Complaint Review: Precision MMA

• Submitted: Tue, July 05, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, December 15, 2012

• Reported By: kyuuei — Houston Texas United States of America
Precision MMA
18071 WEST LITTLE YORK, KATY, TX 77449 Katy, Houston, Texas United States of America

Precision MMA Precision MMA Houston, Precision MMA Katy, http://precisionmma.com/, MMA in Houston, BJJ in Houston, Kickboxing in Houston NOT Military friendly, Cold calculated business, In it for money, Shady contract signing Katy, Houston, Texas

*UPDATE Employee: Change of Management for Precision Martial Arts Katy

*Author of original report: Lots of flashy words, but nothing to explain the meat of the argument.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Precision Martial Arts MMA in Katy / BJJ in Katy / Kickboxing in Katy is a Great Place to Train

Summary: This MMA gym is not a military-friendly establishment, they are in it for the money first and foremost, and they put no common sense or human elements into their business.

I knew I was getting deployed, and I knew things are unstable during deployments. I told them this, and asked if there would be any issues with it, and the guy assured me there was none, but that they can only sign people up for a minimum of 6 months so we'd do things that way.

I paid $120 down, and $120 for the first month and then I got news.

I got promoted and that means I don't get a choice: I have to go do training I wasn't planning for. When I informed them of this, they said I'd have to pay 1/3 of the remaining contract to breach it. LA Fitness, T-mobile, and another small gym I was a part of never gave me any trouble over it, and were understanding that I don't choose to go.. but this place treated it as if I were being an irresponsible adult that didn't want to fulfill my obligations.

They said over the phone, "Well, you had a choice not to join with us, and we didn't force you to sign.." .. They did one worse: they made it seem like it was such a friendly and caring place so I'd at least have a chance. I had a kid that didn't really know what he was doing sign me up at the place, and this guy saying he said all this stuff to me that he didn't say or make clear. I know people have to pay to break their contracts all the time for whatever reason, but usually people waive this fee for military obligations.

He then proceeded to say, "You should do the adult thing and fulfill your contract obligations. And if you weren't sure, you shouldn't have signed up with us at all." To tell a military person they shouldn't even be given a chance to live like a civilian is just wrong. I told them that the math just doesn't add up from a common sense stand point: In the end, I went to 4 classes with them.. not enough to learn anything. And I'll have paid $400 for those four classes because of the early termination contract fee. But he just didn't care. The contract, and the money, were all he cared about.

While I think they are a legitimate business, they do NOT care about the person they're signing on, they are not military friendly, and they're too cold hearted for a small gym--small gyms pride themselves on having loyal, friendly family-like atmospheres.

This place is just in it for the money. Do NOT sign up here.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/05/2011 11:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Precision-MMA/Katy-Houston-Texas-77449/Precision-MMA-Precision-MMA-Houston-Precision-MMA-Katy-httpprecisionmmacom-MMA-in-749264. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Precision MMA

Change of Management for Precision Martial Arts Katy

AUTHOR: Coach Mitchell - (United States of America)

I want to update any readers on the gym located at 18071 West Little York Rd, Katy TX 77449.

This gym is under new management, the coach and owner mentioned in this complaint has relocated his gym and I have taken over this location.

The name of the gym is still "Precision" and we are affiliated with the prior gym which has relocated, but the management has changed.

The staff of this location has nothing to do with the complaint and is no way involved with the issue.

Lots of flashy words, but nothing to explain the meat of the argument.

AUTHOR: kyuuei - (United States of America)

I never claimed the business did not sponsor people, or that they were a fake business, but people have a right to know who's military friendly or not.

"We do not recommend that anyone join if they are not going to be in the area for this amount of time."

