• Report: #862004

• Updated: Sat, March 31, 2012

• Reported By: Michael — Olive Branch Mississippi United States of America
Progressive Insurance
P.O. box 31260 Internet United States of America

Progressive Insurance Progressive Auto Insurance Changed state or residence without request Internet, Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: More information for you...

*General Comment: Just some education

My Insurance was increased significantly based on a service request notification stemming change in my mailing address.  I reside, own my home, pay taxes, and have two vehicles registered in Mississippi. I am working part time in another state and wanted my mail to go to my Bother-in-laws residence near my office there. When progressive got the notification from the post office, they changed my policy to a dual residence policy and changed the garage address of my wife's mini van to what they ASSuMEd was my new residence. I discovered this weeks later when I saw the payment automatic draft increase by a hundred dollars over the normal amount.

I called Progressive to try to get to the bottom of the extra charge. First I was told it was for a change of address fee. I asked who submitted the change of address to them because it was not me I was told the post office had informed them of the change. I explained that I was working sometimes out of state, but I still resided at my same address in Mississippi and asked them to refund the additional charge. I was asked why my wife and I were not living together anymore. What?!? We do live together in the same house most of the time, and why is the state of my marriage and our employment situation any of Progressive's business as long as I am paying my bills and my cars spend their time at the garage address declared in my policy. I asked for the supervisor.

While discussing the situation with her supervisor Roxanne, I was told that the notice from the post office is lawful notification of my residence. And that my failure to properly notify them of an address change is why they set my policy to not renew. Roxanne then told me they would have canceled it immediately, but the state insurance department has told them that is illegal. I explained that I did not notify them of a change in address because I still live in the same address that is in my policy. I had moved like 5 years ago and notified them then giving them reason to trust me to notify them when I move.  I asked Roxanne to have Progressive refund me the amount they damaged me by charging me $100.00 per month more and possibly making my policy invalid by incorrectly identifying my wife and one vehicle as residing in the wrong state. I was told that I needed to prove myself to get any consideration. I had to provide a current utility bill from my Mississippi address, which Roxanne accusingly said "should be no problem if I really still live in Mississippi." Implying that I was lying. I was again insulted, because I already had the utility bill in my hand. Now the best part, I have to Fax (or mail) it to them which would take 48 hours to be received, then about 7-10 business days for them to process. Then if they decided they should refund me any money it would at most be the additional 100 dollars they had charged me over what my policy should have been. Any amount they chose to refund was up to them and not subject to negotiations. Now I have to go and find a FAX machine in 2012, when they can email me all the crap in the world all the time. I could hardly contain my frustration.

I asked what Roxanne as a person thought about that her company was doing to me another human being. I am just like everyone else struggling to make it through the hard economic times. She said she was a Progressive policy holder also and she would have the same thing happen if she changed her address. Sounded like she avoided my question, but I guess you sell your soul to your company store as the line from the song goes.

I called another insurance company and setup a different policy and then called Progressive back and canceled my policy.

When my wife called back a few minutes later concerned that they were going to also charge us a cancellation fee for terminating our policy Serena assured us there would not be a fee and offered to have their system email us a statement of our effective cancellation and the refunded amount for the unused prepaid insurance.

I guess this should not be too big of a deal I was just really hurt that Progressive has such bad policies and customer service procedures.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2012 05:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progressive-Insurance/internet/Progressive-Insurance-Progressive-Auto-Insurance-Changed-state-or-residence-without-reques-862004. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progressive Insurance

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

More information for you...

AUTHOR: empee - ()

First of all, it makes no sense to the company why you would reside in one place but have your mail delivered to another.  That doesn't add up.  Whatever reasons you may give them, you have to understand that people do this sort of thing all the time in order to manipulate the rates to their advantage.

The explanation that you want your mail to go to your brother in law's house instead of where you reside is a huge red flag in itself that this is what's going on.  Remember, where you reside has a big impact on your rates.

Second, the state of your marriage and employment are relative to the company because you receive discounts to your policy for such things.  So naturally if you receive some financial incentive to your rates because of your marriage status, then it's appropriate that any insurance company would ask you about that from time to time.

Finding a fax in 2012 is not really a problem.  I got one for $30 brand new at Best Buy simply because most businesses I deal with use fax.  Of course, you could always go to a UPS store or Kinko's and pay $1 or whatever it is.  Better yet, google, "free online fax" and you'll find several services that will fax the file you have on the computer for free.

#2 General Comment

Just some education

AUTHOR: Insurance Agent - ()

I am both a licensed insurance agent and a consumer, so I know both ends of the argument.  Does it seem fair that Progressive would change your policy?  No.  Does it make sense from a business perspective?  Yes.  You would not believe how many people claim residence in a state with cheaper rates, which is fraud.

Many people do not realize that the state a vehicle is registered in makes little difference when insuring a vehicle.  The state that the vehicle is in more than 50% of the time is the state that rates are calculated in.  Generally an insurance company will not change your policy indiscriminately.  There is a fraud department that gets involved and researches your circumstances through public record before you will ever experience a rate change.  It sounds like their fraud department discovered that you were, in fact, using that vehicle very often in a different state.

Before I became an agent I was ignorant of many of the laws regarding insurance.  Now that I am an agent, I still find many insurance practices annoying and unfair.  At the end of the day, the regulations are what they are.  You jump through the hoops required of you and you just deal with it because ignorance of the law doesn't change the law.  Sorry you had to go through this... and now you know for next time.