Complaint Review: Providian National Bank

• Submitted: Thu, April 24, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, May 07, 2003

• Reported By:woodland California
Providian National Bank
www.providianonline.com Los Angelas, California U.S.A.

Providian And Marin Bank (First National Bank Of Marin) ripoff Los Angelas California

*Consumer Comment: Fees and interest... credit card companies are more than likely within their rights on this issue.

Beware! I have had a nightmare of a time dealing with 2 CC companies, First National Bank of Marin and Providian Bank. These companies have harrassed, threatened, and have been down right disgusting in their "business practices". I took out both cards and everything was working out reasonably well until my husband died. I called both banks and explained the situation and told them that I would be leaving the state for a time to settle all of our affairs. I then told them that I was cancelling both cards since there was not going to be any activity on them and that they could send the final bills to me. Well we owed apr 500.00 on each card and when I returned to my home several months later to my horror the balances had sky rocketted to over 1000.00 on the Providian and 900.00 on the Marin card. I called immediatly and was given the run around, called several other numbers that re directed me to (you guessed it ) to a collection dept. I explained the situation and as it turned out both companies said they had no record of my calls that the interest and late fees have been accruing since last year and on and on about how I was a deadbeat and that I need to pay my bills. Well me being a hot head immediatly took action and demanded to speak with a supervisor and both comapanies reps hung up on me. Both accounts are in collection and that is where they are going to stay until they decide to improve their business practices they will get another penny from me. To anyone else out there who is going through this be firm with these people and don't let them intimidate you. You have a right to know what you are paying for and they need to be able to provide you with documentation when you ask for it. Before you pay a cent double check your bills and check with the your Attorney Generals Office for credit card laws set up to protect the consumer. Best of luck! Anastasia woodland, California
U.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Providian Financial Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on PROVIDIAN NATIONAL BANK CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2003 11:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Providian-National-Bank/Los-Angelas-California-90080/Providian-And-Marin-Bank-First-National-Bank-Of-Marin-ripoff-Los-Angelas-California-54264. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Providian National Bank

AUTHOR: Ray - (U.S.A.)

Okay, you called and asked to have the final bills sent to you, and left town, then returned several months later, and did you expect the unpaid bills to still be the same as they were when you left?

Just because you closed the accounts and don't charge anything more on them doesn't mean the interest and late fees don't continue to accrue. You are still legally held to the interest and fees that you agreed to when he accounts were open.

I'm sorry to say, the credit card companies are more than likely within their rights on this issue.