Complaint Review: Prestigia

• Updated: Wed, October 24, 2012

• Reported By: jayme smith — houston Texas United States of America
151 bis rue de rennes Internet United States of America

*Consumer Comment: Be aware of exchange rates used

*UPDATE Employee: Response to : Prestigia THE COSTS DISPLAYED ARE NOT WHAT THEY ARE! Internet

I had the same experience with my credit card. The response from Prestigia to the other complaint is NOT TRUE!  My credit card was charged the same day and was 12% more then what was quoted. They post a lower rate than any other companies but in actuality they are MORE.  Use booking.com or another reputable company....NOT PRESTIGIA!!! Save yourself lots of trouble.  Amazing they do this to customers and have not been closed down.

I will be disputing the charge, contacted the hotel to cancel my reservation and had to cancel my credit card to stop further charges.

I have re-booked with another company and NO ISSUES on the conversion rates, interesting...huh??

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2012 11:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Prestigia/internet/Prestigia-THE-COSTS-DISPLAYED-ARE-NOT-WHAT-THEY-ARE-Internet-957938. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Prestigia

Be aware of exchange rates used

AUTHOR: Stephen H - ()

I was considering booking through Prestigia and read some reviews first. I checked their euro price against their sterling price because of the reviews I read.

Prestigia claim they use the XE rates to calculate the home currency cost. This I found to be true. However, you pay the hotel in local currency (euros) and the exchange rate you receive will be far less favourable than the XE rate quoted. You will be charged tourist rates (so in my example the rate Prestigia used was 1.19 euros to the pound (XE rate), actual rate I could buy euros at was 1.12 (tourist rate). This makes the amount of money that would need to be paid significantly higher than the rate quoted by Prestigia in my currency.

Even so the rate Prestigia quoted for the room was not bad - what would have upset me though is being misled into believing that the rate they quoted in my currency was the one I paid. Clearly they do this to appear cheaper than other booking sites (when I used tourist rates Prestigia was the same price as about 4 other booking sites.)

Conclusion - not bad rates but raise expectations in customers of a cheaper rate than they will actually pay. Don't like that approach so went with one of the other sites.

Response to : Prestigia THE COSTS DISPLAYED ARE NOT WHAT THEY ARE! Internet

AUTHOR: Prestigia.com team - (United States of America)

Dear Jayme Smith,

Thank you for taking the time to give your point of view about our service.

As mentionned on the payment page, next to the conditions you agreed on before completing your booking, AND on the booking confirmation you have received, we charge the guarantee deposit in euros for your stay in Paris. If the amount is higher than the one indicated on your booking confirmation, please contact your bank for any possible additionnal fees.

The amount in USD is provided only as a reference and calculated according to the current exchange rate at the time of

You have sent an email to our customer service at the same time of publishing this review, they are already in touch with you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Your Prestigia.com team.