Complaint Review: Prestige Financial

• Submitted: Thu, February 14, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, October 13, 2008

• Reported By:Little Elm Texas
Prestige Financial
1414 South 500 West Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.

Prestige Financial fraud, violation FDCPA, rude, repo truck that is current Salt Lake City Utah

*Consumer Comment: Not Quite...

*Consumer Comment: Violation of laws

Prestige Financial repossessed my truck stating that they did not like mine or my husband's attitude. We were eight days late. We have an excellent pay history for 12 months. One day after the truck was repo'd I received a call from Shara wanting to know if we wanted the truck back and we would need to pay a certain amount and would be able to get the truck back.

I contacted her the next day made payment arrangements for the money to be taken out of my account. She then transferred me to the alleged Vice President Heilala Hopate and I was informed that she is not giving back the truck because she did not like mine or my husband's attititude. She stated that the conversation was hers and I had better listen. I told her that I was lied to by her account rep that I would get the truck back. She stated no she was not giving the truck back and in this economy it would be hard for me to get financing for another vehicle.

Prior to the vehicle being repossessed we were harassessed, threats of intimidation used. Prestige Financial violated Fair Debt Collection Practices Act by making six contacts in one day, etc.

Tania
Little Elm, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2008 06:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Prestige-Financial/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-84115-5149/Prestige-Financial-fraud-violation-FDCPA-rude-repo-truck-that-is-current-Salt-Lake-City-308999. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Prestige Financial

Not Quite...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

First the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act(FDCPA) only covers 3rd Party Collection Agencies NOT original creditors. From your description this company is the original creditor.

Second your title states your car was current. You were not current you were 8 days late. Yes that is almost nothing and it is bad that they did it after 8 days, but it was most likey legal.

Now there are specific steps that a lender must do when the Repo a car, these vary by state. If they do not follow every step as required they could be held liable for damages. These requirements could be things such as sending you a legal notice in the mail(could be after the fact). Giving you a period of time to either "cure" or "redeem" the loan. You may want to consult an attorney in your area to see if there is anything they did wrong.

Violation of laws

AUTHOR: Mtenney - (U.S.A.)

Most states have a law that you have 30 days to get your vehicle back, after paying the fees. Prestige cannot do anything about the law.

By law the cannot do anything with a repo vehicle until after 30 days........not even sell it or collect on it, except if you want the vehicle back!

Read the laws and get familiar with what YOU know is true, and use it against them. I have done it many times and they back off..