Complaint Review: Precision Tune

Precision Tune
1162 Lake Murray Blvd. Irmo, South Carolina United States of America

Precision Tune Canister Filter Scam Irmo, South Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Sales driven repair shops

*Author of original report: The truth is the truth - toy with it if you want.

*Consumer Comment: how much ?

*Author of original report: False Advertising

*Consumer Comment: reading the fine print

*Consumer Comment: Read The Fine Print

*Consumer Comment: Discount advice

*General Comment: DISCOUNT SERVICE

I have a Pontiac Grand Am with a 'canister filter'.  Grand Ams have been in production since 1973.  Went to my local Precision Tune for their advertised $14 oil change.  Was told that I had a canister filter and they would have to charge me $35 for an oil change because of my 'canister filter'.  Researched the internet and found canister filters for my car at a reasonable price.  Approached the same Precision Tune and offered to bring in my own oil filter for the oil change, was informed that my price for the $14 oil change would be about $3.00 less if I brought my own filter in.  Why is Precision Tune advertising a $14 oil change that is $30+ dollars, even if you bring in your own parts?  They want you to purchase other things like wheel balances, brake jobs, and assorted repairs.  If you do not purchase these services, they will not give you the $14 oil change.  This is not as advertised.  Precision Tune is running a classic bait-and-switch scheme.  They want you in the store for the oil change, but if you do not purchase any more services beyond this, they want you to go away.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/24/2012 08:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Precision-Tune/Irmo-South-Carolina-29063/Precision-Tune-Canister-Filter-Scam-Irmo-South-Carolina-902287. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Precision Tune

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Sales driven repair shops

AUTHOR: Typhon - ()

Precision tune's bussiness model works all on a precentages structure. Many of these "Shop-in-a-box" set ups work like this, not just Pecision Tune. If you pay $100 at the counter, the part better not have cost the shop more than 18 of those dollars or the store manager will have to "make it up on the next one." The store level employees share the financial burden of the company with every coupon. The low store level pay is a large cause of the dicey quality that comes out of these places.

This type of bussiness structor is, IMO, the most damaging form to use in automotive repair. It is the use of THIS overall business structure that needs to dissapear from this industry, where peoples' lives can hang in the balance.

The truth is the truth - toy with it if you want.

AUTHOR: therainmaker - (United States of America)

I didn't say I had a $35 oil change coupon - I only wanted a standard oil change and also happened to have a coupon for a few dollars off (which I didn't attempt to redeem until I was charged an unreasonable price for service).  The store marquee advertised a $14 oil change, aside from any coupon (I was not allowed to purchase a $14 oil change, and the shop literally claimed the reason for this was the expense of the canister filter).  To this day you can find canister filters in auto part stores for well under $10.  So the total cost should still have been under $20 if I am bringing this so-called expensive part in which the shop is claiming to be so valuable and rare.  I bought my own canister filter and oil, and did my own oil change.  It wasn't difficult - the amazing ultra-rare super-difficult year 2020 canister filter you refer to was just a simple screw-on part, and was the least of my worries.  I'll take my business elsewhere for tire rotations, wheel balances, and any other assorted things that Precision Tune would otherwise have offered.

how much ?

AUTHOR: Kwtrucks - (USA)

you said you went in with a $35 oil change coupon..so if you had a coupon for that amount , then thats why it costs $30 + dollars !

Just because you saw it online for a reasonable price ( which you dont give for some reason) You would have to wait to order and ship, or find a local store that had it in stock. Or you could pay a markup fee usually 15-20% to them as they have it in stock, ready to be put on

False Advertising

AUTHOR: therainmaker - (United States of America)

Let's not play games with the truth.  I completely understand that Precision Tune is a business, they want to make a profit.  I was a customer of Precision Tune who occasionally purchased services outside of an oil change.  Precision Tune decided not to honor its advertised oil change price if I only chose to purchase an oil change.  How is this okay?  For God's sake, the $35 I mentioned was with a coupon.  They wanted to charge me $40 plus without it.  And like I said, I was even willing to bring in my own 'canister filter'.  You're right kid, I should just change my own oil.  God only knows what kind of poor workmanship I'm paying for if I choose to frequent Precision Tune on Lake Murray Boulevard, or any of their other corporate money pits.

reading the fine print

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

no where and I mean no where does it say team rebutt must insult people
 must rebutt must rebutt must rebutt must rebutt
 regular meeting for rebutter anonymous is same time as last week BE THERE you need help

Read The Fine Print

AUTHOR: SUCKA! - (USA)

Read the fine print.  I highly doubt a cartridge style oil filter was included in the $14 oil change.  Cartridge filters cost more, they entail special removal of the cap without stripping it, and they consume more time than a spin-on filter.  Read the fine print before you go throwing a stupid and unfounded complaint over a a $14 oil change.  If youre shopping for a cheap $14 oil change and complaining about it, I can only presume you are one of those who expect the world to be handed to them for nothing.  Buy your own d**n oil and filter and replace it yourself for $14.

Discount advice

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

It's what you get from Team Rebutt

#8 General Comment

DISCOUNT SERVICE

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

So just to be clear:

The idea is to get your car in and look at it so they can find something profitable to repair.

The mechanic does not get paid for doing your oil change.

The extra part is more expensive than the cheapo filter they have figured into the service and since the idea is to find extra stuff to repair, they want to sell you the part and get the mark up on the part, it has gotten to the point that we ( A unrelated Dealership in Canada) no longer install Customer supplied parts, this is because the is no profit in the labour portion of the bill.

Finally these special discount places generally pay the mechanic per repair and a commission on what he finds top repair on your car. So a great way to have the repair center abuse your trust and have an unscrupulous mechanic and service writer to sell you lots of un-needed repairs.

Please do not fall for these discount service offers, if they are not charging what it costs to do the service, then they are trying to sell you extra service and use a busness model designed to take advantage of you.