Complaint Review: Professional Career Development Institute - Ashworth College

• Submitted: Tue, March 07, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, March 07, 2006

• Reported By:Lincoln Nebraska
Professional Career Development Institute - Ashworth College
430 Technology Parkway Norcross, Georgia U.S.A.

Professional Career Development Institute - Ashworth College Ripoff! misrepresented the course they sent me then demanded I pay them for it! Norcross Georgia

Ashworth College aka PCDI will not take no for an answer. This college solicited me for months through telemarketing and written material. I continually told them I was not interested at the time and then one day they caught me off guard and I agreed to try one of their computer courses. I explained in detail my experience and competency level with computers. I told the "counselor" I had never had any computer classes and would have to start at the beginning. Everything was done over the phone and I never signed anything. When the course arrived I opened it and my husband, who is a computer programmer, looked at it and said "this is a computer programming course." "There is no way in the world you could understand this!" This is far too advanced for you!" I then sent the course material back explaining that the course was misrepresented to me and I could not use it. I further explained that some things had happened where I would not be able to take a course at this time but would have to wait until later in the year to take one. They said "fine", but if you cancel you must pay $140!! I told them I never signed anything, (which someone from the school had actually told me to tell them - as though this type of thing was a common occurence)...and that the course was misrepresented to me and it was the same as ordering a Saturn and having a Ferarri delivered and then demanding I pay for it. I called my lawyer and he said because of the misrepresentation there was no way I should have to pay for a course I sent back. Well, I began receiving bills every 3-4 days (no kidding!) and my answering machine filled up with "collection" calls. I spoke with several of the people in the "collection" department and they told me "there was absolutely nothing they could do about it." I then spoke to a Supervisor and she, like the reps, was very rude and nasty and said my case had been reviewed and I would have to pay the $140 to cancel. I then called another Supervisor and left several messages and she has yet to even return my call. Finally, I wrote three letters...one to the dispute department, one to the President, and one to the Registrar. It will be interesting to see what happens from this point.

I would be extremely careful signing up with these folks. They are very high pressure, aggressive and solicitous. It appears to me they are just out for your money and have no real interest in what you want or need. My lawyer has told me if they persist I should take them to court. Of course I don't need extra hassle in my life but I will do what it takes to get them to back off. They have threatened to report to the credit bureau which is intolerable to me, due to the fact I have almost perfect credit and have worked hard the past 40 years to achieve that. If they continue to harass me I will contact the BBB of Georgia and the Attorney General and, of course, as per my lawyer's advice, I will take them to court if necessary.

Lincoln, Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/07/2006 08:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Professional-Career-Development-Institute-Ashworth-College/Norcross-Georgia-30092/Professional-Career-Development-Institute-Ashworth-College-Ripoff-misrepresented-the-co-179920. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Professional Career Development Institute - Ashworth College