Complaint Review: Progress Energy

• Submitted: Sat, September 11, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, August 18, 2007

• Reported By:ny New York
Progress Energy
P.O. Box 33199 St. Petersburg, Florida U.S.A.

Progress Energy ripoff--- charging a connection fee and there was no service St. Petersburg Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Relax there is help

*Author of original report: said they have issued a credit

I received a bill for electric service that was never received. I called customer service, they said I had service at that address. I explained my self ( just as below) and the rep said "mem you have to pay the bill" she didn't want to hear what I had to say , she says " you have to listen, you had service from 8-31-04 to 9-02-04".
I asked her , do you see where the tenant called and requested service to be turned on in their name on 9-1-04. she said yes, and the service was turned on 9-2-04 in their name.

I asked do you see where i called in on 9-01-04 and s/w a rep. (man) and he assured me that service was never turned on in my name, she said that I requested service on 8-31-04 and service was turned on in my name. I then said your policy is you need 24hrs notice for service to be turned on or off. she said you had service and you have to pay the bill and the bill is due on and she mention the date...

they wouldn't help me. Please can anyone give some advice.

Help!
I live in NY and has a rental propery in Orlando, FL. I called Progress Energy on 8-31-04 to turn electric service on in my name at the property (I needed to make sure all is working because the power line was down, due to a tree falling on it.). I was told by the rep. to turn service on, they need a day's notice. With Hurrican Charlie, they don't know if they will get to it on 9-1-04, but he will put the request in.

A gentle man and his wife came by on 9-01-04 looked at the property, said they wanted to rent as of today 9-01-04. (There was no power) Tenants called Progress Energy and asked for service to be turned on in their name on 9-1-04.

I called Progress Energy (from NY )the same day(9-01-04) and asked if power was turned on in my name, the rep. said, they didn't get to that address as yet, the service wasn't turned on as yet. The service will be turned on, on the 2nd. I said I don't need the service to be in my name because the tenant called and gave you his info, to turn on in his name and I mention tenants name.

The rep. says yes, and mentioned the tenant's name.
the service will be turned on in the tenant's name as of 9-2-04. I asked was it ever turned on in my name? he replied No mem.
I asked, am I going to be billed for anything, he said, "No, because service was never turned on at that address".
"Mem, service is being turned on, in the tenants name, on 9-2-04"..

I wouldn't have a problem paying this bill, but there was no service to the property until 9-02-04. I can't pay for service that was never received.

please, anyone, can you tell me what I should do. Helppp!!!!!!!!

Fancy
ny, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2004 08:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progress-Energy/St-Petersburg-Florida-33733/Progress-Energy-ripoff-charging-a-connection-fee-and-there-was-no-service-St-Petersbur-107922. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progress Energy

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Relax there is help

AUTHOR: A Helping Hand - (U.S.A.)

Just contact the FL Public service commision it will make them fix your problem Good luck They will investigate your claims

said they have issued a credit

AUTHOR: Fancy - (U.S.A.)

After several phone calls to Progress Energy, they said they have issued a credit for the full invoice..
The invoice is now $0.
I am happy.. thank you for letting me post this.