Complaint Review: Privacy Protection Plus

• Updated: Fri, May 29, 2009

• Reported By:St. Catharines Ontario
Privacy Protection Plus
privacyplus.ca Nationwide Canada

Privacy Protection Plus By accepting a free gift after an online purchase, one is automatically signed up for a membership. Quebec Nationwide

On March 17, 2009, I made an online purchase for sunglasses. After inputting my credit card information, I was directed to a site asking if I would like to accept a free gift of a $25.00 Canadian Tire Gift Card. Of course, I said yes. I did not need to fill in any credit card info here. That was it, they thanked me and said I would be receiving my free gift in so many weeks.

On April 17, 2009, my credit card was charged with $15.95 CAD to "Privacy Protection". I called the phone number. They apologized for any misunderstanding and said they would immediately cancel my membership. When I requested my credit card be credited with the $15.95, they said I signed up for it.

This is a slimey business practice. Most likely, somewhere on the page where I was accepting my 'free gift', it listed an Agreement, which I would have agreed to. My fault that I didn't read it. It would have stated that I was signing up for a membership.

This shady practice should not be allowed. It should have been very clear on the main page that I was accepting this free gift AND by doing so, I was signing up for a membership. Buyer beware but I'm thoroughly frustrated that they can take advantage of people like this. Stick a free gift in front of them and anybody will buy in! I am sure they are not the only company doing this kind of business but if they are ever looking to change their name, try 'Piracy Plus'.

Irene
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2009 12:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Privacy-Protection-Plus/nationwide/Privacy-Protection-Plus-By-accepting-a-free-gift-after-an-online-purchase-one-is-automati-456590. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Privacy Protection Plus