Complaint Review: Public Movers

• Updated: Wed, January 02, 2013

• Reported By: Travis — Fairview Heights Illinois United States of America
Public Movers
2760 S. Park Road Pembroke Park, Florida United States of America

Public Movers PLEASE DO NOT USE PUBLIC MOVERS. THEY'RE PRACTICES BORDER ON FRAUD AND EXTORTION!!! Pembroke Park, Florida

*Consumer Comment: 99.9% of Moving Companies are SCAMS!! Best to sell your furniture!

I am in the process of a move with Public \Movers and I am experiencing a total nightmare. I spoke with sales rep (Elizabeth) over the phone. I was initially told that I would be contacted 2 days before the move (window) what the exact date and time of pick-up would be but I actually called Public a night before the move window and was told the move would be in 48 hours. Howevr, I received a call within 24 hours from Elizabeth begging me to move immediately because her driver finished another job early. Since that was a day early, I still have some packing to do so that couldn't work. She then put the driver on the phone and he agreed to come o the day we originally agreed but wanted to come at 6:00 am instead... of the 11:00 am we oringally agreed on. I told Elizabeth the exact inventory of things in my home (including dimensions). Some items were actually.excluded from the inventory list. After the driver loaded the truck, he closed the truck then proceeded to tell me I was over the estimated square footage by 200 square feet and that my cost would be $800 more than what I was quoted on phone! After I asked how he came up with that measurement, he said he looks at the support beams in the truck and estimates based on that. He had no ruler or anything to justify his claim. I then looked at how the items were packed and noticed there were huge gaps within my items that could have been easily filled in an compacted. I asked the driver how my estimate could be that far off if with an exact inventory list and he said because my furniture was bulky and it "adds up". I tried calling Elizabeth and she still has not returned my call (3 days later now).This is the most unprofessional company I have ever dealth with. I am terrified of what is to come when my furniture is delivered...I am ashamed to admit that I was warned about companies that quote price based on square footage and I really wish I had listened.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/02/2013 01:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Public-Movers/Pembroke-Park-Florida-33009/Public-Movers-PLEASE-DO-NOT-USE-PUBLIC-MOVERS-THEYRE-PRACTICES-BORDER-ON-FRAUD-AND-EXTO-990043. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Public Movers

99.9% of Moving Companies are SCAMS!! Best to sell your furniture!

AUTHOR: RC - (United States of America)

Although I have never used a moving company I did call a few for a friend who was looking to move a few items. He had a small apartment and didn't have much. He had a bedroom set and a kitchenette and a sofa and coffee table. Well, the moving company wanted to charge him almost $2,300 and when I responded to an inquiry online about looking for a moving company I was suddenly bombarded with hundreds of calls it seemed. These guys were all aggressive and pushy and my phone rung off the hook for weeks.

It spooked me and their fees were so much that spooked me too. He just ended up selling his stuff. I have known plenty of folks who have sold their furniture at steep discounts just to get rid of it because the moving companies are so expensive. It doesn't make sense to pay thousands to move used and worn furniture when you can take that same money and simply buy new furniture where ever you move.

I'm not suprised this guy did that though. They are kind of like Transmission shops. They finagle on the price until they get your car in there and take our your transmission and then suddenly their price goes up $2 Grand. They ALL do it because the person has no choice at that point.

It's a shady unscrupulous way to run a business and you did right to put it online.

Good Luck. And next time you won't make this same mistake I hope.