Complaint Review: Prairie Land Towing

• Submitted: Sun, February 14, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, February 21, 2010

• Reported By: Tim — Sun Prairie Wisconsin U.S.A.
Prairie Land Towing
868 Progress Way Internet United States of America

Prairie Land Towing Towing Company Charges excessive fees for little work Internet

*Author of original report: More information

*Consumer Comment: Curious..

In December while driving in the City of Sun Prairie, I hit some slush, lost control, and the nose of my car went in the snowbank.  I was stuck.  If I had 1 or 2 people with me, we could have pushed it out, but I did not.  The back end of my car was sticking into traffic, so it had to be moved immediately.

I called Prairie Land Towing, whose office is in Sun Prairie. They arrived promptly. The driver pulled up to my car and unwrapped about 2 revolutions of a log chain he had wrapped across the rear of his tow truck. He crawled underneath the front of my car, attached the chain, got in his truck, pulled ahead about 20 feet and I was out of the snowbank. From the time he arrived until I was out of the snow was less than 2 minutes.

After the driver replaced the chain on his truck, he walked over to me with a clipboard and stated, "That will be $175.  Cash or credit card. If you dont have either, I will have to tow your car back to our shop."

I was able to take care of the bill right there, however I think for their short drive and minimal time, $175 is outrageous. I know it costs to get the truck there, pay the drivers, ect, but that it way too much money.

I called the owner a few days later.  He was quite defensive and even sarcastic about my concerns. He told me they pay their drivers well, they probably make more than I do, and that they have the best equipment, and all that costs money. He also told me that while my perception was that what the driver did was simple, the driver is actually a highly trained and skilled person, and things aren't as easy as they look.  Come on folks. Hooking a chain end to the front of a car and driving forward requires high skill and training?  It's not like the car was teetering on the edge of a bridge or something.

I would NEVER recommend this tow company and have relayed my story to everyone I know in the Sun Prairie area.  I know they have lost business because of my experience and they should.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2010 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Prairie-Land-Towing/internet/Prairie-Land-Towing-Towing-Company-Charges-excessive-fees-for-little-work-Internet-569425. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Prairie Land Towing

More information

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

For those who are questioning this senario, my car was sticking partially out into the road. A deputy sheriff who came along stopped and told me I needed to move it ASAP. There was no time to call around, or question what it was going to cost, call someone else, ect.

I called 2 other tow companies from the area the following days and neither told me it would have been over $100.  That amount I could live with and I think is more reasonable. For those who think my criticism is unwarranted, had you been in my situation and see the little effort and time it took, costing $175, I would bet you would have a different response.

Curious..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Did you ask BEFORE you had them do this what the cost would be?

Do you know the cost of all of the overhead they have?  Or do you think that they don't have any costs except for the tow truck driver that you don't think takes any skill or training?

What do you think a fair price would have been?