Complaint Review: "Privacy Matters" ID And Credit Reporting Company

• Updated: Sat, January 31, 2009

• Reported By:Boynton Beach Florida
"Privacy Matters" ID And Credit Reporting Company
privacymattersidentity.com Nationwide U.S.A.

"Privacy Matters" ID And Credit Reporting Company Internet credit scores made available Nationwide

*Author of original report: Privacy Matters

I applied online for my credit scores at the three reporting agencies. Yes, the company (Privacy Matters) did supply this information as agreed. However, they advertised there was no cost for this service but went ahead and charged me $29.95 anyhow. I had immediately canceled the account as required for the no fee deal. I even telephoned them to make sure there weren't any extras I may have missed and to make sure nothing would get charged to my account. I was assured nothing would be. They sent me an email asserting I had correctly canceled also.

Their email dated January 16, 2009:
"Dear (my name),
This email confirms that your membership in Privacy Matters Identity has been cancelled per your membership terms. Your cancellation confirmation number is (number omitted for security reasons by me). You do not need to do anything else to cancel your membership.
We thank you for your interest in Privacy Matters Identity, and we hope your membership experience was a positive one.
If you have any comments or suggestions that might help us better serve our members, please feel free to email us at membersavings@privacymattersidentity.com.
Sincerely,
Privacy Matters Identity
Member Savings"
After all this they have now (January 27, 2009) charged my bank account anyhow! Obviously their idea of FREE is different from mine! Fortunately my bank account isn't low otherwise I could have also incurred an overdraw charge of $34.00 which I am sure would have taken "forever" to get back.

Garyg
Boynton Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2009 09:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Privacy-Matters-ID-And-Credit-Reporting-Company/nationwide/Privacy-Matters-ID-And-Credit-Reporting-Company-Internet-credit-scores-made-available-Na-416705. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on "Privacy Matters" ID And Credit Reporting Company

AUTHOR: Garyg - (U.S.A.)

They finally did re-deposit the money. We exchanged 5 emails and it took 14 days however. Better than nothing, but still a scam, since there should have been no charges in the first place.

Here's the deal - the way I see it.

They run advertisements online and people like me sign up for the "free" reports. They bill us the $29.95 and sit back. Some probably never even notice. Others notice right away, like I did, and start asking for the money back. Many fall someplace in between and I think a few probably even let them take the money for the services offered - even though thirty dollars a month for three credit reports is steep to say the least.

One way or another they are all taken advantage of, but the category that bothers me most is that of people like myself, who have our money taken and kept for two weeks in spite of the fact we canceled immediately after signing up. Multiply that times (perhaps) many thousands of victims, err . . . customers, and you have a pretty large chunk of cash to invest while you simply refund people's money in drips and dribbles over that two weeks - all the while retaining the chunk of money as your refunds never exceed the newer money coming in from the new suckers, err . . . customers.