Complaint Review: Progressive Van Lines

• Submitted: Tue, August 31, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, November 22, 2004

• Reported By:Lowell Massachusetts
Progressive Van Lines
3101 SW 25th St #104 , Pembroke Park, Florida U.S.A.

Progressive Van Lines rip-off! They broke some of our stuff and won't pay our insurance claim. Pembroke Park Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Sad that X had to go through this much...

*Author of original report: Got Paid!

*Consumer Suggestion: Please refile your report under Progressive Insurance

*Author of original report: Just for giggles I am going to refile...

*Author of original report: Success!!!!

*Author of original report: update on cline insurance & the levings group

*Author of original report: agent info

*Author of original report: Insurance Broker Contact

*Consumer Suggestion: Progressive Insurance Contact

We moved interstate and contracted with Progressive Van Lines for the move. They broke some of our stuff, we filed a complaint with them, we got a letter back saying it would take 4-6 for us to hear something from them. To date, they haven't called or written. I have called them multiple times asking where my money was. Each time they responded we dont know, the person doing the insurance claims is behind and in only on the weekends.

Neither the General Manager of the office, Asas Nass, or anyone else at the # I called would lift a finger to find out where in the process my claim was or expedite its payment. I have contacted the 'Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration' to find out my rights. I dont expect to get much money back. I will continue to pursue them through all available means (eg, arbitration, state and federal authorities)

Lowell, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2004 10:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progressive-Van-Lines/Pembroke-Park-Florida-33009/Progressive-Van-Lines-rip-off-They-broke-some-of-our-stuff-and-wont-pay-our-insurance-cl-106294. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progressive Van Lines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Sad that X had to go through this much...

AUTHOR: B. - (U.S.A.)

Funny. Is Progressive's customer complaint percentage higher than the industry average? Most certainly. According to the Rip Off Report's files, Progressive has 33 complaints, and drives 50,000 miles each year. Then take United Van Lines, the industry leader in moving companies, which has 6 complaints here, and moves 190 MILLION miles each year. Yes, this is a small sampling, but shows the great disparity in complaints to actual moves between a reputable mover and Progressive Van Lines.

And to my knowledge, you are the ONLY complainer who has ever posted a positive resolve from Progressive, at least online. I am very glad that you got your money, and sickened that it took this much effort on your part to get them to loose with $190.

2880 Zanker Road, Suite 203 is a fancy firm named "HQ" that rent "virtual office space", giving companies a real mailbox in a fake place. According to Garcia's law partner's FlaBar entry, the REAL office is at her house (which I will not post) but suffice to say, it is in Florida, not CA, and is coincidentally the house she shares with her husband, the owner of Progressive Van Lines.

That and Garcia's been their lawyer since last December. Doesn't seem like a long time to me.

He is right though, they haven't been convicted of anything. Not because they treat their customers well, far from it, but because they enjoy the protection of the Carmack Amendment, which shields movers from lawsuits from private individuals (sorry, all those looking to get back at their scam movers!). The government is the only one that can bring charges of any kind, including fraud, extortion, breach of contract, moving without a license, etc, but they only have about 15 investigators for the entire country.

THAT is the reason no charges have been brought (yet) against Progressive Van Lines. Not because of Garcia's great law skills (which have not been 100% successful) or Progressive's wonderful people skills, but because the government is just drawn too tight, and the moving industry has too many lobbyists to repeal the Carmack Amendment. Sooner or later, the 15 investigators will get to them.

Oh, and X, when you get the thinly veiled threat of a slander lawsuit from Garcia for posting his contact info, remind him that it would be LIBEL, and that his contact info is public, anyway, easily found by anyone from the CA Bar Association's website.

Got Paid!

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

Well...here is the end of my story. After nearly six months of not being paid directly by Progressive for the $190 they owed me....and after months of calling everyone I could think of to get paid (see my other entry)...I finally talked to Progressive's lawyer.

He and I had a very informative and polite conversation regarding his client and their treatment of some customers.

The lawyer, as would be expected, offered several ideas designed to put just enough doubt into my mind that I wouldn't feel I had a case.

I suggested that his client has intentionally taken advantage of their clients.

He countered with the following:

He has been their lawyer for a while and they have never been convicted of anything.

What percentage of customers are treated badly? Is it greater than the industry average?

Do people who ever complain online come back and say when they are finally paid (like this message)?

It all sounded fine to me...all very valid questions. However, no answer to any of the questions would absolve Progressive of the harms they have caused (as described at this site and others).

The last argument he made, however, was beyond insulting. That, just perhaps, all of the harms that have been described herein are just "bad customer service."

He then graciously offered to get my check processed for me and asked in return that I don't paste his contact information anywhere.

