Complaint Review: Protect Your Home, ADT, Defender Security

• Submitted: Sun, May 24, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 28, 2011

• Reported By:Mobile Alabama
Protect Your Home, ADT, Defender Security
3750 Priority Way South Drive, Suite 200 Indianapolis, Indiana U.S.A.

Protect Your Home, ADT, Defender Security Sleazy Crooks; Non-existent monitoring Indianapolis Indiana

*UPDATE Employee: He tried to play the system

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: ADT dealers Defender Direct

* : Once again, people do not listen

I've really gotten involved with a sleazy bunch of crooks, doing business as ADT Protect Your Home [or Defender Security]. I responded to an ad in the local paper, thinking I was dealing with the local office of ADT. On June 26, 2008, a representative came to my house and installed the system. Because I thought I was dealing with local office of ADT, I contacted them the next day to ask several questions, but the local office of ADT informed me that they knew nothing about my contract, and that ADT Protect Your Home was not based locally.

Since I felt ADT Protect Your Home had been dishonest in not informing me that they were based in Indiana, I decided to cancel my contract with them. The ALARM SERVICES CONTRACT with ADT Protect Your Home stated I had three business days to cancel. I tried to cancel, but it was impossible for me to contact the company: I was not furnished with a mailing address; neither was there a functioning telephone system. [The first time I was able to obtain a mailing address for Protect Your Home was in January, 2009, when I received a letter from them postmarked 1/5/09.]

Regarding the lack of a valid mailing address, on the ALARM SERVICES CONTRACT from ADT Protect Your Home appears both of the following, Place Dealer Label Here and ADT Authorized Dealer Name and Address. However, on my contract, both were left blank.

Also, it was impossible to contact the company by telephone: every time I tried to call, I would be put on hold, and then after eight minutes, the line would go dead. This happened every time I tried to contact them. I was never able to talk to a live person, no matter how many times I dialed the company's telephone number.

As a result, I was not able to contact ADT within the 3 day period in order to cancel my contract.

I would have tolerated the situation, but on my next credit card statement, there were two unauthorized charges from Defender Security C, one for $618.03 and another for $161.32. I have no idea what these charges were for. The ALARM SERVICES CONTRACT from ADT Protect Your Home only mentions a total monthly service charge of $40.99. In addition, the original advertisement in the local paper has the following language: Free Home Security System! At NO COST to you for parts and activation with only a $99 installation fee and the purchase of alarm monitoring services. I was expecting to be charged only a one-time fee of $99 plus monthly fees of $40.99. The contract does not mention these extra charges of almost $800.

I wanted to discuss these charges with ADT Protect Your home. Again, I tried to contact ADT Protect Your Home by telephone, since this was the only means I had of contacting them. Again, it was impossible to reach them by telephone: after holding for 8 minutes, the phone would go dead. I wanted to discuss the matter with them in a reasonable manner, hoping to clear up what I thought was a misunderstanding. I realize now they are just a bunch of sleazy crooks.

Shortly thereafter, I had left the motion sensor on by mistake. I remained in the house for 5 hours. My son came home and found the sensor activated; however, there had been no police response or any response from ADT during this time. As a result, I assumed my entire security system with ADT Protect Your Home was bogus and non-functional. Again, I tried to contact the company, but just like every time I had tried to contact ADT Protect Your Home, I was not able to make contact via telephone: after eight minutes, the phone would always go dead. I made repeated attempts to contact company by telephone on several days and after different times of the day, but I always received the same response. [And remember, I had no valid mailing address until several months later.]

After the ADT's initial misrepresentation, the unauthorized charges to my credit card company card of almost $800, the failure of services provided, and the impossibility of contacting the company, I decided I no longer wanted to have any sort of business connection with ADT Protect Your Home or Defender Security. Therefore, I instructed my credit card company to stop making any additional payments to ADT Protect Your Home. I also contacted the Better Business Bureau of Central Indiana in Indianapolis to file a complaint. I received the following information from the BBB of Indianapolis:

Based on BBB files, this business has an unsatisfactory record with BBB due to 35 unanswered complaints, 3 unresolved complaints and its failure to substantiate or modify advertising claims. In addition, the BBB had processed a total of 234 complaints about this business in the last 36 months.

Later, I contacted ADT national headquarters in Jacksonville, who told me orally that the contract was cancelled. [I did not receive anything in writing, however.]

Since I stopped making payments to this dishonest bunch of crooks, I have been harassed constantly by them, almost on a daily business. Recently, they turned my case over to a collection agency, Rosenthal, Morgan and Thomas, A Professional Recovery Corporation, 12747 Olive Blvd, Suite 375, Saint Louis, Missouri 63141 (800) 361-0363, demanding payment of $2,382.47.

I filed a complaint with the FTC, and I'm going to file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of Alabama.

Gwen
Mobile, Alabama

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on ADT Security

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2009 06:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Protect-Your-Home-ADT-Defender-Security/Indianapolis-Indiana-46240/Protect-Your-Home-ADT-Defender-Security-Sleazy-Crooks-Non-existent-monitoring-Indianapo-454976. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Protect Your Home, ADT, Defender Security

He tried to play the system

AUTHOR: Readingthenews - (United States of America)

You said the ad was for free syatem, with contract.

When you cancled, it means that not only will the police not come when you walk around the house with the system armed, it means you have to pay for the free gear. Did you think someone was going to give you all of that free stuff (about $800) and then let you just toss the contract the next day?

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

ADT dealers Defender Direct

AUTHOR: Big - (USA)

Here is the deal,,,  ADT ,, Protect Your Home ( Defender Direct) will hold your contract as an authorized dealer for 6 months,, when the deal clears 6 months its sold to ADT corporate,,  I will explain a deal at Defender the 1st 3 days from an install,, as a tech,, you do your 3 installs a day 100 miles apart from each other and you turn in your paper work every morning,  If something is misspelled or crossed out or anything out of place its the techs fault, so you have to go back out and get it resigned ,,, for free on your own dime,, If customer care screwed up the spelling its your fault,,ok back to the issue,,, customer signs the 3 yr agreement on Monday and they cancel on Tuesday,,, The local office does not send paperwork until Thurs ( Via UPS ) to Indiana by the time Defender Direct opens the ups package its Tuesday of next week and they can charge u because you initaled a 3 day business  day cancel agreement and by the time your account is in the system,,, you are allready commited for 3 years,,,  and you are committed to a 3 year deal with 3 yr renewals,,, oh yes check the paper work,, when u sign a deal,, always send a cancelation letter in as soon as u sign a contract so it does not auto renew for 3 more years,, If you want ADT corporate you have to pay at least 500.00 down for the real deal

#3

Once again, people do not listen

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Gwen, if you would listen and read you would have found out that you were to blame.  First off, Protect Your Home installs this system, not monitor.  ADT would not have known anything about your account until the install was complete.  Second, when you cancel the contract, you cancel with ADT, not Protect Your Home.  Again, the fault of not reading and listening.  Second, you do get charged when you decide to buy extra equipment like you did.  Do not lie and say you didn't.  Third, if you would listen to the recording when you ordered the system, it tells you why you were going to be charged $161.32 3 days before you were charged.  Listening and reading are very critical.  Do not blame other people because you made a mistake by not paying attention.  Protect Your Home nor ADT is responsible for anything but doing what they have always done.  Blame yourself, not other people.  Everything was done exactly like it was suppose to be done.  Honestly.  Your ignorance is to blame, nobody else.

Jess