is "Houtz," hence Power"Houtz" Promotions - the above accusation that the name is used to avoid trouble with the government is not only false, but extremely close to crossing the legal lines.
4. All of the entries come at the wee hours of the night because those writing the "complaints" have nothing better to do.
5. The letter from the "former employee," whom actually made over $600 each week here, is obviously bs - anyone that worked at a company for 2 weeks and encounters an unrecoverable financial loss is not sane.

I'm sure that you will not post this because it may not meet your "rebuttal guidelines," but your site should perhaps adopt a more complete investigation of reports - to post something without verification is rather wreckless & extremely unprofessional.

If you would like to discuss this matter any further, you have my number, as does the rest of the world thanks to you.

Oh, and thanks for the free advertising.

Billy Houtz
Owner - President
Powerhoutz Promotions, Inc.

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

This is unbelievable!! I was just visiting YOURCTA.COM to get directions from my college to their offices but cta's website couldn't find any results for my search of 1940 Lehigh avenue. (try it out, the address will not go through)

I became a bit suspicious, so I Googled the address and guess what popped up?....This web site!

I live nowhere near Glenview but I was willing to travel for an opportunity to put my degree to good use.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THIS, WHETHER IS WAS PURE COINCIDENCE OR A SUBCONSCIOUS HUNCH, I THANK YOU ALL FOR SAVING ME TIME, MONEY, AND PROBABLY A BIT OF EMBARRASMENT WITH MY FAMILY.

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I used to work for them

AUTHOR: Scott - (U.S.A.)

I actually worked for TaylorMade Promotions but its associated with Powerhoutz. Basic same idea! Billy is a jerk and I stayed with this scam for two and a half weeks. They promised me salary and it was only comission. Worst experience of my life. Two and a half weeks there put me in debt that I'm still trying to get out of. I have saved all the info from this company and I'd love to see them go down. They are associated with Quantum and Innovage. Avoid them, too!

Katie Taylor runs TaylorMade Promotions.

Here's HER cell number:

(((ROR REDACTED PHONE NUMBER FOR SECURITY PURPOSES)))

AUTHOR: Ann - (U.S.A.)

I have also been "interviewed" by this company, to my surprise they took me and another guy somewhere in chicago to go sell books and cubs floormat in chicago. totally not what i expected. after the day's end they even have the nerve to tell me that i am "overqualified" but they'll hire my anyway. I didnt show up the next day just to go to another interview, to my surprise (again) another company, same scheme! the name is Blue Link Marketing, 820 W. evergreen chicago, this time, you sell credit card processing services. After a week of working they did not give me back the money they owe me. I have to cause a scene and threaten them that I will report them and have then shut down just to get my salary. I'm glad ripoffreport.com is here to show how these companies operate! BEWARE!