Complaint Review: Progress Energy Florida

• Submitted: Wed, August 22, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, August 22, 2007

• Reported By:Lake Mary Florida
Progress Energy Florida
PO Box 33199, St. Petersburg, Florida U.S.A.

Progress Energy Florida Power shut off one month after signing up for Automatic Bill Pay St. Petersburg Florida

Given that I make over $100,000 per year, you'd think I could pay my bills on time and not be charged late fees, but Progress Energy Florida cares too much about those fees to let people off that easily.

Tired of $5 late fees and $5.95 payment fees and $40 reconnection fees, I finally signed up for Automatic Bill Pay on July 26. I thought my worries were finally over.

I am currently travelling on business for 2 weeks and my house sitter just informed me that my power was shut off. I made my last payment July 26.

I called and was told by Adriana that because I was 9 days late I was shut off. I reminded her that I did not get any statement but she said I had signed up for eBill (no paper statements). I asked why I didn't get a shutoff warning or late warning and she said they do not send those electronically (only paper warnings).

I reminded her that I had signed up for Electronic Bill Pay and she said that takes 30 days to be effective.

So it all added up to a $5 late fee, a $5.95 payment by phone fee and a $40 reconnection fee.

To top it all off, they are holding a $125 deposit they've had for 3 years now.

I thought monopolies were illegal in the US but I have no choice of power companies and it's no mystery why they do everything they can to charge fees.

Furthermore, when I complained to her Adriana (who refused to give her last name) that she would not argue with "some older man". I asked how she knew my age and she said she just assumed I was older (I am only 37).

Neil
Lake Mary, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2007 09:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progress-Energy-Florida/St-Petersburg-Florida-33733/Progress-Energy-Florida-Power-shut-off-one-month-after-signing-up-for-Automatic-Bill-Pay-S-269380. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progress Energy Florida