Complaint Review: Providian National Bank

• Submitted: Sun, January 18, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, March 13, 2009

• Reported By:Miami Florida
Providian National Bank
295 Main St. Tilton, New Hampshire U.S.A.

Providian National Bank Action on my wage for an account I never open Tilton New Hampshire

*Consumer Suggestion: Here's some good news!

In February 1999 I went to bankruptcy under Chapter 7 and after that I spent years covering my living expenses straight out of my paychecks, now I'm told that Providian issued a credit card on my name. It wasn't until a few monts ago that I got from my Bank (Washington Mutual) a credit line for $500.00. and I felt motivated to repair my credit. I made some advance, then, suddenly my score was lowered by 7 points and soon I understood why: I was defaulted for a delinquent account I never requested or used.

I received a letter (mailed to the house of my girlfriend's aunt) by a collecting firm, Altman, Altman & Cooper from New York telling me that if I don't respond disputing the debt, they'll assume the debt is valid. I mailed my dispute, certified, and they called me to cynically assure me I got that credit card, used it and made payments for some time and they gonna proceed to collect the money. According to this letter the original creditor was Providian National Bank, then the debt was sold to New Century Financial Services Inc.

Over the phone a representative from AA&C told me I was defaulted in 2003 and the case was handled by another firm. He said that I made my last payment in 2001, I told him that I came to Florida in March 2001 when I was collecting unemployment benefits checks and I was making no payments to any credit cards, but they just kept repeating themselves.

I have the sense these institutions pave they way to court to get us defaulted, preying upon us like vultures upon a dead cow. Help, Please!

Ural
Miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2009 07:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Providian-National-Bank/Tilton-New-Hampshire-03276/Providian-National-Bank-Action-on-my-wage-for-an-account-I-never-open-Tilton-New-Hampshire-413635. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Providian National Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Isisrose - (U.S.A.)

You say they claim you last made a payment in 2001. That would be last activity. Here is the thing. Each state has a statute of limitations on debt and that is typically anywhere from 3 - 6 years for credit card debt. It would go by whatever state you currently live in (and never let any debt collector tell you otherwise-they will try that tactic if your previos state had a longer statute of limitations). I am sure 2001 would be beyond the statute of limitations and that means they can not sucessfully sue you. You argue statute of limitations and a judge throws it out.

Further more there is a time limit on when items can be reported on your credit report and this would fall under the 7 year catagory. That means if it is more than 7 years since last activity and can not go on your credit reports. 2001 is more than 7 years ago.

#2 Consumer Suggestion