Complaint Review: Providian

• Submitted: Thu, February 06, 2003
  • Updated: Sun, September 07, 2003

• Reported By:Howe Texas
Providian
www.getsmart.com San Fransisco, California U.S.A.

Providian AKA Getsmart AKA Emerge Mastercard ripoff dishonest ripoffs San Fransisco California

*Consumer Suggestion: This is how you get emerge to cooperate w/accc

Just over a year ago I received my Getsmart visa card. I was always on time with my payments. Late this past summer my fiance lost his job and I fell behind. Since money was tight I switched all of our credit cards over to American Consumer Credit Counseling Program.

Before Providian could even receive their first payment they decided to break the contract by saying they hadn't received the payment per the agreement with ACCC. Then they switched my card over to a Emerge.

I pay the minimum required every month, but Emerge refuses to work with the counseling program. Instead the consistantly add late fees and over the limit fees to my account.

Even though I have proof that they have been receiving their payments and on time, per the agreement, nothing is getting corrected.

I am going to be forced to use my tax refund to pay off my account, instead of home improvement repairs.

Jennifer
Howe, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2003 06:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Providian/San-Fransisco-California/Providian-AKA-Getsmart-AKA-Emerge-Mastercard-ripoff-dishonest-ripoffs-San-Fransisco-Califo-44472. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Providian

#1 Consumer Suggestion

This is how you get emerge to cooperate w/accc

AUTHOR: Jessi - (U.S.A.)

So sorry that emerge took over some of providians' portfolio's...fyi, they just got some more accounts in the last two weeks.
Because of the conversion, several accounts that were taking part in a credit counseling program were considered to be in default.
You can get emerge to accept a new proposal from credit counseling by bringing your account current yourself; the best thing to do is call hem and ask them how they can help you.(1-866-670-5103)I am sure that several programs are available to you. Be aware that any time you don't get your payment to credit counseling on time, therefore not getting it to the company on time, you will be in default, which causes the proposal to go "out of effect" and late fees/overlimit fees to be applied, as well as cause the apr to go back up to the last setting before credit counseling.