Well, lo' and behold, he did get my check processed (I know am $190 richer in my bank account) in a matter of less than two weeks.

Amazing. I got paid!

However, it proves a couple of things:

1. That if Progressive wants to move quickly and take care of business that they are evidentially able to do so.

2. That the lawyer, however gracious to me, either knows that his client treat people badly (he told me that he had read postings here on and other sites) or doesn't know and should.

So, what does this all mean to us? That Progressive is obviously taking its time because it chooses to. Before I got paid I was going on 5 months after my claim was filed. They have a responsibility to their clients (us) to pay their claims promptly. If their internal systems precludes that (an argument I repeatedly heard from customer service at Progressive) they should have fixed it months ago.

If, on the other hand, their internal systems do allow for the fast processing of claims (obviously they do), then they have no excuse for this backlog.

The lawyer, because of his involvement with the company is now fair game for all of us.

There is a growing effort in various legislatures to pass laws weakening the attorney-client privileges and making the lawyers as responsible as the accountants for what they knew and when they knew it.

This effort exists because it is in the greater good for a society to root out its crooks. Whenever we give them a place to hide it makes that process harder.

Of course, there is nothing I can do about changing the laws. But I can help others out there who have been harmed by Progressive.

The lawyer is:

Michael Garcia, Esq.
Garcia, Haggai Law Offices
2880 Zanker Road, Suite 203
San Jose, CA 95134
Tel: 408-954-7343
Fax 408-944-9613

Sorry, Mike. I know you asked me not to post this. But, Progressive is bad news and people are owed money. You are either part of the problem or the solution here....

If anyone else is able to get money write me at:

I would like to know if I helped.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Please refile your report under Progressive Insurance

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

Charles, you want to complain against Progressive Insurance. This is Progressive Van Lines complaints, a moving company. Please refile your report so it gets seen in the right place.

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

I,was involed in auto accident last 09/12/03 with one of progressive insured's backing out of their driveway and hitting the left side of my car onto the rode i was travling on,i had stoped at a stop sign when i left my house just down the block after i stoped at the stop sign i then proceeded to make a left hand turn after i completed this vehicle backed out of their driveway backing into me causing damange to the left front fender and headlight and causing the car to stall out.

The,police were called and they took the report the car was left undrivable after the impact and had to be towed the police called a tow truck and it was towed to the nearest body shop,later that night we made a claim with our insurace and reported the accident to get a rental car the next day we got the rental car and the following week we then concacted the other party's insurance who caused the accident and told them about the accident and told their adjuster my statement about what had happen.

Two week's after the accident they sent someone from their department to go look over the car to see how much the repair's were going to cost's they got back with us with $3364 in repair's after they did the estitime's they found their insured guilty for causing the accidnet and sent me a check for the repair's, we gave the body shop the go ahead to start repair's.

When the body, shop began the tear down the found more damange they found that when the impacted happen the electrical wire's had been cut so the bodyshop ceased all repair's and then called progressive back.Progressive went, and did another estiment to found out it would cost's way more then from the orginal repair cost all totaling $6400 so they just decided to total the car out this was about a month after the accident had happend i took the money after they total the car out and purchase me a new car because we could not keep the rental car another 30 day's and i had to quit making payment's the car that was totaled after that was when my real problem's began after i purchased the new car progressive requested that i had over them the car before they paid for it the reason why because they didn't want to pay for anymore storage fee's where the car was being kepted at the bodyshop.

Progressive,then sent me a letter stating they are refusing to pay anymore storage fee's due to my refusal to move it to a storage free place what storage free place their's no such thing they wanted the car before they paid for it progressive just didn't want to pay for anymore storage fee's progressive wanted the car before they paid for it after their insured destroyed it and it's not right that they want pay for it i only owed $10,000 they could have paid of the car easily but they refused they only wanted to pay $6,000 know sense they stoped paying storage payment's to the body shop storage charge's were building up during this time and progressive except's me to pay for the balance and the storage fee's all togather and them not pay anymore money then what they already had which is wrong,the accident was not my fault and my finance company doesn't seem to understand that the accident was not my fault it's the insurance company's responsibilty to mitigate the damange's when their driver is at fault for the accident and progressive refused to settle the claim and refused to make anymore storage fee payment's to let the storage fee's get so high.

