Complaint Review: Priceline Priceline.com

• Updated: Fri, June 25, 2010

• Reported By: Hopskotch — Internet USA
Priceline Priceline.com
http://priceline.com Internet United States of America

Priceline Priceline.com Priceline travel insurance (AIG / Mercury USA) worthless - they demand your entire medical history for a small claim. Internet

*Consumer Comment: how about a dog in "hospice?" eek!@

Booked a one-night hotel stay on Priceline and bought the travel insurance. Grand total: $79. Got sick and had to cancel the trip. Got a letter from my doctor's office and contacted the insurance company (AIG) through the claims contact info on Priceline. The claim was handled by Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin. They sent me a claim form that demanded, among other things, that I authorize them to access my entire medical history: past, present, and future. The exact language:

"I authorize disclosure of my medical records and all other records relating to my past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition; health care I receive; the past, present, or future payment for my health care; and any related diagnosis, treatment, or prognosis. This authorization also includes information on the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness and the use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco, but excludes 'psychotherapy notes' as those are defined in HIPAA."

Hmm, Priceline didn't mention I'd have to disclose this when I bought the policy! (Just doublechecked their FAQ; still can't find it.) In any case, seems to be kind of a ridiculous invasion of privacy.

Submitted the claim anyway, with a letter explaining my refusal to provide that authorization - and cc'ed Priceline customer service. So far I've gotten nothing but the runaround from both Priceline and Mercury.

Since my medical history (past, present, and future) is worth more than $80 to me, I guess I'll have to eat the money. I have a feeling AIG / Mercury planned it that way.
Though they're the real ripoff artists here, Priceline is the one selling the ripoff policies, so they're equally responsible.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2009 11:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Priceline-Pricelinecom/internet/Priceline-Pricelinecom-Priceline-travel-insurance-AIG-Mercury-USA-worthless-they-500199. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Priceline Priceline.com

how about a dog in "hospice?" eek!@

AUTHOR: Silvergirl - (U.S.A.)

oh boy. And here I have the travel insurance and I am pretty sure it didn't say all that! I had called and they are looking for death or natural disaster. Almost had one with all the tornados this week. ANYWAY, I mistakenly assumed it allowed me to cancel for whatever reason-but it also never listed the true reasons. Well back in April I didn't think my pup would be around anymore boohoo. This was a trip to travel and mourn him properly. Scatter some ashes etc. He has congestive heart failure. But he is still kicking but recently has been needing furosemide/Lasix every 6 hours. There is no way I can leave him. People could say board him, but again, pills every six hours. There is no one there at night at a vet to do this. I cannot leave him with friends since their dogs - even if they have just a sniffle could really make my Donald sick and do him in. Well i am not leaving my dog. Considered renting a travel trailer with AC to keep him in and pull that sucker up to the hotel and park her outside, sleep in it, mess up (NOT trash) the room, use the pool and generally make myself at home...but that would cost a lot more that what i am already out. I suppose they won't take a note from a Vet but I could try. HECK it is my insurance. I have no kids. This IS my baby.