Complaint Review: Public Storage

• Updated: Fri, February 28, 2014

• Reported By: Lisa V Stokes — Brooklyn New York
Public Storage
1250 Rockaway Parkway Brooklyn, New York USA

Public Storage 44 years of my life; 70k worth of property and my life is ruin Brooklyn New York

*Consumer Comment: Question

*Consumer Comment: You should be dumbfounded...

*Consumer Comment: You do realize they were completely within their rights to do so, don't you?

On February 19, 2014 I paid $400.00 to my public Storage with a remaining balance of $249 which I was going to pay of Monday. I called Monday after 12:00 noon and I was advised by Charese that my belongings were auctioned off for the total amount of $550.00.  Having dealt with this company for over 3 years.  I am dumbfounded because I lost over 70k of property.  The following items:

Bedroom set - 10k

End table and Coffee tables - 2k

My degrees

private documents

desk 900.00

They have always worked with me in the past.  I am so lost for words and lost my entire life for $550.00.  Please help me.

Lisa V

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2014 01:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Public-Storage-/Brooklyn-New-York-11201/Public-Storage-44-years-of-my-life-70k-worth-of-property-and-my-life-is-ruin-Brooklyn-N-1127350. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Public Storage

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

What is the reason you had over 70k worth of items in storage for such a long period of time??? 30 grand for shoes and clothes???? Purses as well?? I have several Guccis, Kate Spade, Vuitton and Coach as well as Dooneys and I would never EVER put them in storage!  Screenplays and private documents??

You should be dumbfounded...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

I am not really sure what help you are looking for, because it appears you had a history of being delinquent.  Where just because they "worked" with you in the past doesn't mean they have to continue to work with you.  In fact if I was to guess they probably got tired of having to "work" with you and therfore used their legal rights and sold your storage unit for the back amount due.

Anyways, you are right anyone would be dumbfounded if they had over $70,000 worth of stuff and didn't think to sell even a single item to come up with the back amount due, and perhaps even cover several extra months.    You see most normal people would think "Hey...I have all of this stuff and if I just sell one thing I can cover my Storage rent for several months".  Now based on your "They always worked with me in the past" shows that there were some times you were probably caught up, you could have gotten access to your unit and sold one or two items.

Perhaps the reason you didn't do this is because your estimate is let's just say a bit exaggerated.   Or do you really want people to believe that you had not a penny to your name, but had $70,000 worth of stuff in storage?

Several of your estimates are just too laughable.  With perhaps the biggest laugh is from your $30,000 for clothes and shoes.

You do realize they were completely within their rights to do so, don't you?

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

It was nice of them to have worked with you, but a time comes when the contract is enforced.  Sorry for your property loss.

"They have always worked with me in the past."

Sounds like this was a recurring problem.