Complaint Review: Priceline.com

• Updated: Fri, October 19, 2012

• Reported By: Brian — Boston Massachusetts United States of America
Priceline.com
800 Connecticut Avenue Norwalk, Connecticut United States of America

Priceline.com Beware of Intentionally Misleading Hotel Rankings - You Can Get A Bad Hotel at Higher than Market Rate! Norwalk, Connecticut

Needed to stay in Downtown Miami for two nights, but most hotels were booked and the only hotel in the area was the Spring Hill Suites which was available for $169 - not horrible but in a bad location.  Spring Hill Suites is listed as an example of a 2.5 star hotel in Price Line's brief explanation of how they classify the hotels.  I wanted to stay in a hotel better than this one, so I went with $197 for 3 star hotel, knowing that the Spring Hill Suites was the next class down and thinking I was safe there.

Of course, Price line came back and gave me the one hotel I did not want, the Spring Hill Suites for the $197 price - $30 more per night than what I would pay at the one hotel I did not want to stay in.  I believe that by listing Spring Hill Suites as an example of a 2.5 star hotel, it is unfair to then give this hotel to someone that had a minimum star level of 3 in their request.  I immediately called Price Line to let them know that I was mislead and did not want to book this hotel which is below the class of hotel I agreed to purchase.  The customer service agent said that the list of hotels by star class is only a guideline and that Spring Hill Suites in the 2.5 Star class did not mean that all Spring Hill Suites are considered 2.5 Stars by Priceline.  I believe this is intentionally misleading.  She said all purchases are final and I would be charged the full $450 even if I did not use the hotel room at all.  I asked if I could cancel and pay some penalty smaller than the full cost of the room for two nights and she said I could not (employee #560294).  So I am out the $450 and Price Line can sell the room again if they want.

I believe that by listing the hotel brands as examples and then not following this - is intentionally misleading in order to sell lower end brands at higher end prices.  In this example, I was charged more than the market rate (only $30 per night) but I also was given the one hotel I did not want.

The company does not care at all and you will be charged full price for whatever hotel they give you and you will have no recourse - so Beware of Priceline and if for some reason you feel like trying your luck - be fully aware the hotels listed under star levels are there to mislead you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/19/2012 01:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pricelinecom/Norwalk-Connecticut-06854/Pricelinecom-Beware-of-Intentionally-Misleading-Hotel-Rankings-You-Can-Get-A-Bad-Hotel-957268. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Priceline.com