Complaint Review: Professional Specialty Publications

• Updated: Wed, April 25, 2012

• Reported By: Anonymous — Charlotte North Carolina United States of America
Professional Specialty Publications
4701 Hedgemore Drive Ste 800 Charlotte, North Carolina United States of America

Professional Specialty Publications University Sports Publications, Municipal Guide Publishing, Hospital Guide Publishing, Military Guide Publishing, School District Publishing Complete Scam of a Company Charlotte, North Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: For Employee of PSP National - Clearwater FL

This company goes by several names and is completely corrupt from the core out.  The turnover rate is higher than any other company I have ever worked for (even restaurants in college).  They hired me on the spot (which they do with most people), gave me the impression that I would be selling advertising space in sports publications, which sounded great, but after training I began selling advertising space in 'online publications' that literally have absolutely no use.  Basically, you make 300 calls a day, spend about 4 hours on the phone, you're lucky if you make a sale a day and when you do you are completely ripping a company off.  They tell you that you make commission on the sales, but you have to reach $200,000 in sales first (GOOD LUCK!!) We were forced to use alias' and misrepresent ourselves constantly on a daily basis.  The companies that are called are considered 'warm leads' but once you start making the calls you quickly realize that they aren't so warm.  Did not pay me for my last week of work, messed up several times on my paychecks, absolutely the worst company I have ever wasted my time with.  Unless you are into a dead end job do not approach this company, and if you ever receive any solicitation from this company I would suggest you stay away because you are going to be ripped off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/25/2012 05:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Professional-Specialty-Publications/Charlotte-North-Carolina-/Professional-Specialty-Publications-University-Sports-Publications-Municipal-Guide-Publis-873450. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Professional Specialty Publications

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

For Employee of PSP National - Clearwater FL

AUTHOR: Justin - ()

Hello,

I actually worked for PSP National's Clearwater FL office for 11 months. Yes, the turnover rate is high, but only if you are not producing.

We were tasked with selling advertising in Event Programs. For example: PGA Championship, Ryder Cup, NBA Finals, MLB Home Run Derby, World Series, Stanley Cup, and the Superbowl just to name a few. Ad packages varied in price, but generally cost between $12,000 (PGA events) and $98,000 (Superbowl). Pricing was actually negotiable and decreased as we got closer to the publication deadline. These packages included at least 2 tickets to the event in conjunction with the Advertising sold as well.

When I accepted employment I started with a $400 a week draw. Commission was paid out at 20% of the total package sold. I made 40+ phone calls per day. After 6 months of employment, I had sold several ad packages to PETA, Unilever's Degree Deodorant, and Century 21 to name a few. With these sales, I was paid commissions above and beyond my draw. At that time, I asked for a higher weekly draw, and was increased to $700 per week based on my success up to that point.

I sold a few more Ad packages the next few months but was operating in the red against my draw. After 4 months of not producing a positive Sales Net I was terminated. I was upset at the time, because I was positioned to close a few sales in the coming weeks but looking back I know that from a business perspective it was the correct move.

One of my fellow employees landed a large account that ended up doing over $1million in ad spend to almost every publication we offered. He was paid the 20%, but couldn't sell wrench to a plumber and was fired 6 months later from lack of productivity.

Moral of this story: The company is very cut and dry... If you perform, you stay and you make good money. If you don't perform, you get kicked to the curb. It definitely takes a saavy sales person and may not be the right fit for everyone.

If you are looking for your first job in sales, additional experience on your resume, or have that Hunter mentality than this is a great opportunity for you.