Complaint Review: Provident Bank

• Submitted: Tue, January 01, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, January 01, 2008

• Reported By:king george Virginia
Provident Bank
2062 Plank Road Fredericksburg, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-962-9644
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Provident Bank Of Virginia & Maryland Being charged 93.00 for a .17 Cent fee when account was closed! UNFAIR CHARGES AND USE OF FEES TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID! Fredericksburg Virginia

I had Provident Bank for over a year without any negative funds activity on my part. As others have said before this bank holds funds(payroll checks, company checks) for 7 days or more. The bank you are cashing the payroll check off of could literally be sitting in the parking lot next to them(yes it happened to me) and they will hold the check for 7 days because "that is their policy". Their policy also is when you use other atms-they do not charge you that fee then and there like other banks...they wait untill the end of the month to charge you fees for using atms.

So, if you used another atm 5 times, then all on one day at then end of the month you get charged 10.00. Recently moving to a different area I cancelled my checking account at the Fredericksburg VA branch and started an account at a new bank alltogether that has no charges or hidden monthly fees. Cancelling the account was where the problem started.

After cancelling the acct. at the branch I asked the rep was this effective immediately and she said yes. I told her I updated accounts that were linked to this cancelled checking account to make sure that no bill pays would happen and she said it wouldn't matter because the acct. was closed. She told me to go to the front and collect wth money that was in my acct.

First mistake. 2 1/2 weeks later I receive a letter in the mail saying I have been charged 34.00 overdraft fee for a .17 cent withdrawal that didn't go through. (It was an ebay fee that was charged but didn't take it out of my new checking account. This was corrected through them and the .17 cents was paid.) Well, I get online to the banks website to see if my account really is still open. To my shock it is. I am negative 93.00 for an account that I closed in good standing over .17 cents that they didn't even pay. On my account online it says closing withdrawal for when I was given my money from my account. Then on the same day there is the .17 cent fee.

Then there is another 34.00 for the .17 cents again plus 5.00 a day for the acct being in the negative range!! An account that I closed in good standing. I had no idea this acct was still open and I have never been charged an NSF fee the whole time I had the account because I was always is good standing.

A phone call to the headquarters in MD to see why this was happening was useless. I was told the acct closing isn't always effective immedately and it doesn't matter that I closed my acct. it was kept open because of the .17 cents that was presented even though it was presented after I was told my acct was closed. I would have been happy to let the bank keep .17 cents! Now Im being told I will contine to be charged 5.00 a day untill I pay them the fees that resulted from them not covering .17 cents.

I don't know what to do, I know however I rather be reported to telecheck and a collection agency then give these people any money. Ecspecially for .17 cents!! I know there is a class action against them now for something that doesn't have to do with their regular banking fees. But something should be started!Beware of this bank.

king george, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/01/2008 07:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Provident-Bank/Fredericksburg-Virginia-22401/Provident-Bank-Of-Virginia-Maryland-Being-charged-9300-for-a-17-Cent-fee-when-account-296044. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Provident Bank