Complaint Review: Practical Car Rental, Red Robin, Frontier

• Updated: Sat, August 06, 2005

• Reported By:Westlake Village California
Practical Car Rental, Red Robin, Frontier
Crowne Plaza Hotel Stockley, Heathrow, United Kingdom United Kingdom

Practical Car Rental, Red Robin, Frontier, Other Names Daily charge for not buying their insurance Ripoff Stockley, Heathrow United Kingdom

As always, I planned to use my Platinum US credit card to cover insurances on a visit to the UK. Because of prior good pricing and vehicles, I again rented from Practical.
On check-in I showed the printout I carry of the coverage provided by Mastercard and the desk clerk agreed it more than covered the value of the vehicle. However, he insisted I still had to pay 4 pounds plus VAT for "not buying our insurance". Given that I had been traveling for 16 hours and wanted to get to where I was staying before dark, I wrote on the contract "Under duress" or similar and took the car. The clerk say the charges was "because we've had a few problems collecting from the credit card companies", but also said he would "ask his manager later". I have never been charged this way before or since at any other agency in several European cities.

The bill came through with the surcharge, adding over 25% to my original expectation. I complained to Bank of America (which 'owns' my Mastercard) that I was being charged for something I did not want and for which I received no benefit. I also felt it was a penalty for using my credit card and thus against Mastercard conditions. BofA rejected my claim.

I have also emailed the UK Office of Fair Trading, but have received no reply as yet.

I urge anyone booking a car in UK to check to see if this surcharge is expected. Practical has many trading names it seems, so watch for their name in the small print.

ex-pat Brit
Los Angeles, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/06/2005 01:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Practical-Car-Rental-Red-Robin-Frontier/Stockley-Heathrow-United-Kingdom/Practical-Car-Rental-Red-Robin-Frontier-Other-Names-Daily-charge-for-not-buying-their-i-152760. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Practical Car Rental, Red Robin, Frontier