Complaint Review: Providian

• Submitted: Tue, January 28, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, February 03, 2003

• Reported By:Shell Knob Missouri
Providian
www.providian.com Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Providian strikes again Dallas Texas

*Author of original report: I appreciate your sympathetic feed-back.

*Consumer Comment: WHO'S MINDING YOUR ACCOUNT

I'm just chiming in with my complaint. If there is ever a class-action suit, I'll be happy to add our names to the list of unhappy customers.

Several years ago my husband and I declared bankruptcy--largely due to medical bills, job losses and so on. It was a shaming experience to say the very least. We are not "dead-beats", and the issue of the bankruptcy is still one of embarrassment to us.
We've worked very, very hard to rebuild our credit, kept a close eye on our credit reports, paid all our bills on time without exception and two years ago were able to buy a home.

Since I'd had a Providian card for four years and had no trouble with it, last year I decided to get my husband's first card through them (A Getsmart Card, to be exact--I should have done more homework, obviously). We've made every payment on time and he's never been over his limit.

We got a letter telling us that his account had been sold. I did some research on the company and could find almost nothing about it. It also disturbed me to learn that the card had no website. I prefer to pay my credit card bills, usually early, on-line because I can then be sure that they got it on time. (I've had too many recent incidents of utility payments getting lost being or delayed in the mail. I don't trust my credit record to the USPC. The things I simply must mail I always send priority with delivery confirmation. That's expensive.) Also, in this day and age, any card or large business that doesn't have a web-site (even an informational one) available on line should be viewed with suspicion and concern, in my opinion.

I should note that we got a notice last summer stating that the interest on all Getsmart cards would be going up in December. So this obviously not just an issue of picking and chosing customers based on their credit rating. I'm afraid that when the card was "sold" last Fall I made the leap that our interest would remain the same so I decided to wait to pay off the card until after the first of year. My bad, obviously.

Imagine my "delight" when I learned yesterday that his interest rate had been raised to nearly 30%. Further more, Providian still owns the account (I found this in the middle of the latest bill---" . . .Providian National Bank remains your card issuer and CompuCredit Corporation is your account servicer" hmmmm . . .). Golly, I wonder why there's no information out there about the Emerge card.

Next week we will pay off his card and close the account. We will also pay off my card with them and close the account as quickly as possible. I spoke with a friend yesterday who heard our story and she's closing her account and her husband's account as well. I fully intend to continue my campaign against this company. At the very least I'd like to contribute to it's negative reputation.

In my search for the Emerge card website, I found a few sites such as yours with a long list of complaints about Providian similar to ours. Today I am making the rounds, adding my name to all the lists.

What a sobering lesson in poor business ethics that this is.

Mary
Shell Knob, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2003 09:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Providian/Dallas-Texas-75266/Providian-strikes-again-Dallas-Texas-43071. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Providian

I appreciate your sympathetic feed-back.

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

Thanks Karen.

We closed out the account today. To my disappointment, but not to my surprise, they wanted forty dollars more than the system said we owed. We agreed, anxious to have the whole thing over with, then the young woman said that the system wouldn't accept the entire amount ( all but 14.40--strange sum). So they asked us to call back and pay them the remaining balance in eight days--then we can supposedly close out the account. Get this--there will be a check-by-phone fee for that. I smell a rat--a big, slick, shiny rat, with numbers across its forehead.

WHO'S MINDING YOUR ACCOUNT

AUTHOR: KAREN - (U.S.A.)

WELL, MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE SHARED YOUR EXPERIENCE. I RESEARCHED PROVIDIAN. THE EMERGE MASTERCARD IS OWNED BY COMPUCREDIT,. THEY HAVE A WEB SITE. NOT MUCH INFORMATION.

EMERGE IS WHAT THEY NAMED THE ACCOUNTS THEY CLOSED AND BOUGHT FROM PROVIDIAN. DON'T FEEL BAD! IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF ANYTHING YOU DID OR DID NOT DO. THIS WAS A FINANCIAL WAY FOR PROVIDIAN TO GET BACK THEIR LOSSES FOR THE 300 MILLION DOLLARS THEY WERE SUED FOR, JUST ANOTHER FLEECING OF CONSUMERS. PROVIDIAN FOUND A WAY TO GET AROUND THE LEGAL PART, AND RIP US OFF! THEY COULD USE ANY FLAW ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT EVEN OLD ITEMS. TO USE FOR AN EXCUSE.

THE CREDIT REPORTS ARE SO RIDDLED WITH ERRORS IT HORRIFYING!!!TRANS UNION EXPERIAN AND PROVIDIAN ARE ALL IN KAHOUTS AND IT IS FOR THIER OWN FINANCIAL GAINS. WE PAY THE PRICE.

JUST A LESSON LEARNED. USE YOUR LOCAL BANKS FOR CREDIT IF YOU CAN. STAY AWAY FROM ANY OF THESE HALF RATE CREDIT COMPANIES.

THEY WILL ASSIST TO RUIN YOUR CREDIT AND KEEP YOU IN THE SUB PRIME MARKET. THEN THEY ALL BENEFIT. THEY GET RICHER AND WE GET POORER. ONE HOPEFULL THOUGHT! THERE ARE SOME GOOD ATTORNEYS GOING AFTER THESE CROOKS. THEY ARE GETTING CAUGHT.SLOWLY BUT SURELY!

engineer