• Report: #120986

• Submitted: Thu, December 02, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, October 21, 2012

• Reported By:Bethlehem Pennsylvania
Protection Plus
4431 William Penn Hwy Murrysville, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

C.A.R.S. Protection Plus Ripoff dishonesty to get you to buy their warranty they don't hold up to Murrysville Pennsylvania

*General Comment: This warranty company is worthless

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Read your Warranty

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Read your Warranty

*Consumer Comment: Pennsylvania Class Action against Protection Plus Inc.

Purchased a 1996 Dodge Caravan on 8/30/03, less than one year later the exaust manifold had a crack in it. Took it to my mechanic which told me the claim was denied.

Ticked off, I called Protection Plus and asked for a supervisor (Bernie). He eventually agreed to have the car repaired. After being repaired with the expectations of only paying the deductible, we got hit with a bill for over $300. Called Bernie back and was told that they only cover $46 of labor and I was responsible for the difference. This is definately not disclosed in the contract. Now less than 6 months after that, I was driving the car when it suddenly made a loud noise and a puff of white smoke came from under the car. Upon looking noticed trans fluid pouring out.

Had car towed which cost, to my mechanic. They were denied the claim because the mechanic would not break the trans down to a component level. Had towed to a tranny shop. Flywheel, torque converter and trans pump is smashed because of excessive play in crank. Had to pay diagnostic fee, and found out the engine is shot. Had to pay to have towed to another place. This place wants $500 fee to diagnose the car, when it has already been diagnosed. I filed reports with the BBB, Attorney Generals office, Consumer Protection Bureau, and the FTC.

Further, it is indicated on the BBB website that the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office has a 7 count legal action against the Protection Plus Inc. for failure to make all the necessary disclosures in the selling of its extended used car warranties.

Scott
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2004 11:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Protection-Plus/Murrysville-Pennsylvania-15668/CARS-Protection-Plus-Ripoff-dishonesty-to-get-you-to-buy-their-warranty-they-dont-hol-120986. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Protection Plus

#1 General Comment

This warranty company is worthless

AUTHOR: 2004Dodge - (USA)

I have dealt with this company and they just do not want to pay any claims. This warranty company is not worth the paper it is written on. I am also writing a letter to my states banking and insurance commission to complain about this company and hope they ban them from doing business in my state.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Read your Warranty

AUTHOR: T. - (U.S.A.)

Ok, first of all I do want to clear this up for the other people that read this. It DOES, in fact, state the labor rate on the contract UNDER THE LABOR SECTION ON THE CONTRACT! READ IT! Second, it is not C.A.R.S. fault that the shop would not do teardown, nor is it their fault that you chose to take it to a shop that charges that much for diagnosis. The reason they have lawsuits is because of the brilliant people that don't learn to read their contracts before they sign them. And if you actually knew, you would know that most of them tend to be worked out. SO, before you go accusing someone just because you're mad, read ALL of the print on the contract and realize who is really at fault.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Read your Warranty

AUTHOR: T. - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: E - (U.S.A.)

I have had simular dealings with this company and have done some research. The Class Action filed by the State of Pennsylvania is now in settlement. Unfortunatly it only includes residents of Pennstlvania. For those of us living outside that state it is still in mediation. Also they have changed the language on there contracts so they will continue to do business as usual.

The lawsuit has not been completed but I have information on the docket number. I am unfamiluar with Pennsylvania legal filings so these is the best I have.
Commonwealth Port 834-MD-2003

I hope this helps those that live in Pennsylvania and maybe there is still hope for the rest of us.