Complaint Review: Precision Overhead Garage Door Service

• Updated: Tue, November 23, 2010

• Reported By: Precision Overhead Door Sucks — Framingham Massachusetts USA
Precision Overhead Garage Door Service
630 Silver Street Unit 2A Agawam, Massachusetts United States of America

Precision Overhead Garage Door Service Compete Ripoff, You were WARNED Agawam, Massachusetts

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Don't Believe Everything You Read -- Some People Can Not Be Pleased And Are Not Totally Truthful!

Experienced a broken spring on a garage door and called several companies in the yellow pages that all seemed to serve my local area in Metrowest Massachusetts.  Precision Door called back first and was willing to come out that day, Saturday with no weekend surcharge.  Gary showed up and told me that he was going to perform a 25 point safety inspection on both of my doors, although only one door was broken.

The doors are 50 years old and solid wood, never had an issue with them other than the broken spring which do wear over time.  The automatic openers are 20+ years old and in excellent working condition.  He tells me both doors have failed almost every test and need to be overhauled.  He writes up a quote for $1,330 for labor and to replace 4 springs, 8 pulleys, 20 rollers, and 2 sets of safety cables.  He has another "overhaul option" that includes the above work but with a 5 year warranty versus the standard 90 days, this totals $1,462.  Mind you, this isn't replacing the actual garage doors, just an "overhaul".  Complete replacement of both doors would have been cheaper.

In the end, foolishly, I agree to $630 to replace 4 springs and one set of safety cables with a 90 day warranty.  I reluctantly did this as I told him this all seemed very high and asked if this was standard industry pricing.  He said it was a bit more but Precision used higher quality parts which last 2-5 years and they have a 5 year warranty.  However, the 5 year warranty only applies if you go with the "overhaul" which was $1,462.

Meanwhile, if I choose to do nothing, he is going to charge me $69 for a service fee and $100 for the inspection/work he has done as a cancellation fee.  I would be out $169 and still have to call someone else to pay them who knows what to fix the door.  Something was clearly not right so I get other return calls from other local guys that will charge more closer to $200 including saturday overtime.  I then go out to the garage and confront him with this information and he says that I already explained we have higher quality springs and offer the 5 year warranty, which I was not being given.  Either way, how can Precision charge $378 for a pair of springs and others charge $55.

I really got screwed and there are many complaints about this company all over the internet.  I have reported them to the Attorney General's Office in Massachusetts and we will see what happens

STAY AWAY FROM PRECISION OVERHEAD DOOR.  If they are on your property, pay the service fee and be done with them, you will be better off than me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/25/2009 07:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Precision-Overhead-Garage-Door-Service/Agawam-Massachusetts-01001/Precision-Overhead-Garage-Door-Service-Compete-Ripoff-You-were-WARNED-Agawam-Massachuse-514733. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Precision Overhead Garage Door Service

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Walt - (USA)

As the owner of the Massachusetts & Connecticut Precision Door Franchises, I take every customer complaint seriously.  My business can only succeed if it addresses the hard issues upfront and in a way that projects complete integrity and transparency.

I really must share my astonishment and dismay over this posting.  The person who posted this comment did in fact contact me and we discussed his complaint.  I tried to resolve this situation, and eventually we did come to an agreement on how to resolve this issue.

First, the customer complained to everybody he thought would listen (the better business bureau, the state attorney general, etc.), however, in every instance I responded with my side of the story; and, in every circumstance, the organization he complained to sided with me.

What the customer failed to mention in his complaint was that he actually mistreated my employee (he yelled and screamed at him and called him names), he also misrepresented our pricing and our warranty, and he misrepresented what we were going to charge him when he said he no longer wanted us to do the work.  I guess I shouldnt be shocked at how this customer spoke about us as he threatened to take this issue to the Boston Globe (because he said he worked there) and they would do a story on us and run our name through the mud.

Although the internet provides a very important voice to everybody, I do hope that the readers of this complaint and rebuttal understand is that not all customers can be made happy... no matter what the company does to try to resolve issues.  This customer is simply one of those people.  Im sure if we look hard enough we can find similar posting from this customer for many other issues and many other companies!

I hope that people who read this posting visit us on our web site (www.newenglandgaragedoors.com) and read customer reviews, look at what services we offer, and give us a chance.  There is a real reason why we have served more than 40,000 customers over the past 12 year and have such a high customer referral rate (25% of our business comes from referrals), a high repeat customer rate (about 10% of our business comes from prior customers), and have so few complaints (complement related phone calls out number complaint related phone calls by nearly 8 to 1) and people generally tend to complain more than they give praise.

At Precision Door we only use the best parts we can find.  We provide integrity in our pricing (meaning all technicians use the same price book).  We provide the best warranty in the business. And, our technicians have a large portion of their pay based on customer reviews.  Thats why we are a name you can trust!