The fact that:
1. The person that issued the contract out was not the owner/person speaking on the phone means that the owner has no idea what was said one way or the other during contract signing.
2. If the owner was there, he would have known that it was made very clear that: a) The client made it clear she was NOT a stable client and that something could easily change, and b) that the words "I SHOULD be here all 6 months, but I can't be sure" said to the person issuing the contract SHOULD have been a dead give-away the client should probably not have signed the contract, and should have been referred to the owner. Instead, the employee that issued the contract assured the client there wouldn't be much issue one way or another.
I don't know why any client would ask "if there'd be issues" unless they were referring to needing to leave early for the situation they already made the employee aware of, so it isn't like anything was misconstrued.  The employee made it seem like there'd be no trouble, and military people are familiar with having to cancel contracts so when someone says there is no problem, they take their word for it because MANY Companies have no problem waiving fees and conditions for military personnel.

"That being said, unforeseen circumstances do arise (like relocation) and for this reason we have an early termination clause that each customer is given in writing and signs as part of the agreement. The early termination clause saves the member a huge sum when compared to the remaining balance on the agreement as is designed to be a compromise between the member and the establishment who have legal contract for services."

Many businesses like T-mobile, gyms, and apartment complexes have contracts that last well over 6 months, and they also have early termination fees. I already mentioned this was offered, BUT until you can answer why this fee is applied to military personnel as well (Since they don't get a choice in whether they leave or not.. it isn't taking a new job, or moving somewhere nicer, THEY DONT GET A CHOICE because they.. ya know. Fight for our country and all.) instead of being waived I'm still going to say ya'll are NOT military friendly. If a year's worth of leasing on a RESIDENCE can be terminated without fees or penalties for deploying troops, if a huge business like At&t and T-mobile can waive contracts and terminate them without fees or penalties for military personnel, than there is NO reason why this business shouldn't conduct themselves with the same courtesy and understanding.

Your only reply to that is:
"We do, however, expect people to honor the terms of their agreements once the have joined regardless of their profession."

Cold. Calculated. Business. Nothing more. You can claim all day how you sponsor this, or have that, but at the end of the day, having military people in your gym does NOT make you military friendly. The paperwork shows otherwise. Everyone has contracts, and the client only got charged for BEING FORCED To cancel one: Yours. It speaks volumes over anything else.

As for the gratitude, it is tongue-in-cheek. The client doesn't get a choice in leaving, so it doesn't really matter if the company released the client or not: they'd be arrested for abandoning the mission during a time of war if they didn't leave.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Precision MMA - (USA)

The person posting this remark is not actually the member who joined or even stepped one foot in our facility, but a relative of the person involved. I say this with confidence because she was on the phone today with us discussing this situation.

All members are given a free consultation and private lesson before joining. During this time we discuss their living / work arrangements to make sure they will be in the area as we only offer 6 month and 12 month term agreements. We do not recommend that anyone join if they are not going to be in the area for this amount of time. We have turned away many potential customers from joining for this reason and do not pressure people to join if they are uncomfortable with this arrangement, That being said, unforeseen circumstances do arise (like relocation) and for this reason we have an early termination clause that each customer is given in writing and signs as part of the agreement. The early termination clause saves the member a huge sum when compared to the remaining balance on the agreement as is designed to be a compromise between the member and the establishment who have legal contract for services.

As for only attending 4 lessons all I can say is that we have no control over this. If you were to rent a Porshe from a rental car company and chose to park it in your garage rather than drive it, would that be the fault of the rental car company or the fault of the renter for not taking advantage of a great opportunity?

When the real person (not the person writing this post) called and was explained the cancellation terms she was actually happy and expressed gratitude for working with her to be released from the agreement. She was also offered a 1 month credit to be used in the future when she returns home for leave, etc.

At the moment our school sponsors over 10 members who train for free due to financial hardships. This is not because we are only out to gouge people for money. We have a long list of testimonials from our members who feel that our school is a great place to train and has been a great investment in themselves and their families. We also have a large percentage of our adult programs who have served in the armed forces and law enforcement along with many other professions. We are not prejudiced against military personnel and that accusation is just silly. We do, however, expect people to honor the terms of their agreements once the have joined regardless of their profession.

To See some of our testimonials for yourself please follow this link and click on the TESTIMONIALS page to hear what our members say about our program:

While you are there you can register for a free trial to come by and see for yourself how great our program is and what it can do for you.