Complaint Review: Progress Energy

• Submitted: Wed, November 26, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, May 26, 2010

• Reported By:Ocoee Florida
Progress Energy
PO Box 33199, Nationwide U.S.A.

Progress Energy Huge Deposit Required ,$600 despite Clean Payment History! Orlando Florida

*General Comment: progress energy

*Consumer Comment: I had the same experience

I'm customer with Progress Energy since almost 3 years. I always paid my bills on time. Now I'm moving to a new property. Progress Energy requires me to pay a $600(!!!) deposit.

This is outrageous! They're just ripping off people with that. One quick look into my file should tell them that I never-ever missed a payment since I've been their customer.

There's no way to dispute this, of course, since Progress Energy is the only available power company at my new place. Florida's power companies have divided up the real estate here neatly between themselves. This is equivalent to establishing a monopoly.

Great, how the free market regulates itself, right?
This screams for regulatory oversight!!!

What really pisses me off is that this company supposedly uses my credit history (score is > 700, by the way) to justify this and they do not contribute towards building it!!!

Theonewhoisrippedoff
Ocoee, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2008 11:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progress-Energy/nationwide/Progress-Energy-Huge-Deposit-Required-600-despite-Clean-Payment-History-Orlando-Florida-395303. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progress Energy

#1 General Comment

progress energy

AUTHOR: sissy - (United States of America)

I has told that the deposit price is not used from your credit score, but from the previous house's credit. ie..if the people who lived in the house before you never paid their bills, then building will have a high deposit. I moved into my house with a $400.00 deposit required and never had progress energy before. Unlike other states who work with you and allow you to change your "due" date... they refuse. I lost my job a few months ago and couldn't pay my $95.00 bill  ( i needed 1 extra week) they refused to help and shut off my power...they could have taken the money out of my deposit and still had $305.00 left of my money.   They are the worst!!!!

I had the same experience

AUTHOR: Mona Smith - (U.S.A.)

Progress Energy does have a monolopy going. They are consumer unfriendly in every way possible. I had the same experience as far as a deposit. They required $750 on a single family home I purchased. My credit score at the time was over 750 and I had been their customer previously with no late payments etc. Have you experienced their frequent power outages? Every week, the power goes out for an hour to a couple of hours. When I lived on the other side opf town, where it was serviced by a different power company I can only remember 1 power outage in 3 years.