Back in febuary,i found out progressive got the body shop to stop the storage payment's at $2,000 i contacted the insurance commissoner's had them look into it these storage charge's aren't my fault progressive refused to settle the claim in a timely manner and it's their fault the storage fee's are so high because of their refusal to pay the claim they also kepted asking for the title to the car why should i let them have the car when they refused to pay for it after their insured caused the accident, because of this accident i'am in a financial dept with my finance company because i can't pay them with having to buy a new car because of this accident and the payment's being tied up in that and it's been a year sense it happen and still nothing being done it's progressive's fault about the storage fee's because they refused to settle the accidnet of course like all insurance company's they do not want to pay anything progressive except's me to pay for the storage fee's and to pay on my loan they got another thing coming!.

My,credit is messed, up my credit was in good standing all up till the time of the accident when progressive refused to settle i contacted the insurance comminsoner's office they said oh well no court's can make me pay the storage fee's because the accident was not my fault i'am in financial depted because of progressive i don't have the money to pay for the storage fee's and i will not pay them!,

progressive insured caused all this mess i'am going threw and they have to with refusing to settle progressive found another victim to screw over i'am having diffuclty finding an attorney to get a judgement out agaisnt progressive insured for causing this accident and for ruining my credit my credit was fine till the time of this accident my car is ruined had to purchase a new one and had to quit paying my finance company because of the new car progressive has screwed me big time! i do not know how to retain a judgement out agaisnt progressive because i have never been in this kind of mess in my life i have manange to ignore my finance company's threat's they think i should still have to pay them and they just let progressive of the hook.

I've have complained, to the BBB for their harassment because the accident was not my fault! and progressive except's me to pay for everything and them not pay nothing they have planned this out very well they think their getting away with something but at the end this thing will come up and bite them in the a*s!!!!!!

i do not deserve this treatment because this accidnet was not my fault!!!!!!! and i will not take any of their abuse why should i have to pay the storage fee's when the accident was not my fault and they refused to settle and let the storage fee's get so high progressive will pay for what all they caused me ruthless pig's!!!!!!!!!.

Just for giggles I am going to refile...

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

I spoke with the manager of customer service, Rosemary Martin. She said that the refund computer system had crashed, that she couldn't tell which claims were still in the system and which weren't, and that I should refile as that was the best way to get my claim paid.

Just for giggles I am going to refile...though I doubt that do anything good...

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

I spoke with Christine @ Cline Insurance again today...she is going to file my claim directly with Lloyds on London Insurance. Normally, I would be getting a call back within 24-48 hours, but due to the recent hurricanes it is likely to take a bit longer.

The next step will be for an adjuster from Lloyds to contact me.

I suggest that anyone harmed by Progressive between from 9/27/03 to the present contact Christine at Cline to file a claim.

Also, I am interested in whether this information is helpful. If it is please drop me a note at trangot@yahoo.com

update on cline insurance & the levings group

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

I spoke with Daniella at Levings Group. They arent allowed to contact Progressive directly... it all has to go through the agent, Cline.

I spoke with Christine Tetreault at Cline....Progressive's insurance with Cline is set to end this month...so, any claims against the company beforethen should go to Cline.

Christine is going to look for a phone # for Lloyds, the actual insurer, so that I can possibly make a claim against them....

agent info

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

I spoke again with Danielle at The Levings Group... they are still trying to get ahold of Progressive's agent, Cline Insurance, who is in southern FL... so I imagine they arent answering their phones right now.

Anyways, I believe this is their contact info:

A Aachen Aba Cline Insurance
1100 E Oakland Park Blvd Ste 104
Oakland Park, FL 33334-2749
Phone: (954) 564-7978

Insurance Broker Contact

AUTHOR: X - (U.S.A.)

I called the law firm in DC. All they do is file certain papers with the appropriate federal agencies. They referred me to the broker:

The Levings Group
2727 NW 43rd Street
Ste. 5C
Gainesville, FL 32006
contact: danielle granda

when i spoke with danielle she had not received any kind of complaints regarding progressive...her next step was to go to the owner of the company, Mr. Levings, for him to contact the agent to find out if they got my claim from progressive. if the agent didn't get the claim, then danielle said that Mr. Levings would investigate as to why no claims were getting from progressive van lines to either the agent, the broker, the law firm, or the insurer....

i just left a message for mr.levings...I suggest that everyone else who has ever been robbed by Progressive start calling them, too.

Maybe, if we focus our efforts on the same folks in the chain at the same time that SOMEONE will eventually put pressure on the criminals over at Progressive.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Progressive Insurance Contact

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

I doubt Progressive has even turned in your insurance calim,a nd are stalling you past the 90 day filing deadline. Call their insurance agent and submit directly to them.

Telephone: (202) 986 - 8000
Fax: (202) 986 - 8102

Policy # RFC000011

Good luck! When you file all your complaints (1-888-DOT-SAFT), be sure to mention that you did not receive your Rights and Responsibilites book, as movers are required by law to give out.